2021 Summit Expert Turbo stuttering at 6000rpm

tyro

Reaction score
Reaching out to see if anyone has experienced or heard of similar issues.

I have been having ongoing issues with my 2021 expert turbo hanging up around 5800-6000 rpm. The sled runs fine until it reaches just over 40 degrees when it begins stuttering and popping at 6000 rpm. By gradually applying throttle, RPM will not increase past 6000 rpm until it suddenly jumps over 7000 rpm. Even letting off the throttle allowing the sled to go below 7000 rpm it falls back and sticks at 6000 rpm. Under aggressive throttle, it is easy to burp the sled past 6000 rpm with no noticeable hang-up.

I have had the machine looked at by a dealer with no success. No engine codes are present, spark plugs and ignition cable have been changed (noticed burnt connections on plug wires and ignition coil) as well as cleaned burnt ignition coil with no improvement.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was dealing with a 2021 with similar issues last year. Still not repaired. Only thing we haven’t tried yet is the electronic waste gate actuator which sort of makes sense. The computer won’t throw a code on that part as it only reads the position by voltage. So it can get stuck and not throw a code

Replaced fuel pump, both injectors, both boost injectors, wiring harness, reeds, rave valve sensor. All on warranty thankfully but extremely hard to diagnose with no codes and no replication in the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tyro

Reaction score
Was dealing with a 2021 with similar issues last year. Still not repaired. Only thing we haven’t tried yet is the electronic waste gate actuator which sort of makes sense. The computer won’t throw a code on that part as it only reads the position by voltage. So it can get stuck and not throw a code

Replaced fuel pump, both injectors, both boost injectors, wiring harness, reeds, rave valve sensor. All on warranty thankfully but extremely hard to diagnose with no codes and no replication in the shop

That is good to hear that it's not just mine, I have dug through every forum and page and haven't found anything else similar to what I've been dealing with. I just got in touch with BRP to open a case to hopefully throw some parts at it under warranty. I'll pass some information onto the dealer and will keep updated if anything works out.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these issues with the new turbos really turning me off from wasting 30k on a new shitbox lol

tyro

Reaction score

Got the sled back from the dealer and found multiple fault codes this time.

E-rave control deviation x2
E-rave positions functional problems x255
E-rave valve does not reach middle position x46 counts

Dealer cleared codes, reset ECM, checked RAVE positions, and tested wiring resistance. All looked good.

Got back out on the snow and unit ran fine. But first trip back to the mountains sled acted up within first kilometre. Dealer suggested putting more weight in the clutch, sled still acts up but instead of the issue at 6000rpm it occurs at 6200rpm (+/-100).

Going to add a bit more weight today and see if any change.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I go turbo again ill just buy a stocker and take it right to Dave at Redline. Man takes his work very seriously.
Buddy just did the same. Dave figures around 240hp. Can't wait to see that thing go

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dealer cleared codes, reset ECM, checked RAVE positions, and tested wiring resistance. All looked good.

Got back out on the snow and unit ran fine. But first trip back to the mountains sled acted up within first kilometre. Dealer suggested putting more weight in the clutch, sled still acts up but instead of the issue at 6000rpm it occurs at 6200rpm (+/-100).

That is the rpm your RAVES move full close to mid, the number of counts tell you it is a real problem. Rarely does a re cal & re set correct it, I've seen the sensor or the RAVE servo itself fail. Sticky cable happens from time to time as well. Yours sounds more like a servo issue.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Been down that road, it’s not the clutching

tyro

Reaction score
Been down that road, it’s not the clutching

Was up with a 2022 turbo expert today and watched the servo motor for wastegate as you mentioned before. Wondered if it was sticking open and then slamming shut under higher higher voltage. Everything looked good between the two.
Ended up throwing a bunch more weight in the clutch (had already installed heavier pivot bolts) and the sled ran flawless all day afterwards. Makes no sense to me but it seemed to work for now, maybe just a coincidence but it was the first time that the sled made it all day without acting up.

tyro

Reaction score
That is the rpm your RAVES move full close to mid, the number of counts tell you it is a real problem. Rarely does a re cal & re set correct it, I've seen the sensor or the RAVE servo itself fail. Sticky cable happens from time to time as well. Yours sounds more like a servo issue.
I will keep that in mind as I’m still not confident I’m in the clear. Tossed a bunch more weight in my clutch today and had no issues, not sure if it was just a coincidence but it was the first time in a long time that the sled has made it all day without any issues.

Trail breaker 175

Reaction score
Good day , did you ever figure out what was causing the stuttering at 5800-6000rpm.on your turbo?
My sled has been doing exact same thing

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

tyro

Reaction score
Good day , did you ever figure out what was causing the stuttering at 5800-6000rpm.on your turbo?
My sled has been doing exact same thing

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I forgot to update this. I did get the issue solved. Replaced RAVE valve position sensor. Has been flawless since.

Top Bottom