2014 Pro RMK 800 Ride Report - 1000 kms

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maxwell the sled I borrowed and rode was just stock as stock can be. my 860 is getting all dialed in and setup but I did find the initial punch the throttle and go to be a bit lacking but it it did jump up on snow better and clutches did engage a lot smoother wich may have been the reasoning for it feeling like it was lacking power.Like every sled they all need fine tuning and your own personal adjustment but initial response was definitely positive things here and there that need worked on or changed but for the most part felt pretty happy with it but definitely scared that the took weight out of the wrong spots on these machines but only time will tell.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maxwell the sled I borrowed and rode was just stock as stock can be. my 860 is getting all dialed in and setup but I did find the initial punch the throttle and go to be a bit lacking but it it did jump up on snow better and clutches did engage a lot smoother wich may have been the reasoning for it feeling like it was lacking power.Like every sled they all need fine tuning and your own personal adjustment but initial response was definitely positive things here and there that need worked on or changed but for the most part felt pretty happy with it but definitely scared that the took weight out of the wrong spots on these machines but only time will tell.

was your old etec a 154? 163? what length was the pro you borrowed.

nice to hear some honest feedback from a previous doo rider.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Ken Lol I will say this from riding a buddies for a day but i'm sure it's just initial feel. I did find the pro to be a little harder on the arms at the end of the day. I found it initially harder to get the sled into a side hill compared to my xm but was a bit easier to hold the sidehill but definitely was harder to get on edge you definitely needed the burandt one leg dangle to get it started so didn't really like that at all. Power seems to be lacking definitely doesn't have that instant snap of the doo but it gets up on the snow really well and clutching is very smooth. Side panels are big time annoying they had to be perfect everytime or would just pop open or be loose and rattling. I feel they may have taken to much weight out of key areas as our buddy was stuck in a creek needless to say reefing on his back bumper we broke that and also bent the tunnel so that worries me a bit. Suspension feels really nice it sucks up the whooped out trail really well when adjusted. It defiantely makes getting unstuck easier as you just wiggle and jiggle and pin it and seems to works its way back on top it defiantely doesn't trench as much. It does however sound extremely cheap and like a pile of plastic when it is idling and running so that kinda makes me laugh. All in all good sled looking forward to more seat time and the BB kit I think this sled has some better qualities than a doo then also the doo has some better qualities than the poo. The poo does use more fuel and more oil. Also found the Poo does not start nearly as well as the doo. The doo when cold is a 2 pull max to start 1 pull when warm I found the Poo was 4-5 pulls when cold and atleast 2 or more when warm. The POO is definitely a sweet machine and cant wait to get more seat time on it as I feel I will enjoy it but it definitely is not the leading the pack by much if anything at all. But for all POO owners do yourself a favor now and invest in some Lethbridge Machine Shop front and rear bumpers it will make your life a lot easier and not have to worry about having your bumper crumble apart in your hands.

Sounds like something isn't right. Both of mine and my buddies 13 start 2nd pull when cold (even -25) and first pull when warm. Unless it's the gf trying to start it, not saying, but just saying. LOL

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Ken Lol I will say this from riding a buddies for a day but i'm sure it's just initial feel. I did find the pro to be a little harder on the arms at the end of the day. I found it initially harder to get the sled into a side hill compared to my xm but was a bit easier to hold the sidehill but definitely was harder to get on edge you definitely needed the burandt one leg dangle to get it started so didn't really like that at all. Power seems to be lacking definitely doesn't have that instant snap of the doo but it gets up on the snow really well and clutching is very smooth. Side panels are big time annoying they had to be perfect everytime or would just pop open or be loose and rattling. I feel they may have taken to much weight out of key areas as our buddy was stuck in a creek needless to say reefing on his back bumper we broke that and also bent the tunnel so that worries me a bit. Suspension feels really nice it sucks up the whooped out trail really well when adjusted. It defiantely makes getting unstuck easier as you just wiggle and jiggle and pin it and seems to works its way back on top it defiantely doesn't trench as much. It does however sound extremely cheap and like a pile of plastic when it is idling and running so that kinda makes me laugh. All in all good sled looking forward to more seat time and the BB kit I think this sled has some better qualities than a doo then also the doo has some better qualities than the poo. The poo does use more fuel and more oil. Also found the Poo does not start nearly as well as the doo. The doo when cold is a 2 pull max to start 1 pull when warm I found the Poo was 4-5 pulls when cold and atleast 2 or more when warm. The POO is definitely a sweet machine and cant wait to get more seat time on it as I feel I will enjoy it but it definitely is not the leading the pack by much if anything at all. But for all POO owners do yourself a favor now and invest in some Lethbridge Machine Shop front and rear bumpers it will make your life a lot easier and not have to worry about having your bumper crumble apart in your hands.
HaHa no problem buddy. Everyone should take the opportunity to ride all the brands when they get the chance. Thats the only way you will find out if the ride is right for you. No problem riding with you on a Poo or a Doo! See you on the hill.:cool::beer:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maxwell my 11 etec was 163 but had full bikemann pipe and clutching with shockwave helix and Vforce 3 reeds but my 13 was 163 with a can on it and quick clickers. As much as I love the doo and would still go back to one in a heartbeat the poo definitely has the better attack angle and gets up on top a bit easier. I'm not sure there is a ton of guys here that are having that same thing 2+ pulls every time definitely not the biggest and most girls would beat me up but I'am able to pull an 08 doo 860 w/13.5-1 ratio over in 2 pulls so there is something weird. but seems like everyone I ride with poo's have this same issue and it seems to be all the 13-14's i'm not sure why but just seem to notice it a lot. Ya Ken I figured try them all out the cervus agro sales man is a great customer of mine and wanted to show my support and loyalty Looking forward to riding with ya when I finally get to ride haha.

LeapingLizzard

Reaction score
Website
www.tdkcustomhomes.com
I'm a fan of the RMK myself. I have a 2011 155 and just bought a 2014 163. Can't wait to feel that belt drive! One thing I don't understand is why people claim the XM doesn't get up on the snow. The first day I rode my 155 Polaris it would hardly move! Trenches straight up and down on flat ground! A few tweets with the rear suspension and major difference. Can the front shock on the XM be loosened slightly and the rear tightened slightly to get the sled up on the snow better?

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHa no problem buddy. Everyone should take the opportunity to ride all the brands when they get the chance. Thats the only way you will find out if the ride is right for you. No problem riding with you on a Poo or a Doo! See you on the hill.:cool::beer:

That has always been a tough one, just check with FredW, I would love to have Really tried them all but they are such finicky expensive toys that I prefer to ride mine, not even my girlfriends, don't want to end up paying for something that happens. And after 20 yrs **** happens, all kinds of it, seen it. Again, ask Fred. I love my polaris, but it is my dealer that makes up my mind, after all these years they treat me like gold, I even signed up for the Skidoo demo here in Revy, but just didn't want to be that new guy who just bought a sled, I prefer to be the guy who gets new guy sled taken off bench and mine fixed. Doesn't matter what you are selling, right Jared? Service is king.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the RMK myself. I have a 2011 155 and just bought a 2014 163. Can't wait to feel that belt drive! One thing I don't understand is why people claim the XM doesn't get up on the snow. The first day I rode my 155 Polaris it would hardly move! Trenches straight up and down on flat ground! A few tweets with the rear suspension and major difference. Can the front shock on the XM be loosened slightly and the rear tightened slightly to get the sled up on the snow better?

Was riding with my friend the other day and w bot were on 154doos and noticed his seemed to trench less from a dead stop. He put a different spring in the primary to bring engagement down to 3100rpm instead of 4000rpm(all he did). Said skidoo tests there mountain sled in Colorado at 12000feet and at that altitude you need the higher engagement speed, but at 6000feet it engages to hard. Any hoo put the different spring in yesterday, try it out today. The Pro is a nice sled but they get stuck too, trust me.

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RevyG I agree service is King forsure! and good service goes along way! I feel I got pretty lucky here in SW ab we have some amazing dealers here that will do anything for customers and that's what it's all about.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Kev I still haven't rode my 860 yet just a stock 155 my sled is finally done now but I guess it is having some serious bog issues on these new 14 860's at 7000 rpm the guys yesterday was running like a turd hopefully we can get mine dialed

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Kev I still haven't rode my 860 yet just a stock 155 my sled is finally done now but I guess it is having some serious bog issues on these new 14 860's at 7000 rpm the guys yesterday was running like a turd hopefully we can get mine dialed

Who's tuning these sleds? I've only heard good things about the 860 and Drop-ins no matter what year... I hope to have time to put my Drop-in in on Friday....then off to Eureka or Pow Cow on Saturday!!

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do u guys recommend for clutching with the rktek drop in kit. Also what is the best can to run as well? Had a drop invite the 13:1 head put in my 2011 and I can't seem to get over 79-8000 rpm in deep snow! I can get 8350 on hard pack

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do u guys recommend for clutching with the rktek drop in kit. Also what is the best can to run as well? Had a drop invite the 13:1 head put in my 2011 and I can't seem to get over 79-8000 rpm in deep snow! I can get 8350 on hard pack

What brand of weights are you running? How many grams each? Primary and secondary springs?

Running too much weight in the primary or having weight in the wrong place is the normal issue for your problem, but it could be a bad primary spring or your secondary may not be backshifting well under load. Let us know what you have and maybe we can help you out!

Last edited:

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Kev we are just using the numbers right from RK TEK on these kits stock can and all

Clutching??? Also, many peeps are mentioning that more fuel up top works better power wise than what Kelsey suggests. Contact Rhodesie on here...he has a fare amount of experience with the 858...

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulled a bit of fueling out on the 6500-7500 settings and seems to have made a fair bit of difference. I'm going on a road ride this weekend finally got machine so I'm gonna try a couple different numbers in it

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was your old etec a 154? 163? what length was the pro you borrowed.

nice to hear some honest feedback from a previous doo rider.
I have been riding doo's for the last 16 years yesterday was first day on the 14 163 rmk, am coming off a 13 154 xm. Overall I like the feel of the polaris it doesnt dart around like the XM, the xm does have more power but the polaris has way better clutching. I ride my sleds right off the showroom floor, short of skidplates, better bumpers and accessiories I don't mess with clutching or motors been that route and have got to the point rather ride then tune constantly. Find that the polaris does get up on the snow better then the xm, the steering has been the biggest difference the doo has better positioning and less effort. In the trees find the pro is easier to manouver and more predictable. Fuel mileage based on 1 ride is on par with my xm, oil consumption definetly more but I don't mind as I felt the xm didn't use enough. Day 2 today time to set up the suspension on it.

Top Bottom