summit plugs WHITE LIKE SNOW YIKES

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay guys not sure what to say here but heres the story. Went out a week ago with 2010 summit 800 checked plugs after a couple runs with it. I felt they seemed a little lean. Went out again (couple days later) and they looked a little better closer to gray. Went out yesterday and checked plugs at a half throttle setting and plugs still looked white/gray (lean) :eek: Then got to another field and held here to the bar and said do or dye B!t@h I shut her down and checked plugs and still white/gray(lean) sled is a stock summit 800. pulled off DPM today and looked to see if i could see any sign of leaks or if maybe it wasn't working maybe a line rubbed thru NOTHING:mad:. Pulled out the solinoid sprayed it with pst with teflon(similar to wd40) it seemed to be moving freely before i sprayed it but i sprayed it anyways. havent took it outfor a ride yet but hope to tommorrow. Would you guys that are running this sled feel that it was possibly the dpm getting stuck??:cool:

I had it in colder conditions(-15c)than yesterday (-5c) and i never had a chance to check plugs but it was similiar driving style and she never squeaked. Sled has 200kms since complete rebuild on engine. Are the plugs on these dpm sleds suppose to run this close to the edge??

pulled off pipe today to take a look inside. very hard to see but i was looking for maybe a sign of erosion on the exaust side of the piston but it all looks good. Can't really see the wash on the piston because of the engine being wedged in the frame so bad.

Note i know what lean and rich are and how to adjust. I rebuilt engine pressure and vac tested all is good, carb boots are good etc etc......

Elevation in Regina is 1849ft BRP's DPM system works from sea level to 10000ft just wondering what you guys are seeing for a plug color.
fuel is shell premium91

thanks in advance
Darryl

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay guys not sure what to say here but heres the story. Went out a week ago with 2010 summit 800 checked plugs after a couple runs with it. I felt they seemed a little lean. Went out again (couple days later) and they looked a little better closer to gray. Went out yesterday and checked plugs at a half throttle setting and plugs still looked white/gray (lean) :eek: Then got to another field and held here to the bar and said do or dye B!t@h I shut her down and checked plugs and still white/gray(lean) sled is a stock summit 800. pulled off DPM today and looked to see if i could see any sign of leaks or if maybe it wasn't working maybe a line rubbed thru NOTHING:mad:. Pulled out the solinoid sprayed it with pst with teflon(similar to wd40) it seemed to be moving freely before i sprayed it but i sprayed it anyways. havent took it outfor a ride yet but hope to tommorrow. Would you guys that are running this sled feel that it was possibly the dpm getting stuck??:cool:

I had it in colder conditions(-15c)than yesterday (-5c) and i never had a chance to check plugs but it was similiar driving style and she never squeaked. Sled has 200kms since complete rebuild on engine. Are the plugs on these dpm sleds suppose to run this close to the edge??

pulled off pipe today to take a look inside. very hard to see but i was looking for maybe a sign of erosion on the exaust side of the piston but it all looks good. Can't really see the wash on the piston because of the engine being wedged in the frame so bad.

Note i know what lean and rich are and how to adjust. I rebuilt engine pressure and vac tested all is good, carb boots are good etc etc......

Elevation in Regina is 1849ft BRP's DPM system works from sea level to 10000ft just wondering what you guys are seeing for a plug color.
fuel is shell premium91

thanks in advance
Darryl

that elevation is quite low, what are you running for jets ? the dpm can only do so much from what I understand.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What was the color of the inside of your pipe??
Some new plugs look white until some carbon builds up. If you have an old set of plugs, use them and do a read.
If there was a leak in the DPM, you would see a rich scenario.

What is your jetting? Go a lot richer and see if it looks any different.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay jeys are stock 480mains. Inside pipe is greyish no sign of brown. These are the plugs that i have run since i rebuilt it i have no old plugs for the machine. I will see if i can get ahold of a couple used ones today. I can kind of see that the top of the pistion is completely coverered and appears to be no wash. The reason i am puzzelled is most of the threads im reading on her say that people are jetting down from 480's to say 450-460 and still all is good so WHY would i be running lean with 480's. I will be looking to pick up a set of 520's just to see if it helps. they are only 10bucks for a set.

will keep you posted

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running shell octane 91.... doesnt shell have 10% ethanol? and isnt ethanol bad for these sleds? just something i heard.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sheet warhawk, didn't i tell you white is right. if you are worried put in the next size jets, and get it running at your elevation dpm should compensate to higher elevations. sounds like you may be running on the edge. egt gauges would tell you where you are at for temps as 1200 to 1250 usually being the limit. easier and cheaper to just go up on mains.

see you in golden fernie. :beer:

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got ahold of a borescope to inspect piston wash. Looks like NONE:eek:
Pulled the DPm apart the other day and just cleaned it but havent had a chance to take it out yet. Today i went and bought 520 mains just to make a huge difference to see if i can change my wash dramatically. Going out tommorrow after work. I will post when i get back my results. Taking borescope with me.

and a cell phone LOL:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running shell octane 91.... doesnt shell have 10% ethanol? and isnt ethanol bad for these sleds? just something i heard.

No shell 91 does not have ethanol. Your source is mistaken.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sheet warhawk, didn't i tell you white is right. if you are worried put in the next size jets, and get it running at your elevation dpm should compensate to higher elevations. sounds like you may be running on the edge. egt gauges would tell you where you are at for temps as 1200 to 1250 usually being the limit. easier and cheaper to just go up on mains.

see you in golden fernie. :beer:

1200 limit????? Not a chance, 1350 is where I start to back off....

Warhawk, I would hope that the DPM is not stuck, and if so it should fail in the rich position, hard to say why it is lean, but I do know they really are lean from stock, plug check on an 08 2 yrs ago was very light tan at best, close to white. Guy rode it like he stole it and it ran well.

Any chance there is a coolant leak that's giving you the white colour? Should smell it though.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Warhawk, I would hope that the DPM is not stuck, and if so it should fail in the rich position, hard to say why it is lean, but I do know they really are lean from stock, plug check on an 08 2 yrs ago was very light tan at best, close to white. Guy rode it like he stole it and it ran well.

Any chance there is a coolant leak that's giving you the white colour? Should smell it though.

One should NEVER use the numbers on the screen as a baseline. establish what is good jetting by wash, plug color...etc, and THEN use that number that shows on the screen as the baseline.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One should NEVER use the numbers on the screen as a baseline. establish what is good jetting by wash, plug color...etc, and THEN use that number that shows on the screen as the baseline.

hahahahaha - FYI me and imdoo'n have a history......I use the #'s on the screen all the time, BUT I have correlated the plug colour to the A/F ratio and the EGT temp, 1300 is 13.2:1 and a prefect light tan on my sled, usually by the time I get backed out of it they are running upwards of 1330 or so....

white is right eh buddy??!!! You and Lon better take them trailer queens ditch bangin' and get some seat time :D

Jet leaner this year bud, I got my new track installed and I just lost 5 lbs....:D

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's rookie obvious, and I hate to ask, but any chance of an air leak on the intake. I had a small crack right at a clamp once that was almost impossible to see. I went through the same motions and didn't find it till the third time through.

Can you guys decribe a good wash or post a pic? I haven't found one yet.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d:)

NO coolant leak

Went over to a friends place last night and looked at 2 other 2010 summit 800's used borescope on them and they might of had a little more wash than mine did with the stock480's but i woud still be a little concerned. They have put on about 100miles since they bought them and have run really good. Mine has 250kms on the 480's so like i said before if it was going to melt down it should have given me some signs on the 480's as far as some erosion on the pistons but they look great

Hey Bart nice to here from you again. Yes i do have to agree that these engines do seem to run lean. i installed the 520 mains last night and took it out for a burn today and I HAVE WASH:d:d. To me i am amazed that this sled doesn't blow up with there setting but i guess the KNOCK sensor must be doing its job when it needs to. The wash i have is giving me HB pencil eraser size marks just off the edges of the transferports. It might be a little rich but i am going to run it here with 520's for this weekend then take alook at it and swap outmaybe to 500's. Sparkplugs have a light brown on them right now and i held her to the bar for a mile to get a good read. did the half throttle run as well and same light brown.

Waiting for the DJ clutch kit to show up and also waiting for a aarm as well (stupid rock, stupid me for knowing the rock was there but had to go play anyway:nono::() Hey Bart will not be coming out that direction at Christmas as I am Yellowstone bound right after we get back from mexico for 4 days.

I will be heading to Golden for sure Feb26, to about the 1 of march. I will be taking my av1 field day on the 27th and the rest of the days i will be looking to ride. Hopefully we can get together before then. Did your buddy buy a sled yet?? you were looking for a m8 or something?

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm sure it's rookie obvious, and I hate to ask, but any chance of an air leak on the intake. I had a small crack right at a clamp once that was almost impossible to see. I went through the same motions and didn't find it till the third time through.

Can you guys decribe a good wash or post a pic? I haven't found one yet.

No air leak as engine was pressure tested and vac tested before install. also if i had a air leak alot of times it only shows on one cylinder. mine is equally lean on both.
see below for other info

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d:) NO coolant leak

Went over to a friends place last night and looked at 2 other 2010 summit 800's used borescope on them and they might of had a little more wash than mine did with the stock480's but i woud still be a little concerned. They have put on about 100miles since they bought them and have run really good. Mine has 250kms on the 480's so like i said before if it was going to melt down it should have given me some signs on the 480's as far as some erosion on the pistons but they look great

Hey Bart nice to here from you again. Yes i do have to agree that these engines do seem to run lean. i installed the 520 mains last night and took it out for a burn today and I HAVE WASH:d:d. To me i am amazed that this sled doesn't blow up with there setting but i guess the KNOCK sensor must be doing its job when it needs to. The wash i have is giving me HB pencil eraser size marks just off the edges of the transferports. It might be a little rich but i am going to run it here with 520's for this weekend then take alook at it and swap outmaybe to 500's. Sparkplugs have a light brown on them right now and i held her to the bar for a mile to get a good read. did the half throttle run as well and same light brown.

Waiting for the DJ clutch kit to show up and also waiting for a aarm as well (stupid rock, stupid me for knowing the rock was there but had to go play anyway:nono::() Hey Bart will not be coming out that direction at Christmas as I am Yellowstone bound right after we get back from mexico for 4 days.

I will be heading to Golden for sure Feb26, to about the 1 of march. I will be taking my av1 field day on the 27th and the rest of the days i will be looking to ride. Hopefully we can get together before then. Did your buddy buy a sled yet?? you were looking for a m8 or something?

Sounds like you might have got'er, I suspect if you are already seeing wash that you will be dropping back to 500's/490's at some point, especially since it has already started developing, either way, it's not like its your first time at the rodeo so I know you'll make it run right.

Yeah, I won't be around at Xmas either, heading home, yes buddy bought a new M8 before I even had your info sent...I think he was a little excited...LOL

Feb 27th sounds like it might work, I'll have to see how work is. hope it slows down by then, if so we should explore some new areas.....fire me a PM about who else is coming with ya and we'll go from there.

chrispy

Reaction score
i have been told by many sled shops and dealers that the summits run alittle rich. My pluggs are always dark, was going to jet down a size from the 480's and check pluggs and wash with a borescope.

chrispy

Reaction score
Thats what i have heard 460's.. Any problems down at 2000' with the 460's. Was going to start with the 470's first.. Have get my over oiling problem fixed before i start jetting .. using about 1 3/4 per tank..

Top Bottom