Are more sledders becoming idiots or are more idiots becoming sledders?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yup. And mohawks on their helmets, teddy bears strapped to their risers, ridiculous wraps and powder coating (without any attempt to ride the damn things), etc. But I think for the most part sledders are still a pretty good group.

their biggest attempt is in the parking lot with donuts, berms, and racing back and forth to warm up that awesome sounding sled.............friggin' parking lot hosers!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
May I chime in with an opinion. From what I have seen and I certainly do not paint everyone with the same brush. Problem is money and financing stuff, not to mention stupid but that has been addressed. Guys who normally wouldn't have the ability to own top of the line gear and earn respect working their way up to luxury are jumping that hurdle. Either they have a killer job, or don't care about living in a boat load of debt and poof instand d bag. Everyone wants to ride like some of the greats in those AWESOME videos out there (I wish). Difference is modesty or being humble. I get a serving of humble pie usually everytime I ride trust me. Anyway back to point, you take all these factors and add "the boys" and insecurity with ones own limits and you end up with people who don't give a tinkers damn about others because they are trying so hard to be someone they are not and want to hide it from the world. Or my other opinion is they were not raised right and their parents should be slapped.

In the span of 20 its frightning the level of arogance and bligerance out there these days. Young people trying to be the next poster child for monster, middle age people trying to keep up with the Jones and older people tired of putting up with the BS equals zero consideration left in the world. Everyone wants to blame someone or something else for there problems and have a good life given to them. I worked for mine (and believe me it is pretty damn good) and I am guilty of the above attitude at times but only after I have seen it towards me first. Only advice I keep telling myself is:

Respect is earned
Don't be that guy
Only thing that will fix stupid is Mother Nature and she will have her day.
It only takes one to ruin it for others, if you can, stop that one person.
Beer is best served icy cold soaking in a hot tub after a good days ride!!
Advil is my friend.

They are out there my friends, only thing we can do keep calm and chive on.

I am with DaveB and Boobage............the KCCO has had it's day.

Otherwise, well said!

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am with DaveB and Boobage............the KCCO has had it's day.

Otherwise, well said!

Nothing worse then losing something in context because it always sounds better in your head. I guess if I understood all those smily face chummys I might of had a ringer of a post. Regardless, I did a bit of an edit. SORRY!! for messing that post up folks. lol tough crowd love it.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a few people fall into the “sled trip rage syndrome”. Its where people get all worked up into a frenzy trying to get their highly anticipated sled trip started. Whether its from the grueling drive thru the mountains, dealing with road clowns, or waiting for your group to get their sh*t together. I think some people are exhausted and nerves are fried by the time they finally get the sled unloaded. I have a hard time understanding how you can be stressed when you are standing in the white wonderland but we see it all the time.
May 10 long deep meditative breaths as you drive up to park would go a long way...
This is 1/2 the reason I sold my sled 2 seasons ago....then I missed it, bought and rode last year....now I sold it again. I love love love sledding in Revy. I hate hate hate getting there and going home. And I hate hate hate the "new attitude" newbies out there.

Last edited:

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My bad, cheesy I know. It was a bit o sarcasim really. I find sites like the chive at times feed the d bags of the world. It is all about using your head and built in filters, to which some people don't have.

Bingo. That jason Ellis radio show is a solid producer of d bags as well. Imo

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May I chime in with an opinion. From what I have seen and I certainly do not paint everyone with the same brush. Problem is money and financing stuff, not to mention stupid but that has been addressed. Guys who normally wouldn't have the ability to own top of the line gear and earn respect working their way up to luxury are jumping that hurdle. Either they have a killer job, or don't care about living in a boat load of debt and poof instand d bag. Everyone wants to ride like some of the greats in those AWESOME videos out there (I wish). Difference is modesty or being humble. I get a serving of humble pie usually everytime I ride trust me. Anyway back to point, you take all these factors and add "the boys" and insecurity with ones own limits and you end up with people who don't give a tinkers damn about others because they are trying so hard to be someone they are not and want to hide it from the world. Or my other opinion is they were not raised right and their parents should be slapped.

In the span of 20 its frightning the level of arogance and bligerance out there these days. Young people trying to be the next poster child for monster, middle age people trying to keep up with the Jones and older people tired of putting up with the BS equals zero consideration left in the world. Everyone wants to blame someone or something else for there problems and have a good life given to them. I worked for mine (and believe me it is pretty damn good) and I am guilty of the above attitude at times but only after I have seen it towards me first. Only advice I keep telling myself is:

Respect is earned
Don't be that guy
Advil is my friend.

They are out there my friends, only thing we can do keep calm and chive on. (sarcasim)

Its like you read my mind! Was gonna write something very similar. And the funny thing is that this doesnt just apply to sledding. Its everywhere.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Respect is earned
Don't be that guy
Advil is my friend.

They are out there my friends, only thing we can do keep calm and chive on. (sarcasim)

Well said.Pretty much sums up the attitude of most people today.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its like you read my mind! Was gonna write something very similar. And the funny thing is that this doesnt just apply to sledding. Its everywhere.

Yep...too many silver spoon, mommy coddled, never had to scratch for a dollar, errogant ......sorry. better quit there and use my inside voice.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

dsenych

Reaction score
I think a few people fall into the “sled trip rage syndrome”. Its where people get all worked up into a frenzy trying to get their highly anticipated sled trip started. Whether its from the grueling drive thru the mountains, dealing with road clowns, or waiting for your group to get their sh*t together. I think some people are exhausted and nerves are fried by the time they finally get the sled unloaded. I have a hard time understanding how you can be stressed when you are standing in the white wonderland but we see it all the time.
May 10 long deep meditative breaths as you drive up to park would go a long way...

Anyone else getting tired of the "keep calm.." phrase or is that jut me?

I think you hit it on the head. Most of the guys out there are pretty decent people but even good guys can get snappy when they're trying to get on the hill and they've been waiting for the last month to get there. Good on RXN for helping a guy out even after he was a dick… I'm going to try and remember this if I run into a similar situation. As for the KCCO… maybe I'm getting a little sick of the saying but I still love the app!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Respect is earned
Don't be that guy
Advil is my friend.

Great post
But let me add, it's not just limited to the younger group but i see this attitude in all age group, even the one's with supposedly a mature, wiser attitude.
Even the 50+. In addition debt has no age limit, there are just as many living out of their means in the older crowd as there is in the younger crowd. But their debt is probably bigger.
Most humble pie eater's have been in this sport for a long time and are easily recognized by their concideration for other's, they take the time with no pressure.
They are the true diehard sledder's, with an honnest love for this sport.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find u really see a guys attitude when your stuck with no help somewhere and you hear a guy coming up... Comes within 5 feet of u and u see he's not one of your buddies hoping that he will turn around and come give a hand but nope never to be seen again .. So a two second tug turns into way more work then it needed to be... Ppl need to start helping each other and get rid of the Holier then tho attitude.. There will be a time when someone u could of helped and u didn't is in a place to help you

backseatrider

Reaction score
This is 1/2 the reason I sold my sled 2 seasons ago....then I missed it, bought and rode last year....now I sold it again. I love love love sledding in Revy. I hate hate hate getting there and going home. And I hate hate hate the "new attitude" newbies out there.

I think you should buy a sled and check out the Alberta trails. There is awesome riding to be had without making the trip to Revy due to the hardwork of a handful of volunteers who maintain the trails.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and my group of 3 coming out of chappell come across sled skiers going down through trees coming out at bottom of cut block. We see a sled siting up top, then as we get down to bottom see skies and helmets sitting on trail.The lead guy stops on tail a little passed this spot and say, did you see that sled stuck up that creek, no, well we should go see if they need help, so we go look up a small creek bed going nowhere and there is a guy an girl stuck up about 50 yard. Now he is trying to roll his sled over which is buried in the creek. He is pooped and his girl friend is small. We take are gear of and walk up in hip deep snow and give them a hand. If not they are there four at least an hr longer. No big deal to us , stop help then go. NOW get back to parking lot and find on ground beside our truck 2 coffee cups left there, 3 other trucks in lot. So pick up garbage for the lazy to.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My favourite is when you try and start a simple conversation with someone and all you get is a blank stare and they ride off. 3 people in the staging area at the time. I think some people are just born dinks. More people turn into temporary idiots because they're geared up weekend warriors and feel they have to put on the show. That goes for almost every weekend activity.

If I see someone sitting by their sled, I give them a thumbs up and see if they respond the same. If they don't then see if they need any help. Same with people that are stuck. Stop and help when you can. The benefit of stopping to help is that sometimes you learn something new. I carry a 20' rope with a 900lb biner on the end and loops every few feet for hand holds to pull stuck sleds. I roll my sled a lot more these days to get unstuck. I grab my shovel when I see a stuck rx1. :)

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That pizzy attitude is everywhere these days. That's why I pretty much stay local to ride now. Last 2 times out only our 3 trucks in the parking lot, and making fresh tracks in some pretty damn good riding for a low snow year. But I will say......if you're gonna be running a big enclosed truck and trailer for sledding you better learn patience. Most parking areas were never designed for that, and IMHO it's up to YOU to deal with it. I'm not about to spend my time in the morning trying to imagine what size of a rig MIGHT be showing up next, how much room he might need, and whether he has the ability to get it in and out or not. That's why I use a deck now instead of a trailer. :bow:

Last edited:

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find u really see a guys attitude when your stuck with no help somewhere and you hear a guy coming up... Comes within 5 feet of u and u see he's not one of your buddies hoping that he will turn around and come give a hand but nope never to be seen again .. So a two second tug turns into way more work then it needed to be... Ppl need to start helping each other and get rid of the Holier then tho attitude.. There will be a time when someone u could of helped and u didn't is in a place to help you
So true but the guys that would turn around and leave never seem to remember when they could have helped a guy out but they bitch the loudest to their buddies about the a@#$ole who left them stuck.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a good thread. SnoRiders Magazine has a huge readership all across Western Canada.. After reading these comments I'd love to do a Parking for Dummies Article. If you guys have pics of peeps behaving badly could you send them over as well.

What would be your advice to Riders regarding Parking, and parking Lot manners?

Thank you in advance!

Trish

snowbuster

Reaction score
I agree with the long enclosed trailers being a problem. My trailer is a 28' and isn't easy to find a space for, so we always try to get to the staging area early and start the row. If we get there late we usually unload sleds at the staging area and drive the rig down the road until we find a spot that doesn't box anyone in. It takes some time out of the day but that is the way it is with a long rig. We carry tire chains if things really go sideways, haven't needed them yet though. I used to have a deck, found it worked well for the spring rides when you needed to drive up the logging roads further, but overall didn't have enough storage room. I find most people in the staging areas pretty respectful, once and awhile we run across the difficult ones, they change their tune pretty quick once they are broke down or need something miles away from their trucks. I always stop for people stuck or broken down, just to check if they need anything. Even lending a tow rope can save a lot of grief. As far as stucks go, 3 guys can pull a sled out in minutes saving everyones backs for the rest of the day!

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guys with enclosed trailers do not need to drive out the front they can back out and the guys with decks could please put your ramp away when your finished unloading. its amazing how many units they can get in when its organized parking. oh and for those that need to park their sleds all over the place as they get ready....come on. We have found out its way more relaxing when you ride during the week.

Top Bottom