Any dual sport guys on here?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where I should put this lol. Looking at getting myself a dual sport bike. I’ve been wanting a dirt bike again for awhile but I know I think I could still go to fast and would injure myself on one. My kx 450 tried to kill me every time I drove it. Harleys and street bikes don’t do it for me. They’d be nice but I know I’d be looking at the logging roads wishing I could go up them. So I been looking at the dual sport bikes. Don’t want a big bike so been looking at the Honda crf300 rally. Would be fun to get out and explore some cool back roads and stuff in the summer. Anyone on here do this sort of thing? Any insight on bikes or even some nice day trips or overnight camping trips?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Suzuki DRZ-400sm is the bike I have. It’s nice having something so light. Fuel economy is great, it just lacks 6th gear. I wanted to put some all terrain tires on it since I have to ride on gravel to get to the highway. And those street tires suck. Fuel economy still can’t give you more fuel though, look at a larger tank. I’d rather carry the fuel in the tank than have to carry saddle tanks. By no means am I a good bike rider. But the simplicity, reliability, and insurance on the 400cc in Saskatchewan is only $50 a month comparatively the $350+ a month for the bigger bikes.

What i’d change on my bike, raise the suspension since I’m a little taller then average. Better headlight, driving at night sucks with the stock light. I wish it had 6 gears I really do, it’s revved out pretty good at 110km/h. I’d buy one newer with EFI, no one wants to play around with carbs anymore. All terrain tires, street ones suck on anything but clean pavement. Put on a trail tech voyager pro for mapping, RPM, temp, etc.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suzuki DRZ-400sm is the bike I have. It’s nice having something so light. Fuel economy is great, it just lacks 6th gear. I wanted to put some all terrain tires on it since I have to ride on gravel to get to the highway. And those street tires suck. Fuel economy still can’t give you more fuel though, look at a larger tank. I’d rather carry the fuel in the tank than have to carry saddle tanks. By no means am I a good bike rider. But the simplicity, reliability, and insurance on the 400cc in Saskatchewan is only $50 a month comparatively the $350+ a month for the bigger bikes.

What i’d change on my bike, raise the suspension since I’m a little taller then average. Better headlight, driving at night sucks with the stock light. I wish it had 6 gears I really do, it’s revved out pretty good at 110km/h. I’d buy one newer with EFI, no one wants to play around with carbs anymore. All terrain tires, street ones suck on anything but clean pavement. Put on a trail tech voyager pro for mapping, RPM, temp, etc.

Yah looked at the drz the research I’d been doing they say it really needs a 6th gear for the highway. From what I see all stock tires suck lol. That’s what us appealing to me is the cost of these smaller bikes. The rally is under $9000 and insurance I can’t see being much.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figure out how much pavement you want to do. I have a plated WR450 which suites my needs as I have other bikes if the trip has more pavement. Buddy has a KTM 500 which is a good bike with the coveted 6th gear but it's still not great on the highway. If it's 50-50 consider 690 Enduro or DR650 type bikes.

Kyle89

Reaction score
It's still tricky to find the right bike. When I'm on highway/ gravel I want something bigger, but offroad I want something light. I had ktm 690, I enjoyed it but I wanted something more trail/singletrack minded. Sold that and got an older ktm 525. I still have my 2 stroke for dedicated single-track but I bring my 525 when I'm camping. I can go explore , ride trails, hit road and highway all legally
b36eaee1286d1cb475e5d61fb3e383f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

new indyguy

Reaction score
Not sure where I should put this lol. Looking at getting myself a dual sport bike. I’ve been wanting a dirt bike again for awhile but I know I think I could still go to fast and would injure myself on one. My kx 450 tried to kill me every time I drove it. Harleys and street bikes don’t do it for me. They’d be nice but I know I’d be looking at the logging roads wishing I could go up them. So I been looking at the dual sport bikes. Don’t want a big bike so been looking at the Honda crf300 rally. Would be fun to get out and explore some cool back roads and stuff in the summer. Anyone on here do this sort of thing? Any insight on bikes or even some nice day trips or overnight camping trips?
I bought a used KLR 650 last year and I love it. I live out in the country and drive a fair bit of gravel with it. I have been using it for crop checking, game scouting, short and long hiway trips and more. Its a little bigger than what you have but i find its balanced well for me. Its not great on muddy back roads unless you have better tires. 6th gear would be nice at times on the hiway - Ive done 400-500km day trips with it. Surprisingly great on fuel. Plus you can load that bike up with any type of cargo and it just works. Its not fancy and its simple - easy to work on if needed - plus I find parts and accessories are not that expensive. Ive been in some gnarly places with this bike and it never skips a beat. Its not the best of everything but it does it.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i used to have a crotch rocket buddy had a drz400 it was kinda gutless but man did it look fun he would be on the highway then strsight into the ditch jump a cross road back onto the highway it wouldnt want it for alota highway riding but for ripping around n the options it gave a guy pretty cool n pretty cheap plus the plates were a fraction of my bike

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kinda distance and how remote do you want to go? How much highway?

There will probably be a battery electric option soon to fit that market soon.

We put a tonne of km on our Tallaria Mx4 this season. It’s kinda a pit bike power/size but a full size + moto power street legal version would be a lot of fun.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kinda distance and how remote do you want to go? How much highway?

There will probably be a battery electric option soon to fit that market soon.

We put a tonne of km on our Tallaria Mx4 this season. It’s kinda a pit bike power/size but a full size + moto power street legal version would be a lot of fun.

Not sure the range of the electric. I definitely would like to do longer trips. But to far I’d toss it in the box of the truck because the bike I am seriously considering won’t be the best on the highway. But would like to go to places like kinbasket lake and see how far a guy can go around there and camp a long the way.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not gay,just say you want a snowbike no need to beat around the bush and try to hide your true intentions we accept you for you lol

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had quite a few of them. Really depends what kind of off roading you want to do. Logging roads, single track, gnarlier? And how much highway you want to do. When you gain on one side, you really do give up on the other.

For real off road stuff, the KTM EXC 500 is awesome. The drz 400 is the not as good, budget friendly version. The klr 650 and dr 650 are the best "do all bikes". Fine for longer trips on the road, and pretty capable of road. They get heavy if you're doing tight single track or real gnarly stuff. They were my favorites of all the bikes I had.

Past that you move into the vstroms, and bigger adventure touring bikes. Better for longer trips on the road, but pretty useless for off road

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd Yamaha wr250r, had one years ago then went to a drz400 and that was a mistake. It wasn't any better on the hiway and was worse off road.
The Husky or KTM 500 are probably the best off road dual purpose bike available but not great for long distances and need frequent oil changes.
If you're not looking for a single track bike the 690 or Yamaha Tenere 700 is a much better hiway bike that still can rip the logging roads.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a simple dual-sport dude... vvv 300
20231007_133120.jpg

vvv 250
20210516_203753.jpg

I putttzzzz along on the gravel roads out West,,, farm tours,,, a minimal amount of urban,,, most definitely the safe dry/ damp single track stuff...

If I need too climb any mountains i take my feather-weight dual-sport bikes,,, waaaaay easier thrashing a 40 ish lb unit up there...

I'm too old for injuries...
20230513_144831.jpg

^^^ Human assistance only...
And a work-out...
20230513_131153.jpg

20220713_124455.jpg

Anyways,,, I like the dual-sport bikes for the easy stuff in life,,, slow and simple,,, tires and air pressure makes things happen when the roads are nasty...
20230820_132539.jpg

I like being selective when I'm venture-ing around,,, im not keen too wrecking crap these days,,, 350 ish lbs with all the tack and bling...

Life at 55 mpr on both bikes on slab,,, I let the cag'ers pass when safe...

Lots of secondary's and gravel roads,,, no hurry too be any where at any time

Get there when I get there...

Back pack and thremous of coffee for the day...

2 of everything thing incase of flat tire and ama...

Ahhhh yes,,, the simple life...
20230913_144517.jpg

Most likely wrap up my motorcycle years coming up,,, full return too the pedal bike world...

Red Deer and area,,, Nordegg and surrounding area is good enough...

Alberta and BC interior once in awhile...

Load and go...
20230902_112947.jpg

Real bikers ride too and from,,, im excluded because im a potato head,,, never classed my self as a biker after 40 + years on 2 wheels...

Cheers all

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason I choose lighter mid-weight bikes is if it rains back there in the back country,,, the smaller bikes stand a bit of a chance making it back too the main roads...

Even then,,, the main main roads are not friendly when wet...
20230820_132539.jpg

20230820_141626.jpg

A person doesn't want too be out here in the rolly foot-hills after a rain storm passes threw...

Shes some nasty even getting a 300 ++ lb beast back too the slab...
20230730_103601.jpg

I've owned 4 klrs and 1 V strom ,,, I would never take them on this road if it looked like rain showers...

It would be 50 + lb boots walking out of this area...

Don't get me right or wrong,,, mid and heavyweight bikes work for alot of riders,,, 450 + lb bikes are heavy too pick up,,, ok,,, 500 lbs with bling...

If there tipped over on wet grease roads or trails its alot of work too up right them,,, long past my days

A loss in hwy speed,,, a gain in manover-abilly,,, one gets too pick and choose what their after...

A person will notice the difference between a 450 lb dual-sport compared too a 300 lb unit...

Ruffly 50 ish lbs of tack added too most bikes,,, a few spare parts,,, tools,,, and water,,, always bring lots of water... lol

Its a long walk out if things go south,,, kinda wize too have 2 or 3 back-up plans just incase...

Been there done that...

20 + miles in the mountains is a loooooong day on foot... Ha

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yes,,, B.C. interior is the land of lost-ness...

Dual-sport bike meca of the world...

Kelowna and Okanogan Falls too...

A person would have too live 4 or 7 life times too ride each road ,,, Crowfoot Mt is one wicked play ground,,, Kamloops,,, Merritt,,, ect...

Harrison Hot Springs...

Each pocket would be be Classed as surrounding area (s)...

Touring the logging roads is easy and safe,,, lots of neet trails along the Canada/ USA board line...

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason I choose lighter mid-weight bikes is if it rains back there in the back country,,, the smaller bikes stand a bit of a chance making it back too the main roads...

Even then,,, the main main roads are not friendly when wet...
View attachment 275755

View attachment 275756

A person doesn't want too be out here in the rolly foot-hills after a rain storm passes threw...

Shes some nasty even getting a 300 ++ lb beast back too the slab...
View attachment 275757

I've owned 4 klrs and 1 V strom ,,, I would never take them on this road if it looked like rain showers...

It would be 50 + lb boots walking out of this area...

Don't get me right or wrong,,, mid and heavyweight bikes work for alot of riders,,, 450 + lb bikes are heavy too pick up,,, ok,,, 500 lbs with bling...

If there tipped over on wet grease roads or trails its alot of work too up right them,,, long past my days

A loss in hwy speed,,, a gain in manover-abilly,,, one gets too pick and choose what their after...

A person will notice the difference between a 450 lb dual-sport compared too a 300 lb unit...

Ruffly 50 ish lbs of tack added too most bikes,,, a few spare parts,,, tools,,, and water,,, always bring lots of water... lol

Its a long walk out if things go south,,, kinda wize too have 2 or 3 back-up plans just incase...

Been there done that...

20 + miles in the mountains is a loooooong day on foot... Ha

I like that rally it’s the bike I am really leaning to. Just because of its off road capabilities. And guys say it’s not bad on highways. The 450 Honda and 500 ktm is second on the list. But they’re a few more grand and don’t think nearly as reliable as that 300.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yes,,, B.C. interior is the land of lost-ness...

Dual-sport bike meca of the world...

Kelowna and Okanogan Falls too...

A person would have too live 4 or 7 life times too ride each road ,,, Crowfoot Mt is one wicked play ground,,, Kamloops,,, Merritt,,, ect...

Harrison Hot Springs...

Each pocket would be be Classed as surrounding area (s)...

Touring the logging roads is easy and safe,,, lots of neet trails along the Canada/ USA board line...

Did lots of dirt biking around Kucanusa years ago. Was great country

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think of the 300 rally as a lite-weigth klr,,, 1/2 the hp,,, 150 ish lbs lighter... kinda like a miniature version adventure bike...
Im 5' 10",,, 200 ish lbs,,, the 300 can move me along at 55 too 60 mpr on normal days...
20231007_133120.jpg

Head winds and steep hills slow it down,,, most folks don't buy them for high speed free-ways...
I bump into the 62 mpr bracket at times,,, definitely power up too get a run at hills...

Mines still stock,,, factory suspension is mediocre/ soft,,, plush ride for us slower folks...

I'd have too spend some cash on the crf if I wanted too chase down my 250 klx...
20230810_182754.jpg

They are the off road units when dialed in...
Knobby off road tires,,, bead locks,,, gear set change and a fist full of throttle... lol

Klx range with small tank is 140 kms 7/ L
Crf rally is 360 too 400 kms... 12.8/ L

Both are fun and simple bikes,,, fuel,,, oil changes,,, tires and front sprokets...

Buy them,,, ride them for what they are,,, I'll run my rally stock for 7 years with factory unlimited mileage warranty...
A few fellows on our adv site are closing in on the 100 thou mile mark...
There's no reason they won't last for 20 or 40 years if a person taps it kool...

Run them in their comfort zone...

I won't spank mine until i log on 10 or 16.000 mile miles ,,, no need too,,, if a person wants faster and Hooligan rad they can buy a ktm 350 or 500 ...

There smasher bikes for off road,,, the average joe doesn't really need a off road rocket bike unless they are good riders,,, average joe is normally a average joe...

I liked my mid/ heavier weight dual-sport bikes,,, they offer better slab,,, some gravel roads and safer off road grit,,, mind you ive seen some heavy weigth beasts Chewing up the trails with skilled riders... lol

Our friend Shamus is one of those big adventure bike off road dudes,,, simply amazing watching him perform off road on steep climbs,,, there a handful,,, mind on task with 100 ++ hp under the saddle...

Mid and heavy weigth adventure bikes offer a plush ride on the Whoop-te-doo trails,,, heavy bikes stay well planted on the kobble-stone trails...

Suspension,,, tires,,, air pressure make a huge difference,,, if not,,, idle it back a bit...

Dual-sport / adventure biking isn't a race for most folks,,, its mostly about riding with in ones limits and what a particular bike offers...

The majority of us drive our cars and trucks this way...

The key element too all my outtings is vvv
20230702_102141-1.jpg

Back-pack,,, a well organized back-pack makes the day and rewards us if things go South,,, the majority of crap ends up in the saddle bags...
20230902_173145.jpg

Any thing too do with the bike its self gets attached too the bike,,, everything is hidden away some where on the beast...

A few more smaller items too attach...

Keep it simple,,, enjoy the ride,,, relax the days away putttzzzz-ing along on the trails...

Im a 2nd and 3rd/ throttle lock dude,,, 7 or 14 mpr pace,,, some times a bit faster...
The throttle lock allows the bike too pop along down the roads and trails at a super smooth speed...

10 ish + years of throttle lock putttzzzz-ing around,,, no accidental throttling...

Alberta has the gravel version Dragon's Tail..
20230729_130907.jpg

20230917_171443.jpg

60 kms one-way fast track or slow at ones choosing...

Next too nill for humans back there...

Old and Slow is my norm,,, I can do this same route on my crank bikes too...

Biking,,, fishing,,, camping and sight-seeing...
20230904_090242.jpg

A simple life is a easy life...

Don

Top Bottom