When it comes to avy bag fit

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe i am just a tall guy (im only 6'3" tall though) anyway I bought a bca turbo avy bag and taking more time to try it on and wear around the house the "hip" belt pretty much rides on my stomach quite a ways up.

I am guessing guys dont really tighten these belts very much right? Hiking backpacks i have always had the belts on my hips to help with the load. I dont plan on storing a bunch of stuff in the pack so weight shouldnt be an issue. just strange i thought. Also strange i didnt realize this in the store.

Also side question for anyone that bought a bca bag is is suppose to come with a carabiner to clip the crotch strap to the side of the hip belt when not in use? all the pictures show one but mine didnt come with one.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe i am just a tall guy (im only 6'3" tall though) anyway I bought a bca turbo avy bag and taking more time to try it on and wear around the house the "hip" belt pretty much rides on my stomach quite a ways up.

I am guessing guys dont really tighten these belts very much right? Hiking backpacks i have always had the belts on my hips to help with the load. I dont plan on storing a bunch of stuff in the pack so weight shouldnt be an issue. just strange i thought. Also strange i didnt realize this in the store.

Also side question for anyone that bought a bca bag is is suppose to come with a carabiner to clip the crotch strap to the side of the hip belt when not in use? all the pictures show one but mine didnt come with one.
The weight should be on your hips, not your shoulders. You should be able to loosen the shoulder straps to drop the pack lower, allowing the waist belt to be on your hips. This belt should be tight and taking the weight.

The crotch belt might be tied up in a side pouch? I never use mine and leave it off anyway.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure the chest strap goes low enough. The whole point of the crotch strap is to keep the pack from riding up when it becomes flotation in an avi. There have been cases where the chest strap has ridden up and choked people out.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The crotch strap is there to prevent the pack from coming right off during an avy…
If your arms are lifted straight up while tumbling, the pack could slide right off like a T-shirt…

Top Bottom