Xm fuel line problem

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you can remove the front of the return fuel line and attached a 3' chunk of separate fuel line and run it into the tank. On the machine we fixed as soon as the nipple broke off the engine would not rev up, seem like it needed some back pressure on the return line possibly. This would be a question for a dealer or someone that knows how the fuel system works. If it does work all you would have to carry is some spare fuel line. It shouldn't matter if you have e or pull start the pull handle cup is only attached to the oil tank. This would not stop the fuel tank from moving. We are going to try some double sided foam tape on the bottom of the fuel tank to the tunnel and wedge some rubber between the strut bars that run back over the tank. Try and see if this will secure the tank better.
If the spare fuel line doesn't work the only solution would be is change out the fuel pump assembly.
oh and by the way I am a POO rider trying to help out because unfortunately for me I have some doo doo riders in our group.

Alwayswar

Reaction score
You guys with estart don't put a secondary pull start on??? I bought an XM SP off the showroom floor, that was ordered with the estart but I paid the extra $300 to have a PS installed. I like the idea of having two different methods of starting it, if the estart were to fail (when it's -35 for example) and it has already saved me once. I recommend getting a PS in addition to the estart, especially if it fixes this fuel nipple issue!

If the estart fails, you can always do a clutch start.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you can remove the front of the return fuel line and attached a 3' chunk of separate fuel line and run it into the tank. On the machine we fixed as soon as the nipple broke off the engine would not rev up, seem like it needed some back pressure on the return line possibly. This would be a question for a dealer or someone that knows how the fuel system works. If it does work all you would have to carry is some spare fuel line. It shouldn't matter if you have e or pull start the pull handle cup is only attached to the oil tank. This would not stop the fuel tank from moving. We are going to try some double sided foam tape on the bottom of the fuel tank to the tunnel and wedge some rubber between the strut bars that run back over the tank. Try and see if this will secure the tank better.
If the spare fuel line doesn't work the only solution would be is change out the fuel pump assembly.
oh and by the way I am a POO rider trying to help out because unfortunately for me I have some doo doo riders in our group.

Well I for one, Thanks for the interest in helping us :)

Grain Farmer

Reaction score
image.jpg This is what we had to do, line was a few inches short so took the breather off the chain case and stuffed it in the broke nipple. It fit perfect, able to ride out. Same scenario, little creek monster, no damage, little jarring and bam! Broke nipple.

yammyman

Reaction score
I installed the PS on mine for $180 and haven't had an issue over the last 4 rides. I'm 240 without gear and I put my sled through some pretty decent abuse (including slamming my knees into the panels more often then I'd like). I checked over my fuel pump today and haven't seen any evidence of the fuel tank and oil res moving independent of each other. Seems like a simple fix that gives added security if a battery fails.

BRP, IMO, should have just installed PS on all sleds. Now they should have to pay out on all estarts to install pull starts.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 144950This is what we had to do, line was a few inches short so took the breather off the chain case and stuffed it in the broke nipple. It fit perfect, able to ride out. Same scenario, little creek monster, no damage, little jarring and bam! Broke nipple.

e start or pull start? did anyone confirm if there is a differance??

I have hit 3 creeks pretty hard over the bars twice fuel line still intact mines a pull start

thx for pic

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
e start or pull start? did anyone confirm if there is a differance??

I have hit 3 creeks pretty hard over the bars twice fuel line still intact mines a pull start

thx for pic

also curius if this is happening to estars only

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My buddies sled suffered this problem, handy riding partners used a piece of vent line from fuel return line to tank. Worked but on a tuff longer pull it wouldnt hold rpms, so, they tied a knot in the line , tightened it till back flow was restricted enough and it climbed out. No way the little creek he hit should have caused that. Hopefully it's as simple as installing the ps feature.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got one more case of this. 60km on sled. Way back in ravine, before realized what happened it pumped all his remaining fuel and when he pointed it up to climb died on the hill. Good thing he was riding with a bunch of us on cats so we could razz the hell out him! Also, two mechanics that were savvy enough to do same fix that I see other people here have done. Great minds (not mine lol) were thinking alike!

Took a lot of "empties" worth of siphoned gas from the rest of us for it to climb up. He had to have the gauge show four bars before he could get past the steep part but then he was good the whole way with the return in the top of the tank.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys with estart don't put a secondary pull start on??? I bought an XM SP off the showroom floor, that was ordered with the estart but I paid the extra $300 to have a PS installed. I like the idea of having two different methods of starting it, if the estart were to fail (when it's -35 for example) and it has already saved me once. I recommend getting a PS in addition to the estart, especially if it fixes this fuel nipple issue!

My estart ch!t the bed on day. 2 of a 4 day trip. I've been starting it with a rope on the primary for 2 days. Getting a back up starter when I get home

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a great example of REDNECK INGENUITY, thanks for the posting

View attachment 144950This is what we had to do, line was a few inches short so took the breather off the chain case and stuffed it in the broke nipple. It fit perfect, able to ride out. Same scenario, little creek monster, no damage, little jarring and bam! Broke nipple.

Arctic_Ragtop

Reaction score
I'm in Vale now, one guy in my group with an estart (no PS) put his knee into side panel - broke the nipple off, had to leave sled at superbowl overnight. He's going to take my advice and install the pull start now. Again, I am no BRP engineer but after researching this problem ALOT I put two and two together and put a PS on mine and I've been fine, as have all the others with PS. Get a PS installed if you don't have one already!!!

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or put the sled on your trailer/truck, give the right panel a good solid knee strike to break the stupid nipple, take it to your dealer for warranty and tell them they should install the PS for free because the sled is faulty without it.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was before my time, but as I understand it this XM situation is very similar to the old Pinto situation. Might help to bring that up with your dealer or SkiDoo customer service.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good way to get rid of your XM just burn it about April in time to snow check a 14.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just talked to my buddy with a pull start xm, and he broke the fuel return line in Vale fri, and he did not hit anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just talked to my buddy with a pull start xm, and he broke the fuel return line in Vale fri, and he did not hit anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not good news. Doo better get on this pronto before someone gets hurt!

Arctic_Ragtop

Reaction score
After actually seeing it happen and changing fuel pumps on an XM I can't see how the pull start cup would brace anything. I know I've posted many times saying 'GET A PS', and it hasn't yet happened to mine, but Doo needs to figure something out because this fuel return line is a terrible design. I think the PS helps but there's no way that's the 'fix'

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have not seen this in our shop yet but I have looked at the problem. It looks like if you hit the oil tank hard enough it can tilt back on the LH side and touch the fuel return nipple. I don't believe you will have a problem if you never bang the tank hard but yes Doo should come up with a plan to reinforce the tank support somehow. Hopefully dealers that have seen this problem are sending in RPQ reports so Doo is aware of this.

Top Bottom