Any dual sport guys on here?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teeroy how are you getting these bikes street plated? I thought it was built into the VIN as either offroad or onroad, and very difficult to get a dirt bike VIN street plated now.
They can over ride the VIN designation with a click of the mouse, gotta know someone at registries or get a noob agent that doesn't know better and changes it. Once it's in the system as on road, it's in forever. I got the noob agent when I did my 450, it was brand new from the dealer and she couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go through and made it happen. We bought the 250X already plated so I'm not sure how it got in.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can over ride the VIN designation with a click of the mouse, gotta know someone at registries or get a noob agent that doesn't know better and changes it. Once it's in the system as on road, it's in forever. I got the noob agent when I did my 450, it was brand new from the dealer and she couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go through and made it happen. We bought the 250X already plated so I'm not sure how it got in.
I was going to try this too but after talking with a lawyer and an insurance expert, the insurance companies can and probably will decline a claim if there is one no matter what the piece of paper says.

Kyle89

Reaction score
I was going to try this too but after talking with a lawyer and an insurance expert, the insurance companies can and probably will decline a claim if there is one no matter what the piece of paper says.
Once the frame is stamped OHV your pretty much stuck with that designation. Mistake by the registry doesn't make it legal. You probably won't come across any issues unless you were in an accident , which is risk you have to be willing to take

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you crash into another vehicle youre probably dead anyways. Lol
That's why I didn't bother with a street bike license for my first three crotch rockets.....if I seen lights I wasn't stopping, and if something happened a license was probably the least of my worries!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly, but if you survive you're going to be on the hook for everything. Could get real expensive.

Maybe. They have no fault insurance in Alberta. Be something id be willing to risk i think. I guess if you're taking it to work in the city everyday might be something to consider. Out in the sticks be just a piece of paper to show the fish cops...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe. They have no fault insurance in Alberta. Be something id be willing to risk i think. I guess if you're taking it to work in the city everyday might be something to consider. Out in the sticks be just a piece of paper to show the fish cops...
For sure Locations you're travelling too make a big difference on the risk.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some dual-sport bikes that do pretty good in the off road catagory...
Street legal wr-250,,, klx 250 / 300,,, standard crf 250/300 and 450,,, drz 400,,, hopefully the street legal kove 450 when it shows up,,, the heavier units by a few extra lbs would be the xl-650 or dr-650,,, ktm offers a bunch of units...

Our Dual-sport friend Daniel has been logging on the miles on a crf-250 when they first came out,,, it won't be long before he hit the 100 thou mile mark...

Lots and lots of gravel road under his fenders,,, he bought a twin too it that he leaves over seas when he flys home too the old country...

Its seems like the new normal is reliability for the middle and older generation these days... Some times it works,,, some times it doesn't...

I enjoy the simple bikes these days,,, turn key operations have there benifits...
Its more fun riding bikes then working on them in my books...

Some folks like tinkering on bikes,,, nothing wrong with that...

The best investment for bikes that are going off road are tires...

Tire and a good set-up can improve ones experiences when venture-ing off road...

Some years i run knobby tires when im doing a off road years,,, other times I throw on cheap @zz street legal tires for slab,, gravel roads and mellow single track...

This year and next year I'm running the 50/50 tires,,, i might run a few sets of knobby tires after that...

Depends on how I feel...

My old friend said,,, buy a bike and ride it,,, life doesn't get simpler then that...

Ride it a bit or ride it alot,,, its something too do,,, it sure the heck beats sitting at home...

Cheers all

Don

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not concerned, I plated that 450X 17 years ago lol. The only thing that matters to me is that the paperwork is legit when the authorities ask for it, which has only happened twice. For the amount of miles it does on the slab getting to the trails, crashing into someone else isn't high on my list of worries.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6bb5d0ad7f317f0111b49e155b5d2eba.jpg

38e85d1fde903c882c4b5a6ca163fb9b.jpg

Well I guess I am a dual sport guy now!

mxcollector

Reaction score
Yeah , can say am really into Dual Sport since 2007 after retiring from racing dirt bikes ....
I also like riding Sleds , Quads .

In addition jinda collect few old twin shock motocross and few trikes.

Anything to take me away from crowd and into the wild and less traveled path make me happy, closing in my big 6zero in age am now taking trails that won't forced me to dig myself out of deep ch!t but still have a huge taste for speeds .

Here's a picture of my heard of Adventure , dualsport street plated dirt bikes .
P_20190601_154504_1.jpg

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing mx,,, thats one awesome collection indeed,,, I know you have some fantastic areas where you and your friends ride...

Your middle-aged pal aka F. Gordon

I think the 24 hour Nub-Bum is coming up soon...

You've been a very good contributed too that venue for a lot of years with your time and efforts...

Thanks for chime-ing in mx

Don

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great collection.
I'm shopping for either a Husky 501 or a KTM 500exc for this summer. Dual purpose for summer fun and a snowbike kit for winter. After riding a friend's snowbike for a day I'm hooked.
I like my wr250r but it's not enough bike for a track kit or the hiway.
Have a couple Multi day trips planned through the Kootenays this summer

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah , can say am really into Dual Sport since 2007 after retiring from racing dirt bikes ....
I also like riding Sleds , Quads .

In addition jinda collect few old twin shock motocross and few trikes.

Anything to take me away from crowd and into the wild and less traveled path make me happy, closing in my big 6zero in age am now taking trails that won't forced me to dig myself out of deep ch!t but still have a huge taste for speeds .

Here's a picture of my heard of Adventure , dualsport street plated dirt bikes .
View attachment 278137

Your user name checks out lol. That’s a nice collection you got there!
I am beyond excited to get out on this bike come spring! I can’t wait to cruise around in the mountains and backroads checking things out!

mxcollector

Reaction score
Your user name checks out lol. That’s a nice collection you got there!
I am beyond excited to get out on this bike come spring! I can’t wait to cruise around in the mountains and backroads checking things out!
Yeah , wife says that I don't buy bike , i adopt them ....
😂

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will work for you fy,,, Suzuki made a SV 650,,,a few folks threw on some 70% slab, / 30 ish % gravel tires ,,, droped a bit of air pressure in the tire and giver,,, Ive ran 80/20 slab tires on a V-strom doing a few dry twin track trails,,, if the trail turns nasty,,, park the bike then hike in from there if a person wants...

Harley Davidson built millions of dual-sport bikes... lol
76F52161-11F9-4144-9E25-3C7503FE3FBF.jpeg.jpg

Feather the clutch and drag the rear brake,,,
if the trail becomes too much or too wet you can turn around and find another area too check out...

Ride your ride and your is a good plan,,, feel free to throw up a ride report too share with us when the season gets Going,,, it's actually under way right now...

Local day runs
20221120_150005.jpg

^^^ Photo from 2021 if I recall...

the 24 Nub-Bum is getting underway up North this year...

Welcome aboard all ,,, ill throw up a weekend day ride out of our Rocky Mountain House area this year's... All bikes welcome that are capable of handling gravel roads,,, spaced out so no one ride's in the dust... super fun and relaxing ,,, back-pack day lunch and a few stops too point out a few side trails...

A way too point-out a few side trails if folks are intrested in doing their own rides later on...

76.000 kms of gravel roads in Alberta...
Thousands of abandoned forest roads,,, cut-lines and such...

Just a easy comfortable day run of mostly gravel roads with a few sections of slab...

The Dual-sport thing...
20230917_134751.jpg

Cheers all

Don...

Most likely a spring opener if folks are intrested,,, RMH area...

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will work for you fy,,, Suzuki made a SV 650,,,a few folks threw on some 70% slab, / 30 ish % gravel tires ,,, droped a bit of air pressure in the tire and giver,,, Ive ran 80/20 slab tires on a few dry twin tracks for a few kms,,, find a wide spot to park the bike then hike in on some trail with the back pack...

Harley Davidson built millions of dual-sport bikes...
View attachment 278337

Feather the clutch and drag the rear brake,,, if the trail becomes too much or too wet you can turn around and find another area too check out...

Ride your ride and your good too go,,, please feel free to throw up a ride report too share with us when the season gets Going,,, it's actually under way right now...

Local day runs
View attachment 278340
^^^ Photo from 2021 if I recall...

the 24 Nub-Bum is getting underway soon... for the hooligan rad studded up races bike folks...

Welcome aboard all ,,, ill throw up a weekend day ride out of our Rocky Mountain House area this year's... All bikes ride within lot's of gravel roads and spaced out so no one ride's in the dust... lead rider ahead of you waits at the turns... super fun rides ,,, back-pack day lunch and a few stops too point out a few side trails...

A way too show folks with map files if folks are intrested in doing their own adventures later on...

76.000 kms of gravel roads in Alberta...
500.000 ++ kms of wicked rad stuff for the hooligan rad Riders...

The ground We share will be easy for all Rider's that are ok with gravel roads and a few sections of slab...

Dual-sport thing...
View attachment 278339

Cheers all

Don...

Most likely a spring opener if folks are intrested,,, RMH area...

I’d be up for that!

Top Bottom