2014 Pro RMK 800 Ride Report - 1000 kms

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was On a stock doo last week it was a 14, and I think your right with the heavy weight, that 550 lbs becomes evident real quick in the steep and deep, and the tmotion is just a bandaid for the heavy problem

we were also in the trees latter in the day and I see what your talking about trenches, but still think their weight is the biggest enemy... They have good snap but can't get there ass up

we did have a poo ride with us one day, and climbed some nice stuff, but had a hair dryer, stockers stayed on the bunny hills...

Good to hear your stocker is running good, but after my one day on a stocker for me, It is not my flavour of tea:nono:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just turned 1000 kms on 2014 Pro this weekend and I figured others would like to hear how it has been running.

Firstly it has Carl's clutching and a TKI 2.25:1 belt drive kit and an Arctic Cat clutch drive belt. Other than that, it is stock.

The cat belt still looks new.

The machine has been nearly flawless, other than a 15 minute period where one day it seemed to be starving for fuel. Maybe there was some ice in it?

Anyway this setup really rips, compared to a 12 and 14 e-tech, the Polaris gets up on the snow better and is snappier at lower speeds. It is only on longer pulls that the extra hp of the Ski-Doo is noticeable. Climbing in deep powder is very similar to the 2014 XM 163 too as the XM is being held back due to trenching. With the extra power and track, the XM should do better.

Fuel and oil consumption has been really low too even though I have turned up the oil pump by 2 turns.

Yesterday the e-tech took 21 litres of fuel and the Pro took 23 litres with similar abuse.

How many times was the clutch side panel open on the po po that day???

3 doo's and 0 panels open

sent while I should be drinking tea's

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was On a stock doo last week it was a 14, and I think your right with the heavy weight, that 550 lbs becomes evident real quick in the steep and deep, and the tmotion is just a bandaid for the heavy problem

we were also in the trees latter in the day and I see what your talking about trenches, but still think their weight is the biggest enemy... They have good snap but can't get there ass up

we did have a poo ride with us one day, and climbed some nice stuff, but had a hair dryer, stockers stayed on the bunny hills...

Good to hear your stocker is running good, but after my one day on a stocker for me, It is not my flavour of tea:nono:

The stock setup trenches bad

The skid needs setup

Yes the po po does get up on the snow better , but think it's the track...

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a hill not a chance but flat ground ya.......tell u what I will take vid and to to replicate that exact scenario in deeper snow with a m8 and a xm this weekend in revy .......just about any mountain sled out there will pull out with a hand full of throttle on flat with no obsticals

Nope, it won't. We've been having this little friendly argument since 2011, stick em both side by side, get off and just ski pull with as much throttle as needed and the Pro always comes back on top easier. Always. Even the hardcore Doo-Tards in our group have had to admit this. I assume weight is a big factor and front back balance point. Jump on both in a deep meadow and pin em both, the same reason the Doo wheelies so bad is the same reason it doesn't pop up as well. Don't have a lot of Cats with us so no comment there, but we're gonna find out this year.

Last edited:

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many times was the clutch side panel open on the po po that day???

3 doo's and 0 panels open

really? Now we are comparing how many times we open our side panels? Hahaha. I only open mine to get at my dual cooker Thing can(custom, slow and fast cooker on one can, it's sweet! Thanks Al)
this whole thing is getting old, it comes down to rider, I know guys who could ride a skandic where most guys I see around here could not put their fancy new sled. You can not tell me different, just cause these guys buy these things doesn't mean s**t, look at NASCAR, they all have almost same car by rule, why is one guy lapped 4 times, just how big are your balls?
I see it everyday, half the parking lot is either stuck halfway up the trail then so tired they are at the cabin all day or planted on Alberta hill or wherever, I know a lot of you guys can ride but you know what I am saying.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will Know this season what the differences is for handling from an xm to a pro. I had skidoo since 2008 when Mr. r's went to New Way I decided I need to support my local PC Polaris dealer so I bought a 155 pro 2014 but I did throw an rk tek 860 at it with some rooster clutching and just getting it setup now. I know obviously my 860 is gonna be a way different power story but i'm curious about the handling, how well it gets up on top of snow. boondocking abilities compared to my xm and I will give you an unbiased opinion by feb but I will say I'm pretty pumped to ride it.

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyday there is a new hold up the way things are going i'm gonna be lucky to get 2 months in this year. they got the big bore in now working on clutching I leave to mexico next weekend not back till feb still gotta break motor in season pretty much over i'm kinda pissed this sled better be the best thing ever haha

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2014 pro 163 coming off a 2013 XM 154 looking forward to see what it does

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will Know this season what the differences is for handling from an xm to a pro. I had skidoo since 2008 when Mr. r's went to New Way I decided I need to support my local PC Polaris dealer so I bought a 155 pro 2014 but I did throw an rk tek 860 at it with some rooster clutching and just getting it setup now. I know obviously my 860 is gonna be a way different power story but i'm curious about the handling, how well it gets up on top of snow. boondocking abilities compared to my xm and I will give you an unbiased opinion by feb but I will say I'm pretty pumped to ride it.
Jared??? Wtf??? No cards no letters?? Lol

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'll already tell you the answer:D Honestly, I tried real hard to love the XM...I was going to snowcheck two of them, but when I took my buddies to Blue River for 5 days - It simply didn't work for me. It had good power and I could see it being a lot of fun if you were in the deep all day, but it wasn't predictable like the PRO in all conditions. I am far from brand loyal, but I have to say that the PRO chassis is the best to date for technical riding...IMHO

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOVE my new Pro 163, wasn't a fan of the Doo. Seems to me all the gimmicks are still just bandaids for a lackluster chassis not developed for technical mountain riding.

What? It rolls over easy with a 36" stance, flexing track and a tilting suspension? With all that, so would a Buick, doesn't make it a good mountain sled..........

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard great things about all the new sleds but the only one I have experience is the pro. I've got 700 miles on my 13 and love it. It is very predictable, and easy to ride!

Sent from my iPhone using

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOVE my new Pro 163, wasn't a fan of the Doo. Seems to me all the gimmicks are still just bandaids for a lackluster chassis not developed for technical mountain riding.

What? It rolls over easy with a 36" stance, flexing track and a tilting suspension? With all that, so would a Buick, doesn't make it a good mountain sled..........

Haha i can hear the local doo tribe rallying a response as we speak

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Ken Lol I will say this from riding a buddies for a day but i'm sure it's just initial feel. I did find the pro to be a little harder on the arms at the end of the day. I found it initially harder to get the sled into a side hill compared to my xm but was a bit easier to hold the sidehill but definitely was harder to get on edge you definitely needed the burandt one leg dangle to get it started so didn't really like that at all. Power seems to be lacking definitely doesn't have that instant snap of the doo but it gets up on the snow really well and clutching is very smooth. Side panels are big time annoying they had to be perfect everytime or would just pop open or be loose and rattling. I feel they may have taken to much weight out of key areas as our buddy was stuck in a creek needless to say reefing on his back bumper we broke that and also bent the tunnel so that worries me a bit. Suspension feels really nice it sucks up the whooped out trail really well when adjusted. It defiantely makes getting unstuck easier as you just wiggle and jiggle and pin it and seems to works its way back on top it defiantely doesn't trench as much. It does however sound extremely cheap and like a pile of plastic when it is idling and running so that kinda makes me laugh. All in all good sled looking forward to more seat time and the BB kit I think this sled has some better qualities than a doo then also the doo has some better qualities than the poo. The poo does use more fuel and more oil. Also found the Poo does not start nearly as well as the doo. The doo when cold is a 2 pull max to start 1 pull when warm I found the Poo was 4-5 pulls when cold and atleast 2 or more when warm. The POO is definitely a sweet machine and cant wait to get more seat time on it as I feel I will enjoy it but it definitely is not the leading the pack by much if anything at all. But for all POO owners do yourself a favor now and invest in some Lethbridge Machine Shop front and rear bumpers it will make your life a lot easier and not have to worry about having your bumper crumble apart in your hands.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Ken Lol I will say this from riding a buddies for a day but i'm sure it's just initial feel. I did find the pro to be a little harder on the arms at the end of the day. I found it initially harder to get the sled into a side hill compared to my xm but was a bit easier to hold the sidehill but definitely was harder to get on edge you definitely needed the burandt one leg dangle to get it started so didn't really like that at all. Power seems to be lacking definitely doesn't have that instant snap of the doo but it gets up on the snow really well and clutching is very smooth. Side panels are big time annoying they had to be perfect everytime or would just pop open or be loose and rattling. I feel they may have taken to much weight out of key areas as our buddy was stuck in a creek needless to say reefing on his back bumper we broke that and also bent the tunnel so that worries me a bit. Suspension feels really nice it sucks up the whooped out trail really well when adjusted. It defiantely makes getting unstuck easier as you just wiggle and jiggle and pin it and seems to works its way back on top it defiantely doesn't trench as much. It does however sound extremely cheap and like a pile of plastic when it is idling and running so that kinda makes me laugh. All in all good sled looking forward to more seat time and the BB kit I think this sled has some better qualities than a doo then also the doo has some better qualities than the poo. The poo does use more fuel and more oil. Also found the Poo does not start nearly as well as the doo. The doo when cold is a 2 pull max to start 1 pull when warm I found the Poo was 4-5 pulls when cold and atleast 2 or more when warm. The POO is definitely a sweet machine and cant wait to get more seat time on it as I feel I will enjoy it but it definitely is not the leading the pack by much if anything at all. But for all POO owners do yourself a favor now and invest in some Lethbridge Machine Shop front and rear bumpers it will make your life a lot easier and not have to worry about having your bumper crumble apart in your hands.

even with an 860 it still feels like its lacking? or do you have some tuning to do

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really? Now we are comparing how many times we open our side panels? Hahaha. I only open mine to get at my dual cooker Thing can(custom, slow and fast cooker on one can, it's sweet! Thanks Al)
this whole thing is getting old, it comes down to rider, I know guys who could ride a skandic where most guys I see around here could not put their fancy new sled. You can not tell me different, just cause these guys buy these things doesn't mean s**t, look at NASCAR, they all have almost same car by rule, why is one guy lapped 4 times, just how big are your balls?
I see it everyday, half the parking lot is either stuck halfway up the trail then so tired they are at the cabin all day or planted on Alberta hill or wherever, I know a lot of you guys can ride but you know what I am saying.

It was a funny to Chris

U had to be there to understand

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ok Now thats friggen funny , even you Doo Tards have to give him credit. LOL

Top Bottom