Any older engine mechanics on here?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is on my, 1958 Oldsmobile 371.
Two summers ago. The engine was rebuilt. New everything. Bearings, cam shaft, oil pump was new too.

Since the rebuild I went back to 5W30 synthetic oil. (I have lots at home cause I run it in everything else).
Car ran fine.
In June the oil was changed.
On Saturday I put 500 miles on.
Drove around a bit on Sunday.
Started the car today. And the oil light stayed one. (Normally it goes out after a couple seconds).

I pulled the sensor and put in a gauge. It read 2psi
According to my manual. The light comes on at 3 psi.
Talked to a few guys. All said I should not run 5w30 and I should never run synthetic.

When I dumped the oil. It looked thin. Like water. So, new filter. And put in 20W50 (a recommendation by a few others with this car). Fired it up. Gauge read 2psi.
Had my wife accelerate it a bit while I watched the gauge. Stayed at 2.

I dumped that oil. Pulled the pan. And the pump out.
I took the pump apart. (All the bolts seemed loose, barely any effort to break loose). Anyways. The gears look good. I see nothing wrong.
I pulled the relief valve. The piston has some marks on it. Can see them, but can't feel them. And it took a few good wacks on the bench to get that piston to pop out.

I'm scratching my head hard here. I really don't know why I lost pressure.

When I head back out there. I'm going to install my old pump from before the rebuild. And then try again. But If I'm still seeing 2psi, then what? From there I really don't know what to check next. Or where to go.

Any advice?

20220817_172613.jpg
20220817_172634.jpg
20220817_172741.jpg
20220817_172749.jpg

Rn4

Reaction score
Scoring could be causing the relief to stick open and dump oil pressure. And being the pressure doesn’t go up with Rpm would suggest it’s stuck open or the spring is collapsed or something to that effect

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on your pump the outside of the gears that rub against the oil pump case is were the pump fails if there is to much clearance there pump no workey

Reactions: RXN

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scoring could be causing the relief to stick open and dump oil pressure. And being the pressure doesn’t go up with Rpm would suggest it’s stuck open or the spring is collapsed or something to that effect
I'm putting the old pump back in. Hopefully I see pressure when I try it

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had this happen to one of my cars few years ago the oil pickup tube came off and was sitting in the bottom of oil pan

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you do cam bearings with rebuild

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright
So after putting my old oil pump back in
I now have pressure. My gauge is only a 30psi gauge. And she buried the needle.
And yes my lifters are now noisy. Hope they quiet down once It runs for a bit.
Pulled the one rocker cover. Every looked and felt good.

So I'm going with that relief valve on the new oil pump stuck open.

Time for shower and bed. Play with it more tomorrow. I was just happy to see that gauge up against the back side of the pin.

Top Bottom