The wife helping back up trailers

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's hear it. Stories of hooking up. Or backing in. I'll start. So I have to move the enclosed sled trailer. It's surrounded by hard settled snow so when I'm pulling it ahead it wants to slide left as well. I ask my girl to watch it to make sure it doesn't slide right over and rub the metal that's a foot away. So there's my babes keeping 6 for me. Standing clearly in my drivers side mirror. I'm pulling ahead slowly and watching bold sides when I look at her again she is standing there with her ears plugged and cringing from the sound of the trailer wAll being pushed in 2" deep and 8' long. All she had to do to stop the horrible noise was say Stop!! Lol. Man I love her.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife was in my mirror ( well most of the time) it was pouring rain on the Oregon coast and she was guiding me into a campsite in a state campground. As she walked backwards she tripped over something and fell flat on her back in a nice mud puddle. I bailed out of the truck to make sure she was ok. I made the fateful mistake of starting to chuckle at my dear wife soaking wet and covered in mud !!!
You guys can guess how the rest of that day went lol.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's hear it. Stories of hooking up. Or backing in. I'll start. So I have to move the enclosed sled trailer. It's surrounded by hard settled snow so when I'm pulling it ahead it wants to slide left as well. I ask my girl to watch it to make sure it doesn't slide right over and rub the metal that's a foot away. So there's my babes keeping 6 for me. Standing clearly in my drivers side mirror. I'm pulling ahead slowly and watching bold sides when I look at her again she is standing there with her ears plugged and cringing from the sound of the trailer wAll being pushed in 2" deep and 8' long. All she had to do to stop the horrible noise was say Stop!! Lol. Man I love her.

So you are saying you hooked on trailer, began pulling ahead while watching in your mirrors and you knew if the trailer slid a foot it would hit the metal and it's your girlfriends fault? Lol you duffas.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is awkward. i actually backed my trailer over my wifes sled does that count? i thought the trailer was hung up in the snow so i put it in 4low and continued to back up. my riding crew was passed out in the backseat from a hard days riding lol

There are some things a guy just has to keep to himself. Maxwell, this may be one of those times!! Just sayin...

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a huge 5th wheel with a giant electric awning. His wife forgot to tell him it was still out when he pulled out of a spot and ripped the entire awning off let's just say it was a quiet ride home

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you pull away with your awning out you should not be pulling a trailer and then to blame it on his wife what an a hole. ever hear about walk around rig before moving, guess if he didn't hookup or plug in right that would be the wifes fault

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife gave up on trying to help. I always get mad at her for no reason ( at least that's what she thinks)! She guides me back waving like I am right on target then tells me stop so I think I am right under the ball, I get out thinking I did a bang up job. Only to see I am 6" or more over one way. She's like "you got to move over". I get mad and ask her what the point of her being there if she does tell me what direction to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
if you pull away with your awning out you should not be pulling a trailer and then to blame it on his wife what an a hole. ever hear about walk around rig before moving, guess if he didn't hookup or plug in right that would be the wifes fault

Totally agree!! This would have EASILY been averted with a quick light check too. Or take a phuckin look in your mirrors. I have a 40ft 5er, and I would easily see my awning out with a quick look in my right mirror.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a old friend told me about a guy he knows. This guy has 2 way radios in the truck and when backing up he sends his wife out to call out directions on the radio. Shortly after his wife bragged how well this system worked, the friend leaned over and whispered to him that he hadn't had batteries in her radio for 4 years. ;)

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree!! This would have EASILY been averted with a quick light check too. Or take a phuckin look in your mirrors. I have a 40ft 5er, and I would easily see my awning out with a quick look in my right mirror.

No no no... That's not possible, it's wifeys fault!!

Man I hope the girls don't a hold of this thread.. There'll be no tail for anyone!!

Reactions: RXN

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky, or have guided (don't want to say trained) my wife (and daughter) very well. So far no incidents....

I did how ever have my neighbor guiding me under my fifth wheel one time. Multiple trailers on one sight. Was off kiltered and going in on an angle. He's telling me I'm good back up and BAM trailer was too low and creased the rear of the box above the tail light. WTF???Was I pissed......... Totally my fault but if you are going to be guiding you better be sure things are clear (everywhere) before you say "your good!"

I bought my Mom and Dad radios so they can communicate better with their fifth wheel. Communication is key!

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least your wife makes sure she's in your mirror. That's all I gotta say!!!

Exact same problem. Stands somewhere where I cant see her at all. And usually stands on the wrong side so she cant even see what I'm trying to avoid. . I'm amazed I havent crushed anything yet lol but I'm sure its just a matter of time.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I learned years ago.....when we get where we need to back up the RV we stop, get her a beer n clam, get her the dog leashes and hounds, and send her away. I will find a male to help. If none available, will go a couple of feet at a time, get out, survey, move again, get out, survey, etc. Easier in the long run.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a old friend told me about a guy he knows. This guy has 2 way radios in the truck and when backing up he sends his wife out to call out directions on the radio. Shortly after his wife bragged how well this system worked, the friend leaned over and whispered to him that he hadn't had batteries in her radio for 4 years. ;)

Haha. That's funny. !!
My wife and I just use our cell phones. I put my phone on speaker and put it down on the centre console. That way there is no delay or need to push the button. Straight communication. Which is the key to success when backing the trailers.
We use to have all kinds of arguments before we started using the phones.
The only downside to the phones is if you have no reception. Then you just have to do it old school with hand signals and chit. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most important lesson..... If you cant see my mirrors, I can't see you.

When I was in grade 11 and 12 I'd go to work hauling furniture with my Dad during summer (He was a O/O for Allied). Made great money but was hard work.. Backing a 48 foot furniture trailer in and around residential areas that weren't meant to have that big a unit in got very interesting at times. Little kids see the big shinny truck and were like magnets. Staying in his mirrors was so important. If a kid came running out of no where I needed to be able to stop him on the spot. Cars never knew what to do, they would stop in dumb spots in your way or make a B line to get past. Had to be on our A game at all times. And then on top of all that had to watch out for low hanging wires etc....
One thing a driver can do (my Dad did this to me) If I go out of site in his mirrors he stopped and would not move until I became visible again. We got to to point we knew what each other were doing. For example I would want to check the other side of the trailer so I would make eye contact with him and start walking over to the other side (out of mirror sight). He knew what I was doing and I knew he knew that I would not stop until he could see me again in the other mirror.

Top Bottom