2014 Pro RMK 800 Ride Report - 1000 kms

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People use the word predictable a lot when comparing the two. Can you explain a little more what you yourself mean by that. Also darting do you mean on the trail or in the snow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Maxwell the Pro is predictable to me in this way: When I have to side hill through a nasty 3 ft trench the Pro cuts right through and doesn't throw you off course. On my doo's I would avoid initiating the side hill if I had a choice, I might end up on my ass. Also at any speed you always can counter steer and roll the Pro on to one ski to maneuver, on the doo at low speed you steer in the direction you want to go and when going faster then you can counter steer to avoid objects. At speeds in between, you don't know which way to steer. Tight trees at these speeds makes you go slower to navigate and you can get stuck or in a tree well. I am eating my words here because I used to think doo was best at everything

. And Maxwell is just looking for justification to jump to a Pro so leave him alone.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell the Pro is predictable to me in this way: When I have to side hill through a nasty 3 ft trench the Pro cuts right through and doesn't throw you off course. On my doo's I would avoid initiating the side hill if I had a choice, I might end up on my ass. Also at any speed you always can counter steer and roll the Pro on to one ski to maneuver, on the doo at low speed you steer in the direction you want to go and when going faster then you can counter steer to avoid objects. At speeds in between, you don't know which way to steer. Tight trees at these speeds makes you go slower to navigate and you can get stuck or in a tree well. I am eating my words here because I used to think doo was best at everything

. And Maxwell is just looking for justification to jump to a Pro so leave him alone.

Woops there is the po po brain wash video coming out

:beer::beer::beer: had to say it

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Woops there is the po po brain wash video coming out

:beer::beer::beer: had to say it

Maybe so but you have to admit you enjoyed having the Poo on your ass all the way down the mountain? It was a fun fast ride.

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was referring to my motor being stock (until I installed the RK Tek Drop-in last night:D) Mine has always been clutched (MDS Weights/Primary Spring/Secondary Spring), and it is also geared down with the 7 tooth drivers needed to fit the 3" (without doing a D&R). I think that these sleds need to be geared down one way or another!!

HRT... I am looking forward to a little seat time on the Pro this weekend :)
Was really on the fence this year until the Dark/DOO side won me over... for now !

RN

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe so but you have to admit you enjoyed having the Poo on your ass all the way down the mountain? It was a fun fast ride.

I stopped and used t.please on my azz the first corner

Couldn't get it to turn, no matter what I did at speed, had to use the snow bank to bank and turn... Henceforth the shat issue

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stopped and used t.please on my azz the first corner

Couldn't get it to turn, no matter what I did at speed, had to use the snow bank to bank and turn... Henceforth the shat issue

Yeah once you're used to a trail sled , a mountain chassis is tough to get used to on a trail. :cool:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well finally got some rides on mine my initial thoughts so far is nice handling sled cant say its any easier to tip up on side than my cm but doesn't have that tendency to pull you down hill like the skidoo chassis always has done, I have the BB in mine soI cant talk power difference as that is unfair, doesn't burn much oil or fuel but is very similar to doo in that part, But fit and finish is where poo lacks BIG TIME! I know why polaris is the lightest on the market they took way to much weight out of critical areas. I figure even a yamaha could be this light if they used this cheap carbon fibre and metals that they are using and holding it together with glue. Im already having to go out and have A-Arms made cause I'm not gonna pay over $200 for that bottom A-Arm let alone additional money for the even worse top one, the carbon fibre uprights have already had afew casualties here leaving guys stranded so those are needing replacement, my rear running board broke where its held together with glue so needed new ones so just went air frames for those, front and rear bumpers break when you "Flick" them so had to replace them, tunnel creased from pulling on rear bumper bumper broke had to lift tunnel and running boards ended up creasing tunnel. I just found for guys who wanna ride them hard you gotta replace a ton of stuff just to feel a bit safer with taking it out to play I feel polaris should say Fawk this weight game lets put some strength back into it and worry about a powerful motor. i like the sled it does ride nice but dear god please don't make it any lighter I just dont feel the overall quality is there thats just my opinion on my new sled

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's to bad you are having trouble with all those parts breaking already. Over 900 miles on mine and no problems with A arms or carbon fiber or bumpers, ok sure bumpers are light not strong, well back one but I am not going to change it till it breaks. Have not had any "glue problems" they use that stuff on fighter jets. All I do is fill it up with gas and oil and ride the snot out of it.4 year warranty. I Guess I got a good one. Hope after all that stuff you have to replace to feel confident riding it you actually like it. Almost sounds like maybe doolaide will be back on the menu.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, but , sorry cant agree. Don't make them heavier, that's just going backwards. I put 3000 miles on an 11 and 1000 miles on a 13, put Cat long rear bumper on the 11 and a van amburg extension on 13 (174) never had one glue or tunnel issue on either one. the front bumper is IMO a crush zone and should be left alone, it's cheap and takes the hit protecting the expensive junk behind it. I hate those stupid push and twist fastener thingys , PITA.
Fun sled in the snow, not so great on the trail. And I agree, they should now spend a bit of time on bumping up the HP.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, but , sorry cant agree. Don't make them heavier, that's just going backwards. I put 3000 miles on an 11 and 1000 miles on a 13, put Cat long rear bumper on the 11 and a van amburg extension on 13 (174) never had one glue or tunnel issue on either one. the front bumper is IMO a crush zone and should be left alone, it's cheap and takes the hit protecting the expensive junk behind it. I hate those stupid push and twist fastener thingys , PITA.
Fun sled in the snow, not so great on the trail. And I agree, they should now spend a bit of time on bumping up the HP.
I agree on the not making it much heavier. They do need to add just a bit of weight to the tunnel to reinforce it. We are talking maybe 2 lbs of heavier gauge aluminium where the rear drop brackets, and at the front where the drive shaft is mounted. There really shouldn't be any issue with the glue or carbon fibre, it has been used in the auto and aeronautical industry for decades with no problem.
They do need to replace those 1/4 turn fasteners, they looks slick, but what a pain.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well finally got some rides on mine my initial thoughts so far is nice handling sled cant say its any easier to tip up on side than my cm but doesn't have that tendency to pull you down hill like the skidoo chassis always has done, I have the BB in mine soI cant talk power difference as that is unfair, doesn't burn much oil or fuel but is very similar to doo in that part, But fit and finish is where poo lacks BIG TIME! I know why polaris is the lightest on the market they took way to much weight out of critical areas. I figure even a yamaha could be this light if they used this cheap carbon fibre and metals that they are using and holding it together with glue. Im already having to go out and have A-Arms made cause I'm not gonna pay over $200 for that bottom A-Arm let alone additional money for the even worse top one, the carbon fibre uprights have already had afew casualties here leaving guys stranded so those are needing replacement, my rear running board broke where its held together with glue so needed new ones so just went air frames for those, front and rear bumpers break when you "Flick" them so had to replace them, tunnel creased from pulling on rear bumper bumper broke had to lift tunnel and running boards ended up creasing tunnel. I just found for guys who wanna ride them hard you gotta replace a ton of stuff just to feel a bit safer with taking it out to play I feel polaris should say Fawk this weight game lets put some strength back into it and worry about a powerful motor. i like the sled it does ride nice but dear god please don't make it any lighter I just dont feel the overall quality is there thats just my opinion on my new sled

Well over 3000 HARD tree bashing miles on PRO's with no issues (except for the time a guy ran into my sled on the side of the trail). You told me that you were putting on airframes right from new, so I'm not sure how you had a chance to break a stock board. You're having A-arms made??? There are multiple good manufacturers of them already in existence, so why not go that route if you feel its necessary? All my PRO miles are on stock arms with zero issues, but my buddy went through two lower aftermarket arms in two rides. I think you read too much!! :D

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aside from a bad, or out of the normal crash, how would you break the CF uprites?? Sounds like yiur experience may be very similar on any other machine. I will totaly agree though fit and finish is gross, as the panels dont fit great, and those 1/4 turn things are garbage. I cringe everytime I have to add oil...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on the not making it much heavier. They do need to add just a bit of weight to the tunnel to reinforce it. We are talking maybe 2 lbs of heavier gauge aluminium where the rear drop brackets, and at the front where the drive shaft is mounted. There really shouldn't be any issue with the glue or carbon fibre, it has been used in the auto and aeronautical industry for decades with no problem.
They do need to replace those 1/4 turn fasteners, they looks slick, but what a pain.

airplanes fly through the air....not through trees,stumps and rocks.

same with cars. suspension absorbs the brunt the hits not the entire frame.

minnow10

Reaction score
Sometimes you get the feeling that it would not matter what people ride and they would be writing a long lists of complaints on an open forum. It is always the machine/manufactures fault.
I think AC has 1/4 turn clips/ do they not, dont know, dont own one. I also see there is a post about AC chains this year, lots of breaking and warranties, how are those people in any better shape than a poo belt drive.
Did you ever see the simpsons when Homer ws asked to build a car? And it turned out to be a big monstrocity, sometimes I feel that thinking happens more often than not.
Sorry ranting this morning but reading S&M today put me there.
My pro sees the mountains, climbs,jumps,bounces off of trees, puts lots of miles jumping hard ditch drifts. Its not pefrect, but if it fails more often than not it will be my fault. Ya the engine thing, Kit it after 1000 miles, why, thought was put into me, did not need to.
Why are people with Skidoo's listed posting complaints on the post of a person asking 800 pro ride stories?

Back to the subject. My 14-pro works awsome this year. Same as my last 4 RMK's since 2000.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
airplanes fly through the air....not through trees,stumps and rocks.

same with cars. suspension absorbs the brunt the hits not the entire frame.
Take some physics. Force = Mass x Acceleration
The force put on snowmobiles is so much less than you will ever see on a plane (take off/landing, and turbulence) and in vehicles (when a vehicle crashes, it isn't the glue that fails), strictly due to mass alone.
The glue isn't the problem, I know they have had issues with it, but if that is figured out, the glue won't be letting go. Do you know what holds on an engine on commercial jets? It is 2 small metal pins, that are designed to handle force in a certain way. If something goes wrong with the engine, the forces generally change, and the pins are designed to break and the engine drops away. This would not happen with glue, it would hold, no matter what. So the whole, glue is weaker than metal argument is entirely BS. We know Polaris had some issues with bad batches of glue last year, but the science behind it is solid.
Same goes for Carbon Fibre, it is designed to be strong in certain directions based on the weave. It gives to a certain point, then cracks. Aluminium does the same, it will bend a bit, until it creases, then strength is compromised. Maybe they need to tweak the weave to improve strength overall, but again it is not a problem. People who are having complete failures of the carbon, either got a bad batch, or they have crashed into something (they may not want to admit it though).

Top Bottom