What are your thoughts on the Poo belt drive good or bad?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does everyone and there dog find it a huge engineering fault that if the pros belt drive happens to snap you have no breaks? You know just like sleds with a chain was for how many years? Nobody seemed to think it was bad then... just because you're specific brand of choice didn't come out with a stock belt drive system first is no need for the hatred towards poo and there oversight on the brake location that being said it would be nice to see them change it would be safer ooh and ps I don't want to hear the " the chain would bind up stopping the sled" argument...I've heard it and it's not a good one, sure that would likely happen but doesn't make it any better just luckier... now that vent is out only a few more hours until we find out what the doo crew get to try and pick apart for next year haha no offense doo crew

First of all brakes on the driveshaft have been around on doo and cat for 5-8 years now. (Get with the times poo). If they just came out with this setup last year and we were beaking the pro for not having it one year later then yes your argument would be valid. But 8 years? Comon. So 8 years ago yes we thought that was ok but guess what? Chains rarely or never broke if left in stock form. Of course people messing with gearing combos and bigger tracks would break them but never in stock form when properly maintained. The fact that you have a weak link in your drive system that could fail at any second which also controls your braking ability is just insane. The fact that even 2-3 of these belts have failed is cause for concern. Will you be saying its cool if it lets go on you coming down the trail at the end of that day? Don't think so. 8 years ago I can see these sort of safety items being overlooked but with the controls in place now I'm amazed Polaris is even aloud to mass produce something with a safety issue like this. I hope for 14 that the one modification Polaris does is move that brake down to the driveshaft. I give props to Polaris for bringing this to the mountain segment I think other manufacturers will follow suit. But more testing and research was in order. It is not bulletproof like it should be. If it was we wouldn't be hearing about it on the Internet everyday. Maybe it's as simple as a new belt who knows.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a chain snap once. It piled up and stopped the track. We all know how much fun that would have been if I was going downhill with the track locked. But I was planted uphill. It would have been much easier to get it home with a belt change than mess with a piled up chain.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another weekend in the mountains.. still on the same belts.. 700 miles now

Your welcome again for a post that is on topic

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all brakes on the driveshaft have been around on doo and cat for 5-8 years now. (Get with the times poo). If they just came out with this setup last year and we were beaking the pro for not having it one year later then yes your argument would be valid. But 8 years? Comon. So 8 years ago yes we thought that was ok but guess what? Chains rarely or never broke if left in stock form. Of course people messing with gearing combos and bigger tracks would break them but never in stock form when properly maintained. The fact that you have a weak link in your drive system that could fail at any second which also controls your braking ability is just insane. The fact that even 2-3 of these belts have failed is cause for concern. Will you be saying its cool if it lets go on you coming down the trail at the end of that day? Don't think so. 8 years ago I can see these sort of safety items being overlooked but with the controls in place now I'm amazed Polaris is even aloud to mass produce something with a safety issue like this. I hope for 14 that the one modification Polaris does is move that brake down to the driveshaft. I give props to Polaris for bringing this to the mountain segment I think other manufacturers will follow suit. But more testing and research was in order. It is not bulletproof like it should be. If it was we wouldn't be hearing about it on the Internet everyday. Maybe it's as simple as a new belt who knows.

I can't believe Doo was allowed to mass produce a sled that sponatenously catches fire. More testing and research was clearly in order before they released it. I thought fuel pump issues were addressed back in the 1980's but clearly Doo has just not understood the finite points of fuel injection maybe, maybe 1 or 2 yrs but like 30? C'mon. Maybe they should just go back to carbs and leave engineering to other manufacturers. The fact that even if just 2-3 sleds had caught fire is cause for serious concern, but its been so many more that is the scary part. Chains break all the time on stock sleds, "Never" or "rarely" is a serious understatement. I know of 2 sleds that went down last year due to chain issues, one was a Doo. I can't believe anyone would make that statement, you really need to evaluate what you're posting at times.

I also can't believe its not butter.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe Doo was allowed to mass produce a sled that sponatenously catches fire. More testing and research was clearly in order before they released it. I thought fuel pump issues were addressed back in the 1980's but clearly Doo has just not understood the finite points of fuel injection maybe, maybe 1 or 2 yrs but like 30? C'mon. Maybe they should just go back to carbs and leave engineering to other manufacturers. The fact that even if just 2-3 sleds had caught fire is cause for serious concern, but its been so many more that is the scary part. Chains break all the time on stock sleds, "Never" or "rarely" is a serious understatement. I know of 2 sleds that went down last year due to chain issues, one was a Doo. I can't believe anyone would make that statement, you really need to evaluate what you're posting at times.

FYI there has been way more cat's T 1100 burn than Doo's just saying.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What can we say buddy? Once the boys put their Doogles on, they hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see. Real world experiences are quickly replaced with here-say, and statistics can be invented to suit whatever point they are trying to push on any given day. :Hammer3:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What can we say buddy? Once the boys put their Doogles on, they hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see. Real world experiences are quickly replaced with here-say, and statistics can be invented to suit whatever point they are trying to push on any given day. :Hammer3:

I hear ya buddy. Some of these statements are getting ludacris though. This issue is being blown way out of proportion to make a mountain out of a molehill, specifically because Doo didn't introduce this first. As I stated, if the roles were reversed, we'd see the same folks defending this system.

I heard that people don't ride Yamaha's in the trees either.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ya no kidding brp messed up on that one and they know it. i thought we were talking about belt drives? skidoo addressed the fire issue very fast and dealt with it. problem over halfway through the season. dont shift the topic of the discussion. they were not spontaneously combusting. you would smoke something hard, smell fuel. take multiple steps back and grab some marshmellows. im sorry your buddies dont know how to maintain a chain. thats unfortunate. but no stock sled will blow a stock chain with stock components for no reason. of course once gettting over 5000km one should replace the chain as it may fail over time. but still unlikely.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya buddy. Some of these statements are getting ludacris though. This issue is being blown way out of proportion to make a mountain out of a molehill, specifically because Doo didn't introduce this first. As I stated, if the roles were reversed, we'd see the same folks defending this system.

I heard that people don't ride Yamaha's in the trees either.

define trees. yes you can prance around meadow muffin style through the trees no problem on a yamaha. but the deep thick steep.....mehh not so much. sure it can be done as chris brown has shown but its not the favorable option for that style of riding. and i say style because its not everyones forte. hence the purchase of a yamaha vs a lightweight 2 stroke. and no i would not be defending this belt drive setup if skidoo released it. im the first to admit blowing belts ont he 2008s was brutal and not fun for anyone. and i would be the first installing a chaincase on my sled if it was blowing quickdrive belts left right and center. id even make a tutorial for ya. i bleed yellow but if they fawk up im not going to run and hide and defend crappy junk. ive told you already the fuel nipple issue is a major oopsie but other than that all is well. if doo came out with a unreliable belt drive setup...well..im not going to sit here and defend it like people are with the quickdrive. how can you defend blowing 200$ belts every ride? might be time to change the hampsters if thats how you think. and your right. not everyone is going to blow a QD belt and the internet does blow things out of proportion. but there has been sososo many reports of blow Qd belts you cant just sit back and pretend its not happening.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I had a chain snap once. It piled up and stopped the track. We all know how much fun that would have been if I was going downhill with the track locked. But I was planted uphill. It would have been much easier to get it home with a belt change than mess with a piled up chain.

Who cares? Let's see some pictures of your wife

Ryder1

Reaction score
Speaking of blowing things out of proportion... "how can you defend blowing 200$ belts every ride?"

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Proper maintainance on chain tension and your chain should last forever. If it snaps then it must osf been to loose.

The belt drive is very simple, so is a chaincase that is bullet proof. If I blow a chain it may cost me $350 for chaincase $140 for bottom gear $30 top gear,$140 for the chain =$660 + seal . Quick drive belt $240. It sucks when you blow a few belts sure adds up quick $240+$240+240=$720 alot more than a chaincase that you might get lucky and just have to buy a chain at $140.

Maybe a slip clutch should be add to the bottom gear just like the race sled had to take the shock load out of the belt.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as your getting waranty you should be good.LOL. Suck being broke down as you may screw up the day for you and your buddies.

Ryder1

Reaction score
brp belts were close to that. not sure what your issue is. im sure quickdrive belts arent so cheap either

I was talking about the "every ride" part. I know quite a few quys with these new belt drives that have had 0 issues. I think they are a great idea and work well but like most other game changing innovations in their first year out, it could use minor tweeking.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cats burn trust me!

Top Bottom