What are your thoughts on the Poo belt drive good or bad?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gas cap on my last truck has a thing that ratchets when it's tight enough. They could invent a mechanism to prevent over-tightening... I think myself that it's an oversight. or something that needs special tools to service...

I would like to see a tensioner, but I can offer a guess as to why they didn't add one from the factory. With the belt's carbon reinforcement, over-tensioning could be as damaging or worse than a belt that stretches a little bit. It also adds a little weight that Polaris was obviously on a witch hunt for with the '13 Pro.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gas cap on my last truck has a thing that ratchets when it's tight enough. They could invent a mechanism to prevent over-tightening... I think myself that it's an oversight. or something that needs special tools to service...
maybe a tensioner pulley like on a GM serpentine belt. spring would keep tension at a certain psi....but might be heavier than a chaincase in the end?

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe a tensioner pulley like on a GM serpentine belt. spring would keep tension at a certain psi....but might be heavier than a chaincase in the end?

Ding, ding, ding !! I think we have a winner ! Overall, I think it would still be lighter than steel gears and chain, so much less rotating mass. If they used a spring tensioner along with a lock bolt for the tensioner, the belt could be adjusted by simply loosening the bolt, allow the spring to apply the required tension, then re-tighten the bolt. This type of system is used on many timing belts in the automotive industry.

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've got a theory!

see that funny looking thing behind the jackshaft pulley. that there is called a brake. to me it seems like a totally fugged up spot. i think if you mounted that brake thingy a little lower then that little belt wouldn't be in charge of trying to stop that big belt in the tunnel

I have talked about that a few times with a couple different people and none of us can figure out why it's not on the driveshaft for the same obvious reason. There are a couple different sleds that do this and not sure why. If you blow a chaincase chain, no brakes their either with the brake on the jackshaft.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I see the new cats have an automatic chain tensioner for '14. Maybe the same kind of deal could be figured out for the belt? Now we got some good discussion going boys. :)

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see the new cats have an automatic chain tensioner for '14. Maybe the same kind of deal could be figured out for the belt? Now we got some good discussion going boys. :)

There on the cats from 12 up Chief,,,,, and there not the cats meow either.
Swamped mine out for the manual tensioner and HYVO chain. There is allot going on in there versus the belt drive.
Parts List
2602-465 adjuster block
0123-150 Nut
1602-101 Screw, Cap
1702-261 Arm, Tensioner

auto tensioner.jpg manual tensioner.jpg

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too many chains in there. Looks like a box of worms.:eek: Sure ain't a simple set-up like the Pro's. Hopefully they will refine the belt and pulleys with a new tensioner.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good god, that's a lot of machinery. K.I.S.S. that's way to much crap to depend on. The Poo belt system needs attention, but this seems like putting out a match with a fire hose.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Chaincase = Solid steel gears, almost solid steel chain, case bolts and studs, case itself, tensioner, oil, etc.
Belt drive = Belt, 2 hollow pulleys, 2 bolts.

There is no way a chaincase weighs anything close to the belt drive. Add a couple ounces for a tensioner, still not even close. I know C3 is claiming between 10-15 lbs loss, sounds about right when you factor in all the parts. You've got significantly less rotating mass and less physical mass. The belt issues can probably be fixed with a minimal heat shield and tensioner, add marginal weight and still be much lighter than a chaincase set up.

And if they did move the brake to the driveshaft, they could make the rotor larger and give the brake more mechanical advantage, which may give them an advantage on drivetrain shock because they could soften the brake pull by playing with the caliper and piston arrangement. More mechnical advantage and less pressure would also generate less heat....

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roger that! Summer project is a belt drive for this thing.
Give up reverse, but also give up allot of weight and maintenace head aches, so "that's not too pretty bad"

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be a reverse system on the cats.... Doo's system is soooo much easier with the reverse engine, reverse..... only one chain

How does Doo deal with reverse on the 4 stroke?

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There on the cats from 12 up Chief,,,,, and there not the cats meow either.
Swamped mine out for the manual tensioner and HYVO chain. There is allot going on in there versus the belt drive.
Parts List
2602-465 adjuster block
0123-150 Nut
1602-101 Screw, Cap
1702-261 Arm, Tensioner

Good gawd, that's a lot of cwap up in there, koby!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be a reverse system on the cats.... Doo's system is soooo much easier with the reverse engine, reverse..... only one chain
Poo does it too!
Much better than the system they had in the '90's. I still have nightmares about my old Indy chaincase sometimes lol!

Top Bottom