2013 pro 800 jerks at low speed

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sons sled front drive shaft failed on our last trip last year, the drive shaft itself worn down on the left side and was moving in the bearing inter race, the bearing it shaft was good, so I got a used front drive shift from a junked 2013, installed new bearings and installed the drive shaft in his sled this summer, my son just took it out last week for the first time since i installed the new used drive shaft, the clunking sound is gone and sounds and feels good at speed, But at very low speed, just after the clutch ingages ( say 5km/hr) the sled jerks like something is binding and then letting go. So I took a look at things and the first thing i notice was the bushing (top) on the rear shock and the limiting bar was bad, so I replaced these, sled still did this jerking thing, so tonight I removed the engine drive belt and the belt drive (chaincase side on older sleds) Jack shaft bearings are good, so then i moved on to the track, took tension off of track, front drive shaft turns free and smooth, the only thing I found was the rear idler wheels have some bearing play most of it is the outter race moving in the plastic wheel itshelf, I will replace these, but what else could be cousing this jerking? NOTE I did install a new engine drive belt, thinking that the old belt could of had a burnt spot it it, did not help, thanks for any help or info

Last edited:

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drive belt still good? Have a worn/burnt spot in it?

How about the alignment of the track? Can bind up and let go if it's pulling to one side.
I thought about the engine drive belt having a burnt spot in it, so I installed a new one , no change, track alignment was good

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can have a wieght in Clutch hanging up,
I did check the primary clutch, wieghts, rollers are good, but the primary clutch is hanging up once in awhile ( it just started doing this), it will not totally disengage, it sometimes hangs up on the last 1/8-1/4 of an inch, shut the sled off and within 20-30 sec. it snaps open the rest of the way, the bushing in the cover and the one in the moving sleeve do have play, I was always told that you should be able to push or pull on one side of the cover or the moving sleeve and it should slide in or out with out binding, these do bind, I have a new set of bushings here and the spider braking bar tools ( I hate doing this job) but this could be it, I did not think to much about this being a problem as my 2012 pro 800 does the same thing, but does not do this jerking thing.
I will change these bushings out tomorrow and report back. Thanks

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did check the primary clutch, wieghts, rollers are good, but the primary clutch is hanging up once in awhile ( it just started doing this), it will not totally disengage, it sometimes hangs up on the last 1/8-1/4 of an inch, shut the sled off and within 20-30 sec. it snaps open the rest of the way, the bushing in the cover and the one in the moving sleeve do have play, I was always told that you should be able to push or pull on one side of the cover or the moving sleeve and it should slide in or out with out binding, these do bind, I have a new set of bushings here and the spider braking bar tools ( I hate doing this job) but this could be it, I did not think to much about this being a problem as my 2012 pro 800 does the same thing, but does not do this jerking thing.
I will change these bushings out tomorrow and report back. Thanks
My 13 had the same failure, the clutch seemed to have worn due to taking up drivetrain slop, fixed driveshaft and bearing and had shudder afterwards. Just a shot in the dark. 🍻

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 13 had the same failure, the clutch seemed to have worn due to taking up drivetrain slop, fixed driveshaft and bearing and had shudder afterwards. Just a shot in the dark. 🍻
Your front track drive shaft wore down on the left hand bearing side ? you replaced drive shaft and sled had this shutter/ jerking at low speed ? and are you saying the you had to rebuild the primary engine clutch and this fixed the shutter/jerking at low speed? was your primary hanging up, not totally disingaging ??

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your front track drive shaft wore down on the left hand bearing side ? you replaced drive shaft and sled had this shutter/ jerking at low speed ? and are you saying the you had to rebuild the primary engine clutch and this fixed the shutter/jerking at low speed? was your primary hanging up, not totally disingaging ??
Yes Sir, the clutch had small wear spots we figured caused by the vibration and binding caused from the bearing failure over time. My clutched wasnt hanging up like yours, the pins and weights has small flat spots and the spring had gotten weak (Spring just needed replaced for regular wear). Could be all a one off, just the experiance i had.

Top Bottom