Wholesale Sports is closing their doors

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmf...anytime I was in there, I got zero service.

In fact, one day I was waiting to meet someone....so I had about an hour to kill so I went into Wholesale Sports store. I browsed up and down every single isle stopping to look at items as I meandered around and passed by many employees (most were in pairs talking among themselves).

Not one worker asked if I needed any assistance, not one employee acknowledged my existence......not one.

So now they are blaming Cabala's and other sports related businesses have caused too much competition that wasn't there when they went into the market in 2008.....awe, boo-fawking-hoo......IMO, the LACK of service is what lead to their demise

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well this sucks......... I've always liked them

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wonder if they will give me a deal now, on that $700 fishing reel I was looking at ..........:confused:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Competiton is always good.
Now just Cabelas.

I liked going there cause no one was up your azz, nice and quiet and seemed to have more discounted goodies than Cabelas.
Always great service at the gun counter from Merv on Yellowhead. And his wife Elain worked clothing, in their ealy 70s and always friendly and helpful. Merv made all my fancy tooled leather custom slings. Will miss them.

Usually you had to go get help, that part is true.
But way less staff at both WS stores than at Cabelas also.
Just hate to see businesses close and jobs gone.

Guess I'll be at the door tomorrow at 9.
Just got the OK for a maresleg.

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure how prices will change from now until Dec 28?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Just hate to see businesses close and jobs gone..............

If a business can't cut it and make money there is an underlying cause; management without their ears to the ground or listening to customers. I shopped at WS lots and other than the gun shelf, the staff was deplorable. Sporting goods is a tough market and I did it for 10 years. Price points are very important and margins aren't that great. There is no room for gravy. Staff is very important to bring customers back and enjoy the experience.

MEC is similar with staff. Deplorable to say the least. WS didn't have enough continued support from the community to make a go of it. Throw good money after bad isn't a solution in private enterprise. A sad day for staff for sure but were they the problem?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not for long Big bass has bought out Cabela's
Employee told me that Bass is gonna keep it as Cabela's as they do a great job and Bass knows they do. I ain't arguing that either. Cabela's staff in Calgary are way more knowledgable than Bass's misfits just up Deerfoot IMO.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Russle Sporting Goods and Frenchys/Barroto sports were awesome shops in Calgary. French's/Barroto rebranded themselves to Wholesale Sports when they got into mail order. The "new" UFA management decided to buy both companies out thereby eliminating the competition. That worked for awhile, but the competition vacuum has been filled. Fortunately for UFA no one has filled the farm store vacuum yet. Eg "UFA Only stocks one fertilizer now" WTF, same management as wholesale. I sure miss the days when you could deal with an independent store, but I think those days are gone, many people could careless about a relationships and service they just want low price.

Top Bottom