2014 Pro RMK 800 Ride Report - 1000 kms

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just turned 1000 kms on 2014 Pro this weekend and I figured others would like to hear how it has been running.

Firstly it has Carl's clutching and a TKI 2.25:1 belt drive kit and an Arctic Cat clutch drive belt. Other than that, it is stock.

The cat belt still looks new.

The machine has been nearly flawless, other than a 15 minute period where one day it seemed to be starving for fuel. Maybe there was some ice in it?

Anyway this setup really rips, compared to a 12 and 14 e-tech, the Polaris gets up on the snow better and is snappier at lower speeds. It is only on longer pulls that the extra hp of the Ski-Doo is noticeable. Climbing in deep powder is very similar to the 2014 XM 163 too as the XM is being held back due to trenching. With the extra power and track, the XM should do better.

Fuel and oil consumption has been really low too even though I have turned up the oil pump by 2 turns.

Yesterday the e-tech took 21 litres of fuel and the Pro took 23 litres with similar abuse.

Attachments

• BlackWhite.jpg
    BlackWhite.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,067
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,070
  • Pro.jpg
    Pro.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,067

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just over 800 miles on mine. So far not one burp or fart. GGB can with MDS clutching. Just put on an Arctic Cat 048 belt as well.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you take a comparison video with an xm vs a pro using your definition of "gets up on the snow better" I just haven't seen it so if you could show me it would help me understand what your referring too.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just turned 1000 kms on 2014 Pro this weekend and I figured others would like to hear how it has been running.

Firstly it has Carl's clutching and a TKI 2.25:1 belt drive kit and an Arctic Cat clutch drive belt. Other than that, it is stock.

The cat belt still looks new.

The machine has been nearly flawless, other than a 15 minute period where one day it seemed to be starving for fuel. Maybe there was some ice in it?

Anyway this setup really rips, compared to a 12 and 14 e-tech, the Polaris gets up on the snow better and is snappier at lower speeds. It is only on longer pulls that the extra hp of the Ski-Doo is noticeable. Climbing in deep powder is very similar to the 2014 XM 163 too as the XM is being held back due to trenching. With the extra power and track, the XM should do better.

Fuel and oil consumption has been really low too even though I have turned up the oil pump by 2 turns.

Yesterday the e-tech took 21 litres of fuel and the Pro took 23 litres with similar abuse.

Excellent review and im sure many will agree on results. Still stock gearing with that setup? How do u like cat belt compared to poo 115?

[Freerider]-

Reaction score
250km and I've been having starting issues :/ I know there will be a few bad pickles amongst the good so it hasn't made me think any less. Glad to hear all the positives on these sleds.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
250km and I've been having starting issues :/ I know there will be a few bad pickles amongst the good so it hasn't made me think any less. Glad to hear all the positives on these sleds.

There are always the "lemons" in every brand, being it sleds, ATV, cars, etc. Threads like this typically aren't posted as it just starts a dicks out measurement match and gets super annoying.

But like any brand the majority are out there riding without an issue.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got one of those lemons. It's a '12 mind you...
Just about everyone in my group has switched to , some from skidoo, and yamaha. All are loving there pros. I'm the only one with nagging issues. I run a turbo, but all my problems have been machine issues. Stator, throttle bodies, tps, and now fuel pump.
Even with all the grief, a 15 turbo is in the plans. I too love how easy they are to ride, and how they get on top of the snow.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you take a comparison video with an xm vs a pro using your definition of "gets up on the snow better" I just haven't seen it so if you could show me it would help me understand what your referring too.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Well I would like to make that video for you but I am not riding this week so this pic of the 2 Doo's stuck below me is the best I can provide.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 638

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent review and im sure many will agree on results. Still stock gearing with that setup? How do u like cat belt compared to poo 115?

The stock gearing is 2.09:1 Mine is 2.25:1 The TKI Belt drive and the Cat 048 belt on the clutches make this sled feel really smooth compared to stock. Not saying the stock drive belt is rough but this over-all a real smooth set-up and I am not sure what has smoothed t out. Could be the balancing of the primary that Carl's did.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What did the belt drive hardware and belt for the drive cost?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are $799 CDN. I have 2 kits in stock if interested. Might be cheaper than a Heli ride!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL nice, thats ok i can wait until you get out next

Maxwell, I tried to make a unbiased comparison and rode Doo for about 17 years. Doo's have great motors, great warranty great fit and finish and best of all they are Canadian but they are fat compared to the Pro. I can't wait for them to build a 400 lb machine that has bodywork narrower than their ski stance and now I am even sold on the Pro's straight up steering post even though it is harder on the arms and shoulders.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell, I tried to make a unbiased comparison and rode Doo for about 17 years. Doo's have great motors, great warranty great fit and finish and best of all they are Canadian but they are fat compared to the Pro. I can't wait for them to build a 400 lb machine that has bodywork narrower than their ski stance and now I am even sold on the Pro's straight up steering post even though it is harder on the arms and shoulders.

im not denying anything about the weight or anything about the pro for that matter. i just havent witnessed this hoping ontop of the snow better and i ride with alot of pros. Thats all. if you get a chance to take a video thats great. it not no big deal. cheers

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not denying anything about the weight or anything about the pro for that matter. i just havent witnessed this hoping ontop of the snow better and i ride with alot of pros. Thats all. if you get a chance to take a video thats great. it not no big deal. cheers

In our group we all agreed that the Pro is not a sled for big heavy guys, the Doo is better for them. This might be why the Pro pops up better for some than others. The video that was posted on page 1, pretty much sums it up. The Doo would have augured in.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great review!! I have 180 miles on my 14 163 all stock except MBRP can.I loosened my RTS 2 full turns so it wheelies out of creeks a little better.My sled rips stock clutching pulling 8250 8300 @ 6-7.5K.Im running shell gold and a few extra glugs of oil in tank.I did have a brake light short and a cord pulling on belt on second ride.Dealer replaced belt and brake light switch,harness.I have also vented my cutch's as with my riding style they were getting hot.I too have ridden a 14xm and its not for me feels soft and fat in the front,rolls over nice though,I was also underwhelmed by the etec.Did not like the narrow bars in my gut.

Top Bottom