Any older engine mechanics on here?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modern oils don't work well with old flat tappet cams. They took yhe zinc out for emissions reasons and thd old engines really need it. You can buy specialty oil yhat has the zinc.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you getting enough oil to the top end? Looks a little skinny to me
From what I read on, and others with that engine said, yes..there is a steady stream of oil exiting the holes on the rocker arms.
As described by one guy in the one Oldsmobile group. You can wear a white dress suit. Pull the valve covers with the car running and stand as close as you can and you won't get any oil on you.

Compared to another buddies 371 Rocket. I appear to have more oil at the top end than he does.

But you are right. One would expect to see an oily mess.

When I rebuilt this engine. I couldn't find an oil pump primer tool. And the one I have for my 350 Chevy doesn't fit.
So I hacked up an old distributor. Made my own. And no matter what I spun it with I got no oil up past the heads.
I pulled the rockers. And there would be a bit of oil as I spun the pump.
I used different drills. And impact anything that spun fast to turn that pump. Nothing.
Talked to a few guys on the forums. And they said you won't see oil. Car needs to be running to see it. And you won't see much.

Kinda neat I guess

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you rotate the engine while priming you will probably see oil up there. I used a 1/2" drill on my pontiac 455 in my boat while turning engine to get oil up top.

Reactions: RXN

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you rotate the engine while priming you will probably see oil up there. I used a 1/2" drill on my pontiac 455 in my boat while turning engine to get oil up top.
I never did try that. Have to keep that in mind.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too much cam bearing clearance can cause low oil pressure.
Cam bearing clearance has the widest spec of any bearing in the motor. The biggest deal with cam bearings is: did they get installed with all the holes lined up?
As for zinc….run Rotella. Cheaper than ZDDP additives as well as special race oils.

Top Bottom