Skidoo Turbo Issue with bogging at times Deep Snow

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I kinda had the same issues last year and I think it has to do with clutching. The sled would be over reving a bit and i think would load up somehow (in the cylinder or pipe?) and then i would go down into a turn when the track loads up and Wham! big fire ball backfire or big bog. Now that I installed new clutch kit she runs perfect. I know this sounds strange, but it worked for me. I only had this problem on certain days in certain elevations,,maybe 5 days of the 15 i rode last year.
This is not when going up for a climb on a hill. This comes on then playing in deep snow, you can be going slow or fast and under many throttle positions. You will be going along and suddenly it just falls on its face, and gurgles, bogs, and almost stops, then suddenly goes, then suddenly does this again, by then your our of the situation or stuck again. There is a black line under the snow on the exhaust side. What makes my clutch different than by buddies and many others out there that are stock?
There are so many possible fixes listed above, I can spend the whole year at the dealer/s again and many $$ trying to find this out. No codes being thrown makes it very tough to diagnose, this can be a faulty wiring harness that only acts up once in a while under different structure stresses when riding. I'm getting a go pro with my best buy card I got and will see if I can get it to do this and post it.

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry to see you have that problem Ron. I get guys to record their runs and then get whoever gets to see the videos, they can't deny the facts unfolding in front of their faces. They "techs" have to be there to see it themselves and the only way to do that is to bring the video to them and say "there, now what! !" Best way to put the ball in their court, they cant' stall-for-time now. That is part of the game, dealing with warranty, is "Stalling for time" wear the customer down. The last thing a service person wants to see is a testimonial vidya.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other thing I would suggest is go through every electrical connection and make sure there is no corrosion and put some dielectric grease on them I had an intermetant short on my kill switch and it almost threw me over the bars a few times.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spoke with Jeff, a BRP mechanic from Riderz, last night for a while. This can be the rave valves, sticky cable too them, servo motor, wiring harness issue, or about 500 other things. It’s something that doesnt throw codes. Very tough to diagnose.
If you want to try the cable or servo motor I believe they are the same for the 850 and the 850 t and have a spare if you want to try

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if he was riding last - In the deep heavier kinda wet snow - exhaust side lean on the turn and plug off exhaust too much compared to champagne - just a thought - I do know that turbs don't enjoy being restricted they tend to act up

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I'm wondering if he was riding last - In the deep heavier kinda wet snow - exhaust side lean on the turn and plug off exhaust too much compared to champagne - just a thought - I do know that turbs don't enjoy being restricted they tend to act up
So then just my sled is having this intermittent bogging/no power issue with the deep snow supposedly caused by exhaust side plug off and all the other turbos I'm riding with in the exact same conditions are just getting around with no issues. I wouldn't think this is the problem.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After a few years of trying to get your turbo to run correctly

Attachments

• injectors.jpg
    injectors.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 184

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So then just my sled is having this intermittent bogging/no power issue with the deep snow supposedly caused by exhaust side plug off and all the other turbos I'm riding with in the exact same conditions are just getting around with no issues. I wouldn't think this is the problem.
My bad didn't realize you were riding beside identical sleds - hopefully you get it figured out - and hopefully it happens to more stock turbo sleds so the manufacturers realize that they gotta maybe do a bit more R&D before they fire it out the door - its probably clutching - I personally don't think any sled out of quebec - stock is clutched properly for the Rockies - took me quite a bit of R&D to get my sled to the point where it's at now

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My bad didn't realize you were riding beside identical sleds - hopefully you get it figured out - and hopefully it happens to more stock turbo sleds so the manufacturers realize that they gotta maybe do a bit more R&D before they fire it out the door - its probably clutching - I personally don't think any sled out of quebec - stock is clutched properly for the Rockies - took me quite a bit of R&D to get my sled to the point where it's at now
I’ve redid some clutching already.

Martins has found an issue with fuel pump#2, under load the fuel pump has issues keeping pressure. So there is fuel pump#3 on its way from Quebec. Should arrive on Thursday. Im heading out for day trip on Saturday to see if it works.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Martins has found an issue with fuel pump#2, under load the fuel pump has issues keeping pressure. So there is fuel pump#3 on its way from Quebec. Should arrive on Thursday. Im heading out for day trip on Saturday to see if it works.
Fuel pump went on my xm last season too - I went with a non oem skidoo one - I went with one from quantum fuel systems just to try something different and see if it outlasts the motor

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hate to say it but I have seen 1xm do exactly what your saying above. I have no idea why, it was a anomaly. Only 1 I ever saw like that. Never seen another problem like that again.

Fix was to install a 1-2” deflector right at the exhaust and it was fixed. Get a plastic one so it bends if you roll over a ice chunk or stump or whatever.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BRP has to put a fuel pressure sensor on these and be able to throw a code when it out of range.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is not when going up for a climb on a hill. This comes on then playing in deep snow, you can be going slow or fast and under many throttle positions. You will be going along and suddenly it just falls on its face, and gurgles, bogs, and almost stops, then suddenly goes, then suddenly does this again, by then your our of the situation or stuck again. There is a black line under the snow on the exhaust side. What makes my clutch different than by buddies and many others out there that are stock?
There are so many possible fixes listed above, I can spend the whole year at the dealer/s again and many $$ trying to find this out. No codes being thrown makes it very tough to diagnose, this can be a faulty wiring harness that only acts up once in a while under different structure stresses when riding. I'm getting a go pro with my best buy card I got and will see if I can get it to do this and post it.

Sounds to me like snow ingestion. My cat did this until I sealed the intake

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How did the sled run on Saturday with fuel pump number 2 installed?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interested to hear if it's fixed for good. highest amp draw would be the fuel pump. my 2012 (not a doo) would do this. irritating.
after changing everything on the sled it finally came down to the stator. inconsistent as hell. impossible to replicate.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the 3rd fuel pump. So far so good. Need another trip to confirm. Trevor from Martins called me today to check as well.
BRP has to put a fuel pressure sensor on these and be able to throw a code when it out of range.
Can’t agree with this more. A buddy of mine just picked up a 2018 with shot start just over 4000km for 6500 bucks. Steal of a deal In my opinion

Everything has a catch. Sled ended up that it was turbocharged and put back to stock. Buyer didn’t disclose that information but whatever. Take it for a run in the field hits 7900 rpm for about 2 seconds then fades to 7000 rpm. Put a
Fuel pressure gauge on it. It’s good at idle and about 5 psi after 2 seconds of wide open throttle. Long story short new external and in tank filter and the fuel pressure is rock solid and the sled is now pulling 8100 rpm in that same field with the same clutching.

First trip to the hills with his new purchase this Friday. Pretty sure it’s going to run good. “Wish us luck” haha The previous owner that ran this sled with the turbo on, I feel bad for. I’m assuming he blamed multiple other issue with its runnability. Had to run like a piece of junk. As the story goes not everyone should run mods.

I hope brp gets this sled figured out for you. The hole point of factory boost and buying new is to not have headaches and wrecked days.

Top Bottom