Any dual sport guys on here?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think of the 300 rally as a lite-weigth klr,,, 1/2 the hp,,, 150 ish lbs lighter... kinda like a miniature version adventure bike...
Im 5' 10",,, 200 ish lbs,,, the 300 can move me along at 55 too 60 mpr on normal days...
View attachment 275772
Head winds and steep hills slow it down,,, most folks don't buy them for high speed free-ways...
I bump into the 62 mpr bracket at times,,, definitely power up too get a run at hills...

Mines still stock,,, factory suspension is mediocre/ soft,,, plush ride for us slower folks...

I'd have too spend some cash on the crf if I wanted too chase down my 250 klx...
View attachment 275773
They are the off road units when dialed in...
Knobby off road tires,,, bead locks,,, gear set change and a fist full of throttle... lol

Klx range with small tank is 140 kms 7/ L
Crf rally is 360 too 400 kms... 12.8/ L

Both are fun and simple bikes,,, fuel,,, oil changes,,, tires and front sprokets...

Buy them,,, ride them for what they are,,, I'll run my rally stock for 7 years with factory unlimited mileage warranty...
A few fellows on our adv site are closing in on the 100 thou mile mark...
There's no reason they won't last for 20 or 40 years if a person taps it kool...

Run them in their comfort zone...

I won't spank mine until i log on 10 or 16.000 mile miles ,,, no need too,,, if a person wants faster and Hooligan rad they can buy a ktm 350 or 500 ...

There smasher bikes for off road,,, the average joe doesn't really need a off road rocket bike unless they are good riders,,, average joe is normally a average joe...

I liked my mid/ heavier weight dual-sport bikes,,, they offer better slab,,, some gravel roads and safer off road grit,,, mind you ive seen some heavy weigth beasts Chewing up the trails with skilled riders... lol

Our friend Shamus is one of those big adventure bike off road dudes,,, simply amazing watching him perform off road on steep climbs,,, there a handful,,, mind on task with 100 ++ hp under the saddle...

Mid and heavy weigth adventure bikes offer a plush ride on the Whoop-te-doo trails,,, heavy bikes stay well planted on the kobble-stone trails...

Suspension,,, tires,,, air pressure make a huge difference,,, if not,,, idle it back a bit...

Dual-sport / adventure biking isn't a race for most folks,,, its mostly about riding with in ones limits and what a particular bike offers...

The majority of us drive our cars and trucks this way...

The key element too all my outtings is vvv
View attachment 275774

Back-pack,,, a well organized back-pack makes the day and rewards us if things go South,,, the majority of crap ends up in the saddle bags...
View attachment 275775

Any thing too do with the bike its self gets attached too the bike,,, everything is hidden away some where on the beast...

A few more smaller items too attach...

Keep it simple,,, enjoy the ride,,, relax the days away putttzzzz-ing along on the trails...

Im a 2nd and 3rd/ throttle lock dude,,, 7 or 14 mpr pace,,, some times a bit faster...
The throttle lock allows the bike too pop along down the roads and trails at a super smooth speed...

10 ish + years of throttle lock putttzzzz-ing around,,, no accidental throttling...

Alberta has the gravel version Dragon's Tail..
View attachment 275776

View attachment 275777

60 kms one-way fast track or slow at ones choosing...

Next too nill for humans back there...

Old and Slow is my norm,,, I can do this same route on my crank bikes too...

Biking,,, fishing,,, camping and sight-seeing...
View attachment 275778

A simple life is a easy life...

Don

Not out to race anyone. Like you take it easy check out some cool back roads. See a nice trail shoot off and explore it. Not an easy bike to find though!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most definitely the easy stuff
20231118_120326.jpg

Beuty day for a November 18 in Central Albetra...

Farm tour run,,, putttzzzz along taking it in...

Cheers all

Don

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Windscreen is gonna be my next upgrade for my wr, had one on the drz and it definitely made a difference.

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bigger 650 enduros are fun till you hit a greasy quad rutt….then you eat sh!t and it really gets hard to pick up after a couple of times,if I where hitting the hiways,FSR in BC and Berta it would be on a bigger one.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad has a new royal enfield himalayan.

Around 400ish cc's. Probably not what youre looking for. But its a cool bike. Was only about 8g brand new.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad has a new royal enfield himalayan.

Around 400ish cc's. Probably not what youre looking for. But its a cool bike. Was only about 8g brand new.

Those are pretty sweet but maybe re highway oriented. Rally is pretty dirt bike like with higher gear. And I got a good buddy that works at a dealer

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are pretty sweet but maybe re highway oriented. Rally is pretty dirt bike like with higher gear. And I got a good buddy that works at a dealer

Ya I don't think it would be the best single track bike. But great for logging roads or gravel.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I don't think it would be the best single track bike. But great for logging roads or gravel.

Best mix of both. The 450 Honda street legal would be nice. But the 450 is the mx bike that’s got the bare minimum done to it to make it street legal. I don’t think they will be as reliable as the 300. And they’re way more twitchy. I am getting old I want to relax more lol. Want to go from valemount to golden around kinbasket lake. Take a a few day to do that cruise the logging roads. Just trying to figure out how to pack enough beer?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best mix of both. The 450 Honda street legal would be nice. But the 450 is the mx bike that’s got the bare minimum done to it to make it street legal. I don’t think they will be as reliable as the 300. And they’re way more twitchy. I am getting old I want to relax more lol. Want to go from valemount to golden around kinbasket lake. Take a a few day to do that cruise the logging roads. Just trying to figure out how to pack enough beer?

I think the Himalayan like my dad has would be perfect for chit like that. they aren't as heavy as they look.

But I'm sure that 300 will work fine too.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Himalayan like my dad has would be perfect for chit like that. they aren't as heavy as they look.

But I'm sure that 300 will work fine too.

Yah they’re air cooled. They work good for that but not as good for trails.

dizzle

Reaction score
I got the ktm 500 exc-f pretty much street legal dirt bike. Not great for long highway rides, but its all a trade off. Got close to 15000 kms with only oil changes and small maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on you Neil,,, the simple rally will fit your needs,,, plush ride,,, good on fuel,,, add what you need and enjoy the ride...

Fuel,,, oil changes,,, tires and the odd front sproket when you wear them out,,,
20230729_121019.jpg

Putttzzzz along and take in the veiws,,, I threw on a cheap $20 throttle lock so I can get the engine into a sweet rpm in the lower gears and pop along at a fairly stable/ constant speed too look around...

Once i got it set I grab onto the mirror arm so I don't bump the throttle,,, I reach down and tweak the throttle once in awhile too keep the rpms close too the sweet spot...

A bit more throttle up hill,,, crank it back a bit going down hill,,, lots of smooth 2nd,,, 3rd and 4th...

A sight-seeing bike too take me fishing or too trail heads that i want too hike...

My off off road days are long gone,,, I'll do the odd safe dry/ damp single track stuff,,, other then that its my boots on the ground...

My bike and I don't need too prove nothing,,, my middle age body doesn't need the workout... lol

Dual-sport and dirt bike workouts are for the younger folks... Ha

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on you Neil,,, the simple rally will fit your needs,,, plush ride,,, good on fuel,,, add what you need and enjoy the ride...

Fuel,,, oil changes,,, tires and the odd front sproket when you wear them out,,,
View attachment 276126

Putttzzzz along and take in the veiws,,, I threw on a cheap $20 throttle lock so I can get the engine into a sweet rpm in the lower gears and pop along at a fairly stable/ constant speed too look around...

Once i got it set I grab onto the mirror arm so I don't bump the throttle,,, I reach down and tweak the throttle once in awhile too keep the rpms close too the sweet spot...

A bit more throttle up hill,,, crank it back a bit going down hill,,, lots of smooth 2nd,,, 3rd and 4th...

A sight-seeing bike too take me fishing or too trail heads that i want too hike...

My off off road days are long gone,,, I'll do the odd safe dry/ damp single track stuff,,, other then that its my boots on the ground...

My bike and I don't need too prove nothing,,, my middle age body doesn't need the workout... lol

Dual-sport and dirt bike workouts are for the younger folks... Ha

Yup not looking to go racing that’s why I didn’t get a 500 or something like that. Big adventure bikes would be nice but don’t want to ride a heavy bike off road. The rally seemed to be the best of both worlds and best for trails. I want to make it so I can pack my fishing rod with me and check out some back country. Would really like to try vale to golden around kinbasket lake. Bet that would be nice country

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive done the kimbasket lk Chatter creek lodge stuff,,, I liked it alot,,, my friend did the Valmont trails too the top of the hills looking down on the lake on his ride...

Harrison Hot springs West side lake is a sweet ride...

Pretty much every road in BC and the Eastern Slopes of our Rocky Mountain Range is wow...

Greg River S/E of Hinton Alberta on hwy 40 at km 20 offers just enough entertainment for our Dual-sport bikes,,, the ohv trails are actually bike friendly...

So many places too see and not enough time too do it all... lol

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive done the kimbasket lk Chatter creek lodge stuff,,, I liked it alot,,, my friend did the Valmont trails too the top of the hills looking down on the lake on his ride...

Harrison Hot springs West side lake is a sweet ride...

Pretty much every road in BC and the Eastern Slopes of our Rocky Mountain Range is wow...

Greg River S/E of Hinton Alberta on hwy 40 at km 20 offers just enough entertainment for our Dual-sport bikes,,, the ohv trails are actually bike friendly...

So many places too see and not enough time too do it all... lol

I am starting to look at and think about trips. And think I hope I have enough time to go boating this summer lol

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup not looking to go racing that’s why I didn’t get a 500 or something like that. Big adventure bikes would be nice but don’t want to ride a heavy bike off road. The rally seemed to be the best of both worlds and best for trails. I want to make it so I can pack my fishing rod with me and check out some back country. Would really like to try vale to golden around kinbasket lake. Bet that would be nice country

Now ya need a bike rack for your boat

Top Bottom