Any dual sport guys on here?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 1987 Honda XL 600 back in the early 90s and it was a great bike. In the mid to late 90s Honda came out with the XR 650 L, and I was privileged to ice race that bike for four years with a new bike every year with Honda. A couple of my friends bought them because of the durability and if I was to go back to a dual sport, I would seriously be looking at either the KLR 650 for a price or the Honda 650 for reliability. Two years ago I had a Suzuki V Strom, 1000 and that is just a little too much bike to take off road .

With the wide range of gearing, changing a tooth or two out of the front sprocket and about 10 out of the back, you can get pretty amazing highway speeds on a dual sport! But keep in mind it is still a swing arm chassis and you never wanna get into a high-speed wobble with one.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 1987 Honda XL 600 back in the early 90s and it was a great bike. In the mid to late 90s Honda came out with the XR 650 L, and I was privileged to ice race that bike for four years with a new bike every year with Honda. A couple of my friends bought them because of the durability and if I was to go back to a dual sport, I would seriously be looking at either the KLR 650 for a price or the Honda 650 for reliability. Two years ago I had a Suzuki V Strom, 1000 and that is just a little too much bike to take off road .

With the wide range of gearing, changing a tooth or two out of the front sprocket and about 10 out of the back, you can get pretty amazing highway speeds on a dual sport! But keep in mind it is still a swing arm chassis and you never wanna get into a high-speed wobble with one.

Yah from what I see the 300 cruises nicely at 65-70 mph. That’s probably fast enough for that bike lol. The 650’s I think they still make that 650!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yah from what I see the 300 cruises nicely at 65-70 mph. That’s probably fast enough for that bike lol. The 650’s I think they still make that 650!
I would like to try the 300L. I did want a 450L but the reliability isnt there

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dunno, 24hp in a 330lb bike isn’t my idea of fun. Add some luggage and I think it will be like a lawn tractor. Hope you aren’t left wanting for more..

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dunno, 24hp in a 330lb bike isn’t my idea of fun. Add some luggage and I think it will be like a lawn tractor. Hope you aren’t left wanting for more..

I didn’t think that either but we will see. Like I said I am not out to win races or even run them. Just want to get out explore stuff find some cool backcountry. With how hard these bikes are to find more guys then not must find them fun. I got my jet boat for power.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My rally ain't no silver bullet...
20230917_171443.jpg

Just enough too get by,,, 60 ish + mpr ,,, if not,,, 55...

Pull over """or""" slow down too let the crowd go,,, carry on too the next safe passing zone

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My rally ain't no silver bullet...
View attachment 276163

Just enough too get by,,, 60 ish + mpr ,,, if not,,, 55...

Pull over """or""" slow down too let the crowd go,,, carry on too the next safe passing zone

Yup not wanting a fast bike. I want to cruise up the road behind you! Going to do the race horse pass to looks pretty neat. Probably spend lots of time around Nordegg area to.
Bikes and boats!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have ridden the 250 L and the 230 L and they’re both really good bikes perfect for exploring, but lacking on the highway if you want to pass someone. Not a huge fan of the Suzuki DR bikes…

Doesn’t CF Moto make a dual purpose?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ridden the 250 L and the 230 L and they’re both really good bikes perfect for exploring, but lacking on the highway if you want to pass someone. Not a huge fan of the Suzuki DR bikes…

Doesn’t CF Moto make a dual purpose?

That’s the biggest complaint I read about with the 250 is not enough on the highway. 300 is way better supposedly. CF does make one it’s a 800 and got a bunch of good reviews. Another I looked at is the Kove 450 is pretty nice.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wr250r does fine up to 100- 110km/hr but it's not much fun on the hiway.
On the back roads it's a alot of fun, You won't regret your purchase.
I'd like to put a trail Tek gps on it instead of my rhino. The bigger screen would be easier to see.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wr250r does fine up to 100- 110km/hr but it's not much fun on the hiway.
On the back roads it's a alot of fun, You won't regret your purchase.
I'd like to put a trail Tek gps on it instead of my rhino. The bigger screen would be easier to see.

Thanks for that advice on the gps. I wanted to get one for up behind the windscreen.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the 250?

No,,, it's the 300 rally,,, it offer a bit more power then the 250"s ,,, but not alot of gains...

Im running mine stock for now,,, most likely leave it alone since its just a small bike...

It wouldn't be a drz 400 or crf 450 no matter how much money I spends on power up-grades...

88 and 92 kpr/ 55 ish mpr seems too be the sweet spot for the engine,,, not say'ing it won't run all day at 62 or 65 mpr...

Im sure it could manage 68 and 70 mpr for a few longer minutes ,,, but 7000 rpms and the head winds take the fun out of it...

I don't mind taking runs at the hills when im doing hwy stuff ...
20230913_144600.jpg

20230913_145451.jpg

It would be hard pressed too keep pace with my former 720 big bore or my 650 strom on the open road...

I ran my 720 across the America's for a year,,, just a shy under the 100.000 mile mark before I got home...

I feel that what my crf 300 rally lacks for all out performance on the """open""" hwy it makes up for those losses on secondary slab and gravel roads...

Im planning a trip too Southern Ontario on my little crf,,, take my time and enjoy the ride,,, it might see the 60 ish mpr once in awhile but the majority of the run will be slower than that...

If a person requires more speed then perhaps a 650 or 7/ 800 cc something might be a wizer choice... don't know since im long past those days...

I bought the rally since it is good at nothing but is capable of do-ing a little bit of everything...

There not the best at be'ing dirt bikes nor the best at hwy,,, kind of a mix of 50/50 I'm thinking...

This is only what I think of the little 300 rally,,, other folks have different perspectives...

It really boils down too what a person is after with there needs and wants...

I'm quite comfortable running a smaller bike on my adventures,,, its actually a comfortable pleasant ride I find when I slow things down...

Way less wind buffer-ing,,, a lot less efforts relaxing the day away... Definitely a chance too look around more...

Life in the slow lane for those of us that just enjoy be'ing out there...

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I liked my 720 big bore
mms_img741652182_1310281376644445.jpg

I just couldn't get it into my 365/ 375 lb off road weight catagory...

Shes was all hands on deck in the off road stuff...

Not the power,,, more too do with weight and handling even though it had all the suspension up grades...

It was like a fly-ing pig off road...

Very dangerous indeed... lol

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My current dual sport is a street plated CRF 450X. Buzzy on the highway, but it will do 80 mph all day long on the slab if your azz can handle it. Mine can't. As to the longevity of the 450, I put 5 seasons on it and a little over 12,000 km before I tore it down and replaced the top end. The 450L is waaaay detuned compared to the X and will have even better durability. My previous DS was an '02 XR650L, decent on the highway, decent off road, an OK compromise and about the best balance of on/off road if you can handle the weight. Certainly can't argue the longevity of any airhead Honda product. My dealer raves about the CRF 300L, he's got more than a few bikes and loves the 300.

My '06 450X, and my son's '06 250X, both street plated. Fun bikes, definitely more off road oriented.

20221016_171600.jpg

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teeroy how are you getting these bikes street plated? I thought it was built into the VIN as either offroad or onroad, and very difficult to get a dirt bike VIN street plated now.

Top Bottom