Thoughts on 2013 RMK

PJ440x

Reaction score
I just thought i'd point out that this is maybe a little premature since they haven't released the new Summit yet. any weight reduction without sacrificing the overall durability is a good thing and the belt drive imo is a glimpse of the future as well as the new rider friendly boards. NONE of this means anything until we see what it will be compared to when the snow flies next fall!

Very True! Com' on BRP!!! :confused:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good job by Polaris. The belt drive takes less hp to turn, will make the 800 feel a lot stronger. Rotating mass weight reduction is by far the best performance enhancement. Stronger boards will be welcome to the slightly "heavier" riders. It appears that Polaris is focused on the customer's needs and wants for 2013 - should be interesting what the other manufacturers respond with for product in 2013 or 2014. Competition breeds better product for the consumer, albeit at a higher price...

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah some nice changes on the new poo forsure! the belt drive will be fine like stated before CMX used this system for over 10 years c3 powesrports has a belt drive for the doo's and it works! nice looking new running boards it's about time they start making proper cutouts stock but hopefully the running boards are wider on the poo this year. But I gotta say it guys even if the sled ways 18 pounds less than last year that doesnt make much difference maybe a couple extra seat of your pants power but you gotta remeber your packing gear and yourself and all the fluids and anything else you may bring so now that sled is closer to 650+ lbs polaris really needs to get there motors figured out and add that much needed 18+ hp in that motor to match that 18+ lbs weight savings. But looks like it's gonna be another DOO VS POO year AGAIN! Definately a step in the right direction

Polaris sled

Reaction score
They're getting better every year. I thought the 2012 RMK running boards were hard on boots, these new ones will chew though them; at least you won't have to worry about snow and ice build up. If the belt drive system really is 6.5lbs lighter than the ol' chain drive, does that mean more power to the track or just quicker acceleration? If it's getting more power transferred, then SKI-DON'T will not have any advantage over the Pro. If not already done for 2013, they will have step it up a notch.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think doo has a little something something coming out real soon! good to see polaris step up they really needed something solid from the dragon and I think this is it we will have to wait and see if they start cranking up the factory hp numbers and hold the power cause if they do it will be a mean machine! i'm still on the fence I love love my etec but I like the new poo a lot more than kitty it's all gonna depend on if doo drops something that is even better than the etec cause right now i'm nearly 50/50 and cant decide lol

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you imaginethe $hitt storm that would hit if Poo were to come out with a true 160 HP, or even if they were the same as Cat and Doo, LOL, the guys who assume HP is the only factor would have a tuff choice. With the same HP I think the winner in almost all categories would be the Poo.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to reserve my decision till everyone has the 13 lineup released, but this is looking like the year I go back to Polaris...

Polaris sled

Reaction score
The power hasn't changed. 150+hp this year, least year, year before . . .
Why would they up the hp though? They already released a belt drive system, they have to leave something for next year or nobody would want a 2014. Maybe they will have an E-tec knock-off next year.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
polaris does not release any info in regards to the hp of the engine. it all comes from 3rd party dino testers.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The changes that Polaris has made for the 2013 Pro will just improve on what I think is already the best mountain sled out there. If any thing the running boards should make your boots last longer, because you won't have to be kicking the crap out of them all the time to clear the snow. I can't justify bucking up for a new one but might do the belt drive if it's offered as an upgrade for a reasonable price.

Reactions: cs5

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The changes that Polaris has made for the 2013 Pro will just improve on what I think is already the best mountain sled out there. If any thing the running boards should make your boots last longer, because you won't have to be kicking the crap out of them all the time to clear the snow. I can't justify bucking up for a new one but might do the belt drive if it's offered as an upgrade for a reasonable price.
i totally agree i think the number reason boots dont last is from kicking the crap out of your running boards and jagged edges

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and for being the lightest sled(so far) on the market you dont need the big power to make a big difference its all hp per pound

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The belt drive shouldn't be a problem, lots of street bikes use them and as far as reliability timing belts are the same design and last up to 160,000km on Subarus and other imports. Really like the running boards, those are the biggest thing I despise on my 2012. Might be an upgrade for mine in the future.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the running boards are a must! I installed a set on my etec and wondered why i didnt do them sooner! they save on your boots cause your not kicking the crap out of them to clear the snow! with the aluminum you may still get some snow/ice build up but not much. My Jt sports boards have a plasticy coating on them and snow and ice just slides right off them. new belt drive will be really nice just wondering about the changing of gears how easy that will be but i'm sure it will get easier as the years go by. any more word on the motor yet if they have upped the power or not? I know it's not all hp I know i'm a diesel guy I know how power and getting to the ground works but the poo did feel just a bit underpowered for me it comes on quick cause of there good clutching who knows might be that track that is the difference. either way it's 100X better than that cat that is out there!

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the first mods I did on my RMK was Better Boards. They still get some snow build up, but don't require a lot of kicking to clean them.

Top Bottom