Door seal replacement

prairieguy

Reaction score
What is the best replacement door seals out there? Some guys are saying garage door rubber next guy says foam but the foam that was on the trailer when I bought it hasn’t lasted very well. Would love to find out what trails west uses on their new trailer but can’t find any info.

d5719900112877116fac1e15691faad6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I would scrape some of the rust off the surfaces and then paint some "Rust Converter" around the door and trailer mating surfaces(you have lots of rust building up). Use the foam strips like you have and then carry a can of silicone spray, and spray the foam seals quite often(especially after washing or heavy use)... they will never freeze or stick, with the silicone spray on them. Will last for years ;)

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say that amount of rust should have a light blasting to cleanse the surface…
Soda blasting works great…

Trailers used in these types of conditions are difficult to keep clean.

prairieguy

Reaction score
I stripped all the rust off front door and painted the bare metal but used up all the foam I had and just wondering if I should buy normal foam again or something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hollow half round foam stuff seems to work best. Get the surface as clean as possible, and use a bit of heat to really set the adhesive. Don't overdo the heat though. I used the same stuff I use on the tailgate of my truck, and it holds up pretty well.

As mentioned above, some silicone lube applied often prevents the seal from freezing and pulling off. Canadian Tire sells it for $9 a can.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some of the caliber edge glides coming in as well. I'm going to give them a try. I figure it should keep the snow and ice out when loading or sweeping out the trailer.

View attachment 279838

I assume those fold up when the door is folded correct? If so i would like to purchase some of those for my trailer, like that design looks pretty slick. Any link for these available or just google them?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume those fold up when the door is folded correct? If so i would like to purchase some of those for my trailer, like that design looks pretty slick. Any link for these available or just google them?
Yes, they are hinged. Caliber edge glides is what they're called. They make a similar product to superglides as well. Amazon has them, as do many other shops. I ordered them through my buddies marine and offroad shop. I also got a set for the end of the ramp to help the skis get up and over easier - particularly when backing sleds up like I do.
1000009595.jpg

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are hinged. Caliber edge glides is what they're called. They make a similar product to superglides as well. Amazon has them, as do many other shops. I ordered them through my buddies marine and offroad shop. I also got a set for the end of the ramp to help the skis get up and over easier - particularly when backing sleds up like I do.View attachment 279841
Very nice, i have now researched these and they look very good. Think i will order the door sections and the edge glides as well. I do have a ground transition piece but like the glide transition style, might not need the door glides going in but wth might as well get them as well can't hurt. Just gotta figure out how many sections i need for the ramp door now.

Top Bottom