"Mousetrapped" Lets Talk About It

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. Ya not a ton slower, but noticeable though. I think what the other guys point was a g5 turbo expert might not be the best sled to learn how to ride on.

Might hurt yourself.

This was my point. And to kimricks point, these younger riders on 9R’s are trying to do hop overs for what point? Their riding ability can’t get them into tight technical enough of terrain where the move is actually important to be able to pull and pull off well. I could care less if someone can flip a g5 turbo on an open hill, do it in a tight tree line when it’s your only option and avoid the tree well…so my earlier point ride within your ability and learn through proper progression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
This guy has tons of hours on a sled....
Can happen to anyone at anytime...

Realism is that Matt says he cant move sled by himself.

I often ride with just 1 other person......

Attachments

• 193487-64881f101f69cd8d97dae49a5ea903b2 (1).mov
    3.7 MB

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had an incident last week. We were in the alpine, a complete new area for all 7 of us. Bluebird day, warm and a ton of snow. You jump off the sleds and you’re in chest deep snow (I’m 5’10”) 4 guys on 165 turbos, 3 on 154” NA. The 154’s were working hard on the hills to get up. Lots of snow.
Buddy 1 (165) decides to try and find a place for us to explore. Buddy 2 (165) follows but breaks to the left of buddy 1 and climbs higher and away. Where they were going, it gave both sleds a workout (both very good riders). The rest of us stayed where we are and played on the little hills, still trying to reach the top (the 154s, 165s had no troubles).

Buddy 2 comes back (5 min later) and buddy 3 (165) joins up with buddy 2 to go play. We then hear on the radio, buddy 1 is stuck in a ravine. You knew it was going to be bad because buddy 1 refuses to have his radio mic on him so he jammed it in his bag. So for him to take his bag off and call, it’s bad.
Buddy 2 and 3, the more capable sleds that can follow his tracks try to locate him and a route where the rest can follow so we can help.

Buddy 2 locks his skid shock and away he went. Buddy 3 had a tough time, turned out and tried again. The hill wasn’t having it. Buddy 2 found Buddy 1, radioed us that they will need help to dig him out.
So, the remainder of the group got up the small hill (where the 154 were tested) to find where they were and a way for all of us to get there.

This is where it goes sideways. Buddy 3 and Buddy 4 (165) try to go up a different route to join the tracks. Both riders poke and turned out, it’s steeper than it looks. Buddy 3 tries again, and flips over and gets mousetrapped. When that happened, I yelled on the radio, It’s on him, get to him NOW! I keep talking on the radio, We are coming buddy, we are coming. Try to relax.

Luckily Buddy 4, a capable rider gets to him. On the radio we hear He’s ok but going to need help to get him out. The rest of us (154) try to get as close to them as possible since they will need help to dig him out. We still had a small hike to get to him.

When the sled came over, it slammed the middle of the handlebars into his chest, slamming his beacon into him as well. With the force of the hit and the sleds weight, not only could he not breathe (Buddy 4 had to lift the sled off him so he could) it smashed his beacon. Which we did not know until we got back to the trailer.

It’s been 6 days since the incident and he still has chest pain. Some mistakes were made and learned from.
Biggest one is, one should ride to the group’s capabilities. If you get to an area where no one can get to, then what.

I can tell you, it’s a very sick feeling watching your son get trapped and you’re not on a sled to get to him. Luckily, being this is the first and second time riding with this group, we had capable sleds and riders to get to him and they reacted. I thanked Buddy 4 all night. Unfortunately I was on a 154. My reg sled was in the trailer (sidewinder) and too heavy now for this guy to throw around comfortably and confidently. I don’t believe I could have got to him without wasting time.
Either way, I can sleep at night without the thought of “What If…”

Oh, and his mother or GF don’t know about the incident.

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When the sled came over, it slammed the middle of the handlebars into his chest, slamming his beacon into him as well. With the force of the hit and the sleds weight, not only could he not breathe (Buddy 4 had to lift the sled off him so he could) it smashed his beacon. Which we did not know until we got back to the trail
I wear my beacon down on my abdomen so it won't get broken by the bars to the chest, seen it happen a few time. May have saved him some broken ribs though. Glad you guys all had radios, can't imagine riding without them anymore

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear my beacon down on my abdomen so it won't get broken by the bars to the chest, seen it happen a few time. May have saved him some broken ribs though. Glad you guys all had radios, can't imagine riding without them anymore
Thank you for selling us said radios!
It might be a new place to wear them. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: RGM

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had visions of this thread going through my head today when this happened.
IMG-20230312-WA0007.jpg

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got crotch strap trapped this past weekend. I went over my handlebars and my crotch strap got hooked on the cat ski loop. I was face down and absolutely pinned to my sled. Paul came over and pulled my sled back and I went with it. Dumbest feeling ever.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a gut feeling when the sled is coming back around if lockin in feels right and when throwing it away makes sense, i notice the dif in weight easily of the g5 turbo compared to the g4 n/a and the last thing i want is that thing coming backwards on me. Amazes me how many guys also dont ride with a finger on the brake, firm beleaver my shorty brake levers have saved me alot over the years

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a gut feeling when the sled is coming back around if lockin in feels right and when throwing it away makes sense, i notice the dif in weight easily of the g5 turbo compared to the g4 n/a and the last thing i want is that thing coming backwards on me. Amazes me how many guys also dont ride with a finger on the brake, firm beleaver my shorty brake levers have saved me alot over the years
Yup a little tap of the brake will SETTLE the front end down thats for sure, same when riding a dirt bike if the front end is to high off a jump or big bump a little tap of the rear brake will bring the front end down!

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After having to get my 22 year old son out from under his 2020 Expert when it came over and pinned him in his trench on "Showoff Hill" right by the Renshaw cabin he has since decided that turning out a bit sooner is a much safer option than going for the re-entry or bow tie option. Had my sled come over suddenly this winter in Lucielle when a hill got vertical in a hurry near the top. As son as I realized I was past the point of turning it out I just bailed and let er go. Where you choose to ride makes a difference. In tight trees or bad chit below I know bailing isn't an option; but what is the consequence of "staying with it"?? I dunno fellas; ride how you ride and try to make decisions that will allow you to go home safely. As said already; I am in my 50's and don't try to ride like a 20 year old. But the younger guys are pushing each other towards the point of a bad outcome at some point in search of social media views. I don't want to see it happen; but we will see injuries and worse...... Coming from an old mountain rider that is seeing the line between fun and safety becoming blurred at this point.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After having to get my 22 year old son out from under his 2020 Expert when it came over and pinned him in his trench on "Showoff Hill" right by the Renshaw cabin he has since decided that turning out a bit sooner is a much safer option than going for the re-entry or bow tie option. Had my sled come over suddenly this winter in Lucielle when a hill got vertical in a hurry near the top. As son as I realized I was past the point of turning it out I just bailed and let er go. Where you choose to ride makes a difference. In tight trees or bad chit below I know bailing isn't an option; but what is the consequence of "staying with it"?? I dunno fellas; ride how you ride and try to make decisions that will allow you to go home safely. As said already; I am in my 50's and don't try to ride like a 20 year old. But the younger guys are pushing each other towards the point of a bad outcome at some point in search of social media views. I don't want to see it happen; but we will see injuries and worse...... Coming from an old mountain rider that is seeing the line between fun and safety becoming blurred at this point.
Good advice. When you become a senior citizen you look for the easier route around the hill these guys do their re-entrys on

Top Bottom