What are your thoughts on the Poo belt drive good or bad?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be a reverse system on the cats.... Doo's system is soooo much easier with the reverse engine, reverse..... only one chain

Mechanical reverse..... but were talking 2 strokes in a Poo belt drive thread

huh? Cat 2 strokes have RER just like Doo's, push button and engine runs in reverse. Just as simple as Doo's - 2 gears and one chain. Have been like this since 09. Only "mechanical" reverses left around are on the 4 strokers (See koby pics above). Most of the new 4 stroke systems are electronic over mechanical - its still "push button reverse" as advertized (button on the bars), but a solenoid engages the gear to actuate reverse (versus pulling a lever).

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm not sure if doo's patent ran out yet.. Maybe this season... As far as I know it is a solenoid actuated gear system.

then again I don't know of anyone who rides a new cat.

Edit: 2012 model year was the first with Engine reverse technology

huh? Cat 2 strokes have RER just like Doo's, push button and engine runs in reverse. Just as simple as Doo's - 2 gears and one chain. Have been like this since 09. Only "mechanical" reverses left around are on the 4 strokers (See koby pics above). Most of the new 4 stroke systems are electronic over mechanical - its still "push button reverse" as advertized (button on the bars), but a solenoid engages the gear to actuate reverse (versus pulling a lever).

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm not sure if doo's patent ran out yet.. Maybe this season... As far as I know it is a solenoid actuated gear system.

then again I don't know of anyone who rides a new cat.

Edit: 2012 model year was the first with Engine reverse technology

Cat has been ACER since 09. There were no solenoids in the DD.

"The 2009 mountain Cats dropped an immediate 10 pounds by converting from mechanical reverse with its attendant gears and housing to an electronic Rotax-type electronic reverse, which Cat calls ACER (Arctic Cat Engine Reverse). The changes eliminate 49 parts (and their weight). Better news is that ACER retrofits select 2007 and 2008 models (check with your Cat dealer). ACER did require a new oil pump to provide lubrication when the engine spins backward. There is also a modification in the driven clutch cam to prevent the sheaves from opening during reverse operation. Like Ski-Doo and Polaris systems, the Cat’s electronic reverse activates via push button"

.2009 Arctic Cat preview

craigbrewer

Reaction score
This belt systrem is a piece of garbage, i know of several people losing a belt who have stock sleds, I personally have went thru two with my 800 turbo, my friend with his 800 turbo has also went thru 2 belts. We both have switched to a cp3 system, however yesterday on a steep climb I snapped that belt in half, immediately lost all forward momentum, no brakes when they go, i prayed for a ski to dig in, by the time it did i had to much reverse momentum, the sled flipped and i was tossed and now was trying to get away from a sled coming at me, thank god it dug in somehow, if not, it would have probably rolled 100 + times after trouncing me,I just keep thinking of that sled taking me out, possibly busting me up breaking my ribs, puncturing a lung and bleeding out on the hill.
This is a serious design flaw, I suppose someone will have to die before Polaris will acknowledge the problem. Rest assured, if u have one, it's just a matter of time, the best part is no brakes, hopefully it does'nt get u killed.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm. Good find. Thanks

Cat has been ACER since 09. There were no solenoids in the DD.

"The 2009 mountain Cats dropped an immediate 10 pounds by converting from mechanical reverse with its attendant gears and housing to an electronic Rotax-type electronic reverse, which Cat calls ACER (Arctic Cat Engine Reverse). The changes eliminate 49 parts (and their weight). Better news is that ACER retrofits select 2007 and 2008 models (check with your Cat dealer). ACER did require a new oil pump to provide lubrication when the engine spins backward. There is also a modification in the driven clutch cam to prevent the sheaves from opening during reverse operation. Like Ski-Doo and Polaris systems, the Cat’s electronic reverse activates via push button"

.2009 Arctic Cat preview

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This belt systrem is a piece of garbage, i know of several people losing a belt who have stock sleds, I personally have went thru two with my 800 turbo, my friend with his 800 turbo has also went thru 2 belts. We both have switched to a cp3 system, however yesterday on a steep climb I snapped that belt in half, immediately lost all forward momentum, no brakes when they go, i prayed for a ski to dig in, by the time it did i had to much reverse momentum, the sled flipped and i was tossed and now was trying to get away from a sled coming at me, thank god it dug in somehow, if not, it would have probably rolled 100 + times after trouncing me,I just keep thinking of that sled taking me out, possibly busting me up breaking my ribs, puncturing a lung and bleeding out on the hill.
This is a serious design flaw, I suppose someone will have to die before Polaris will acknowledge the problem. Rest assured, if u have one, it's just a matter of time, the best part is no brakes, hopefully it does'nt get u killed.
Id get rid of the belt drive and throw a chaincase in there before you get killed.

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

U should find a new sport, this one is for men.

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Says the big man with a picture of his sled in a flat field whom has probably never climbed a hill.

To bad I don't ride in August, when all you American high markers start riding.
Otherwise we could ride together and climb some real hills with powder snow on them.
Let me know if you ever get out in the winter... Not late spring/summer riding on ch!t snow conditions.

Ok thanks

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of all these people that are blowing the belt how many are breaking them in? This is not a smart ass question just wondering.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I broke my first belt in for 6 miles and it lasted 1000 even with a loose jackshaft bearing which in turn made the qd belt loose. Broke my 2nd one in for 30 miles and it lasted 400. I don't think break in matters that much and for what its worth I've had warranty on all blown qd belts.

Korey

Reaction score
Why does everyone and there dog find it a huge engineering fault that if the pros belt drive happens to snap you have no breaks? You know just like sleds with a chain was for how many years? Nobody seemed to think it was bad then... just because you're specific brand of choice didn't come out with a stock belt drive system first is no need for the hatred towards poo and there oversight on the brake location that being said it would be nice to see them change it would be safer ooh and ps I don't want to hear the " the chain would bind up stopping the sled" argument...I've heard it and it's not a good one, sure that would likely happen but doesn't make it any better just luckier... now that vent is out only a few more hours until we find out what the doo crew get to try and pick apart for next year haha no offense doo crew

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe Polaris will come out with a big rock tied on the hood. That way when your climbing and the belt breaks you can through the rock off and use it as a break. They are 30# lighter then the other sleds so you shouldn't even notice the extra weight. Lol

Top Bottom