What are your thoughts on the Poo belt drive good or bad?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save your effort.

The issue has nothing to do with the belt drive itself, its been proven in higher HP applications for longer. Like most things, its the operator and maintenance. The belt will stretch like a chain does, and needs adjustment, like a chain does. Adjust properly and no issues apparently. let your chain stretch and bounce around and it will eventually blow your chaincase apart too. Peeps just gotta hate because they lost the weight war.

There have probably been as many failures of the Doo flex skid as there have been of the Poo drive belt, but the flex skid is great, no more fine tuning required there....:D

If Doo had come out with the belt drive first it would have been God's gift to the snowmobile world even if every 2nd one had failed, Maxwell calls that "innovation". LOL

I didnt think there was any way of adjusting the belt tension on the polaris belt drive? That would be one of the refinements the polaris belt drive needs. That and splined shafts that you could actually take the gears off(in stead of glued on garbage) and change the gear ratios if desired.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didnt think there was any way of adjusting the belt tension on the polaris belt drive? That would be one of the refinements the polaris belt drive needs. That and splined shafts that you could actually take the gears off(in stead of glued on garbage) and change the gear ratios if desired.

DOOOOOD! Totally man - Polaris should take a cue from this system with its hella cool splined shafts. Any idea where we can get one of these??? :) 2013-Polaris-Quick-Drive-low-inertia-drive.jpg

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you adjust belt tension on that setup? by tighting the F#ck out of your track? lol

No tensioner included or required for this setup. They got some hitech redneck to come up with a belt reinforced with Robertson Beard Hair (tm) so it doesn't stretch.

Hope this post was likeable, loveable, recommendable, and thankable. :D

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No there isn't a way, its the track tension to keep things aligned and tight as you mentioned. It was news to me when Momma pointed it out earlier this year, but I've heard it from a couple other people as well now. You are right, they need a tensioner like on a supercharger belt for sure. Otherwise the system kicks ass IMO, less rotating mass is always a good thing to get power transferred to ground quicker and more efficiently. No messy oil is a huge bonus for changing belts and pulleys and the ability to see it for maintenance is wicked. If I had a few extra bucks laying around I'd have the C3 system for sure.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No tensioner included or required for this setup. They got some hitech redneck to come up with a belt reinforced with Robertson Beard Hair (tm) so it doesn't stretch.

Yeah man thanks... Im here to learn things.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No there isn't a way, its the track tension to keep things aligned and tight as you mentioned. It was news to me when Momma pointed it out earlier this year, but I've heard it from a couple other people as well now. You are right, they need a tensioner like on a supercharger belt for sure. Otherwise the system kicks ass IMO, less rotating mass is always a good thing to get power transferred to ground quicker and more efficiently. No messy oil is a huge bonus for changing belts and pulleys and the ability to see it for maintenance is wicked. If I had a few extra bucks laying around I'd have the C3 system for sure.

Yeah for sure I think belt drive could be a good setup. Ive been looking at c3 belt drive(for a doo) Its 1200$ tho.So it would be nice to see one dynoed at the track to see what kind of diffence if any they make? Not alot of rolling resitance on the doo chain case and dont think there is a ton of wieght to be lost ither.

Plus the chain case looks cleaner to me.JMO

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Now I've heard It all. So why in your opinion are tons of belts failing? My XM doesn't light on fire and your pro doesn't blow up that's cool. But what's your thoughts

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I've heard It all. So why in your opinion are tons of belts failing? My XM doesn't light on fire and your pro doesn't blow up that's cool. But what's your thoughts

good luck getting any technical information off these jackasses......

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i've got a theory!

see that funny looking thing behind the jackshaft pulley. that there is called a brake. to me it seems like a totally fugged up spot. i think if you mounted that brake thingy a little lower then that little belt wouldn't be in charge of trying to stop that big belt in the tunnel

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Inproper breakin
stock can could create too much heat
ice build up

and its not tons of belts failing. Seems to be same guys that blow one, will blow 2-3. (Get mind outta gutter) so maybe rider error is my guess. No one in my group has blown one

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lilpuke you've got your head driven so far up maxi's ass you don't know where he starts and you begin, between thanking and quoting I'm beginning to think you two loud mouths are the same clown

Ive never even met the guy...lol Got any thoughts on belt drive? or are you just here to bullch!t like most here?

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I've heard It all. So why in your opinion are tons of belts failing?

LOL....tons.......ok. Most of the blown belts only happened on the interwebs.

My XM doesn't light on fire and your pro

I ride Yamaha.

doesn't blow up that's cool. But what's your thoughts

I would like to see a tensioner, but I can offer a guess as to why they didn't add one from the factory. With the belt's carbon reinforcement, over-tensioning could be as damaging or worse than a belt that stretches a little bit. It also adds a little weight that Polaris was obviously on a witch hunt for with the '13 Pro.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres lots of work in Alberta.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've got a theory!

see that funny looking thing behind the jackshaft pulley. that there is called a brake. to me it seems like a totally fugged up spot. i think if you mounted that brake thingy a little lower then that little belt wouldn't be in charge of trying to stop that big belt in the tunnel

Very interesting never would have thought of that. Makes perfect sense

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Pluuuus if(when)you blow that little belt you would still have brakes.
i've got a theory!

Top Bottom