Tell me why you ride without a radio?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does that meeting go? "It's getting dark boys, let's head for the trucks."
"Jack's not here,anybody seen him?"
"No? Ok,fawk'em,we're outta here."

I would never leave without all members accounted for nor would I hope my friends do the same. Who leaves someone in the bush?

I have lived, worked and played in the wilderness my entire life, rule of go together leave together. I wouldn't ride with someone that would actually consider leaving someone behind

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got an inreach, but we ride without radios most of the time. but we also run small groups. 2 to 3 sleds. had a few times where it took 10 minutes to find the 3rd guy before but with bigger groups we use radios since it can become a zoo keeping everyone together.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With an InReach you can send texts back and forth between another InReach. Would be very handy when radios do not work...unfortunately I’m the only one in our group with an InReach so won’t be using that feature anytime soon.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The InReach text message also includes coordinates so you can navigate to that location.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I have a BCA radio all my avy gear, & enough food and supplies to survive 2 days on the hill every time I ride. No in-reach or sat phone but our group is pretty good at keeping tabs on one another. The one thing I feel I'm missing is a GPS, being directionally challenged it would be nice to be able to mark waypoints and be able to retrace my steps. I don't often get adventurous but would likely be more comfortable scouting around if I had a GPS.

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a BCA radio all my avy gear, & enough food and supplies to survive 2 days on the hill every time I ride. No in-reach or sat phone but our group is pretty good at keeping tabs on one another. The one thing I feel I'm missing is a GPS, being directionally challenged it would be nice to be able to mark waypoints and be able to retrace my steps. I don't often get adventurous but would likely be more comfortable scouting around if I had a GPS.
If you have an android phone or tablet, try Locus Maps. Really like this GPS app. Works in airplane mode. You can also export save tracks to google earth.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or get an Inreach.
and get two birds stoned in one bush or what ever they say.
its a satellite communications device with two way communication and its a GPS device that can do way points and all that Jazz. All for right around 400. But make sure its the right one. One has GPS and one doesn’t. Or at least thats how it was when I got mine.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the old days we would ride to a hill and smash it till we hit the top. Then we move to the next climb. No radio required. We were all together. These days we ride in the trees near each other. A radio is a must. Lots can happen in a short time. Pinned by a running sled all alone. No thanks. Having a mic in the hand could save you from many situations. We don’t ride with dudes without radios. If for some reason someone in the group doesn’t have one that day we all are aware and keep a closer eye on him/her

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Or get an Inreach.
its a satellite communications device with two way communication and its a GPS device that can do way points and all that Jazz. All for right around 400. But make sure its the right one. One has GPS and one doesn’t. Or at least thats how it was when I got mine.

Sounds great. What kind of shoulder mike does it come with?

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, essential backcountry gear for sledding includes: AST1(minimum), beacon, probe, shovel, airbag, radio, GPS, 2 way satellite communication, and basic survival gear for making a fire and shelter. Anything less, and you are not prepared.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Or get an Inreach.

Sounds great. What kind of shoulder mike does it come with?

He was replying to my post in which I stated I already carry a BCA radio. GPS is the one tool I feel I'm missing

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Radios are so handy. Even if the entire group doesn’t all have one usually somebody is nearby with a radio within the group. Heading up or down we always make sure there is a radio at front and one at back of the pack. My satellite phone is another very important part in my trips. I bought it after a really bad accident from a group that followed our tracks into an area about 15 years ago. It cost $400 per year when I 1st bought it. It’s now $1000 per year which sounds pricey but if it saves a life it is worth every penny. It gets used for pre ordering cat parts on the mountain too lol.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the old days we would ride to a hill and smash it till we hit the top. Then we move to the next climb. No radio required. We were all together. These days we ride in the trees near each other. A radio is a must. Lots can happen in a short time. Pinned by a running sled all alone. No thanks. Having a mic in the hand could save you from many situations. We don’t ride with dudes without radios. If for some reason someone in the group doesn’t have one that day we all are aware and keep a closer eye on him/her

You just described my transition of mountain riding to a T lol. Our group all has radios these, plus at least one in-reach sometimes two depending on our group. And yep 9 times out of 10 we ride right past all the hills we used to smash for hours.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why carry one radio? Why not two?

Technology has become cheaper and with the cost of new sleds which account for most of us as very few people are riding old iron in the back country and the money we put into everything else to ride there is little reason to not have radios, GPS’s, Rinos, Inreach/spots/sat phones and so on but the more tech people carry the more they become dependent on it.

When Spot started becoming popular about 10 years ago we were calling them Yuppy 911 because unprepared hikers and such would head up the mountain in basically urban hikers outerwear and a storm would blow in and they would hit the SOS because they couldn’t make their way back to their Subaru.

Carry all the tech you want. Shoot I have way to much myself at times but nothing replaces good decision making and knowing the terrain you ride in.

Also for InReach/Spot users, I had a false SOS go from my Inreach last winter. It was an eye opener as the call center called my contact and wanted to know very specific details to pass to SAR like what I was wearing, who I was with, what they were wearing, vehicles we had driven to the parking lot in and so on. Most of it she knew and even though we had left a ride plan for the day and my tracking was on it highlighted some details that I now send before every ride. Thankfully when I stopped at one point I did hear these weird tones and was able to stand down SAR.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Garmin rhino for pindrops of your buddy's and baeofang for the range with the long antenna - everytime I go with someone that doesn't have them I get cheddared because they are usually the one on the radio saying that they are over by the trees and the rocks covered in snow - great just f*ckin great

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You just described my transition of mountain riding to a T lol. Our group all has radios these, plus at least one in-reach sometimes two depending on our group. And yep 9 times out of 10 we ride right past all the hills we used to smash for hours.

I agree. Its interesting to see the transition from that practice to choosing terrain wisely.

I credit the ast course providers for this switch, IMO.

Proper communication is key with any group, Radios are a valuable asset for safety.

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Garmin rhino for pindrops of your buddy's and baeofang for the range with the long antenna - everytime I go with someone that doesn't have them I get cheddared because they are usually the one on the radio saying that they are over by the trees and the rocks covered in snow - great just f*ckin great

I love telling guys that. Next to the tree. On top of the mountain. The one with snow on it.

Unless I want to be found. Then it's where we were last together. Look for this landmark and to the whatever side of it.

Top Bottom