800 Can Am vs Polaris 850XP?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
QUOTE=lever96;1221925]I just know I am tired of wasting tread pulling both of em out.[/QUOTE Most people are trading their Canam`s and Popo`s for honda 350`s if they are at all serious about mudding......

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
QUOTE=lever96;1221925]I just know I am tired of wasting tread pulling both of em out.[/QUOTE Most people are trading their Canam`s and Popo`s for honda 350`s if they are at all serious about mudding......

he's going to need 5 foot snorkels then...... not enought power to even lift the fronts

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I used 2 wd in the bad places. Then some 4x4. Lol

Ask Tex he constantly said you in 4x4

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no doubt, all i seen all weekend was a 350 honda pulling out polaris and kawastuki's, also 1 suzyQ. that young lad was all over the trails, must be a pro rider, tex 78 stayed well away from the lad from mullit.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried from Thursday to Saturday to break my stock axles on purpose on my 2011 Polaris 850 XP with 70HP because I had my Rhino axles to install this afternoon and that went really well. I have the 3 inch lift with 30 inch Zilla tires and I beat my quad to death on very sh&y trails with 200 pounds on the front rack and over 200 pounds on the back racks and a 120 pound passenger. Do not worry about the trails, being clean, I always clean up the garbage and only Polaris's can make it on the trails I ride on. Hence, the garbage never makes it anywhere.:) My quad with me and a passenger all my gear 2 coolers, chainsaws, tent, bags of sh^t and caked on mud in the frame everywhere must have weighed about 1400lbs and it still shed through mud that without that extra clearance surely would have hung up and these tires shed that sh%t well. You could here the 850 motor just working to a point of failure and then it would spit chunks of mud out and I just kept moving forward, all on stock axles. The trails I ride on are ridiculous even with 17 inches of clearance you have to muscle your way through, hit thick mud and had it pinned several times 2 up, got to the logging road and that was a joy. The first day was 4hours of non stop riding, I hauled a trailer into my camp that weighed about 1200lbs and I dragged trees out of the bush on Saturday and at times got hung up where the motor was just chugging the tires to dig in the ground but I could not break anything, I was hoping to snap the stock axle to prove I needed to replace it with the rhino axles but it never happened, I changed them out for the rhino's anyway as I plan to put 32 Terminator tires on. Still have not broken anything on this 2011 XP, not even the slightest of problems, nothing. Had it up to the seat in loon sh%t as well, full of mud and into sand dunes and gravel, just hose it off and go again.

Thanks for recommending the 30 inch Zilla's they are indestructible, I think I want to go bigger, after this week I know now with the Rhino axles that this quad can handle 32's. The Rhino's have a much greater shaft diameter and the yokes look to be much larger with the bigger casings so I have a lot of confidence in them, going to go for the 32's, probably Terminators. My only complaint with the Zilla's is after coming out of the mud and onto the logging roads where there is gravel is that the stones and mud pack into the holes that are in the big lugs and at higher speeds they come flying out and into the fenders and at slow speeds on hard surfaces they will vibrate the steering due to the sharp front edge on the lugs, so I believe. However, Maxxis has a new trail tire called the Vipr with closed lugs and they are grounded down on the front edge on the lugs, but I will call to see if I can get a 32 or just go with the Terminators.

is this in the grims fairy tale book by chance? soundsa like a gooder, maybe bring some laughing towels out.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen the commercial, some of you guys probably own a sham wow too lol.....

Sent from my white iPhone 4

shenry

Reaction score
is this in the grims fairy tale book by chance? soundsa like a gooder, maybe bring some laughing towels out.

I applied for the fairy tale book but was denied, i broke my quad this week, bring on the laughing towels.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I applied for the fairy tale book but was denied, i broke my quad this week, bring on the laughing towels.
Well maybe I have won the pool as to when you break it. Ok what did you do to it?????

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would sell it, bitch it was a piece of crap and buy a brute as of yesterday.................

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats fine to get the hook but you still have to get to the winch to release the spool. If the front top of rack had a hook mount and a long lever to the winch to release it then that would work, I had to bury my face in loon ch!t to get at mine, right up against a bank as well. Something for all the dealers to think about. I can't remember what quad it was a few years back that had a high mounted winch that I seen not so good to pull from the top of the quad though, you want it down low and the controls up high.
man that's a lot of engineering.....why not just pull half your line out and wrap it around your bumper? works for me....I just carry a few slings and a 50' chunk of cable with loop ends in case more is needed and you can't get to the freespool knob.

shenry

Reaction score
Well maybe I have won the pool as to when you break it. Ok what did you do to it?????

You guys had a pool eh, go figure, well I'm a humble guy so I can take what's coming. So far like I said no problems except this one. If it happens again, then i'll have issues with Polaris. The part that broke looks pretty cheap, heard rumours that parts for the 2011 were made with cheap metals from china and it looks that way here. The front differential has a plate that holds the drive shaft that runs to the rear of the bike and that plate blew off, I'll send the pics.

I would sell it, bitch it was a piece of crap and buy a brute as of yesterday.................

I'll never buy a brute after owning 70HP, have to go up, maybe the new Can Am but not the old, see how the Po Po holds up next time. I was running down the train tracks in the slag at 70 kmph and slag was kicking up into the frame, so I am hoping a random piece is what initially cracked the cast plate holding the shaft to the front diff. It should be covered under warranty.....see what the dealer has to say.

man that's a lot of engineering.....why not just pull half your line out and wrap it around your bumper? works for me....I just carry a few slings and a 50' chunk of cable with loop ends in case more is needed and you can't get to the freespool knob.

I heard of this before, so you jogged the memory and it makes a lot of sense if you suspect your getting into a good one. I would not want even a little bit of rope or cable rapped around the bumper though...it's way cleaner looking in the spool so the engineering would be appreciated on my end, extra cable is always a good idea as well, could of used that this weekend as I was digging around in swamp rubarb looking for something solid because I did not have enough in the spool, found out the hard way that there was a big black hornets nest in the shrubs.

The broke
P1340314.jpg

and the stuck, only cause the front tires were dead.
P1340313.jpg

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys had a pool eh, go figure, well I'm a humble guy so I can take what's coming. So far like I said no problems except this one. If it happens again, then i'll have issues with Polaris. The part that broke looks pretty cheap, heard rumours that parts for the 2011 were made with cheap metals from china and it looks that way here. The front differential has a plate that holds the drive shaft that runs to the rear of the bike and that plate blew off, I'll send the pics.

I'll never buy a brute after owning 70HP, have to go up, maybe the new Can Am but not the old, see how the Po Po holds up next time. I was running down the train tracks in the slag at 70 kmph and slag was kicking up into the frame, so I am hoping a random piece is what initially cracked the cast plate holding the shaft to the front diff. It should be covered under warranty.....see what the dealer has to say.

I heard of this before, so you jogged the memory and it makes a lot of sense if you suspect your getting into a good one. I would not want even a little bit of rope or cable rapped around the bumper though...it's way cleaner looking in the spool so the engineering would be appreciated on my end, extra cable is always a good idea as well, could of used that this weekend as I was digging around in swamp rubarb looking for something solid because I did not have enough in the spool, found out the hard way that there was a big black hornets nest in the shrubs.

The broke
P1340314.jpg

and the stuck, only cause the front tires were dead.
P1340313.jpg

LOL It was not random slag...That happens when you slam the front end down , while on the throttle with big tires . Seen it on another 850, fairly rare; mostly rider error. If you come out of a hole and the backs are still spinning and the fronts slam down hard to the ground it will shear the ADC unit off. POPO could make it stronger, you will need a new diff if not covered by warranty. About 1500 $ apx parts & labour. Put your stock tires on ,or you will be SOL i would think.......

shenry

Reaction score
LOL It was not random slag...That happens when you slam the front end down , while on the throttle with big tires . Seen it on another 850, fairly rare; mostly rider error. If you come out of a hole and the backs are still spinning and the fronts slam down hard to the ground it will shear the ADC unit off. POPO could make it stronger, you will need a new diff if not covered by warranty. About 1500 $ apx parts & labour. Put your stock tires on ,or you will be SOL i would think.......

Yamma, I talked to my salesman, told me to put it back to stalk and bring it in, then they will have to cover it, he thinks, problem is it's at camp. I take it up by train, only way to get to my camp other than a plane, and now it does not fit through the doors of the train, had to squeeze it in when it was stock, so I have to bring the tires out this weekend and exchange them first. I undid the yoke so driving around in two wheel drive for now. Never owned a anything new since 2005 and they were all low hp so seeing this has me looking a bit sideways as to why it's not built stronger. I put it through hell a couple weeks ago even in the mud and nothing happened. I'm not feeling the love right now. Still love it for the trails with the big clearance, maybe I can detune it to 50 hp like all those reliable quads out there LOL Polaris does need a stronger diff though in my opinion for the 850, the HO will be that much worse.

Top Bottom