Sledders threatened with gun

Adren-junkie

Reaction score
!Sleds do damage to crops that seeded under the snow(young hay crops,etc) it may not seem like much but it adds up.I got a chuckle out of one of the earlier comments about sleds tracks across a golf course!Why is that any different than a hay field?Plus when you cross a field with dirt showing,with a sled or atv, there are soil diseases now that are transferable from field to field by dirt contact!And once you get it you can never get rid of it and it will continually cost you money.It seems in this day and age people are losing respect for other peoples property because they know most people won't bother with a trespassing charge because of the hassle and the slap on the wrist the offender will get!

LOL:rolleyes:

rgashkei

Reaction score
Tell us more about what we don't know. Sorry, but you're "just the way it goes" wouldn't happen on my land in BC or Alberta. You're attitude is just as "cowboy" as the landowner IMO. If sledders are free to break the rules, why aren't landowners? seems hypocritical, no?

Just curious if anyone knows what happens if you ride on specified/private "Public" land (i.e. caribou closures, national parks etc) in BC? A helicopter will land beside you, and men with guns step out and hand you a fine. That's funny.... Guess you'll be lucky if they don't impound your sled.

You guys are advocating for sledders to ride wherever the hell they want....private land....fawk it...just go. Permission? Nah..... wow.....wonder if people carry this same atttitude out west with them.......tell me again....does Revy have issues? What happens when some dumbass trespassing sledder hits a farmer-installed culvert and then sues the farmer for damages? Farmer will be out, at minimum, his defence legal costs.

I'm pretty sure Sask has an awesome trail system, designed, at least partially, to keep people off of private land......so go ride the designated trails...that's what they are there for.

But this isn't Alberta or BC, it is Saskatchewan and that is just the way it is. Not sure why we keep getting compared to senarios that may happen in BC and/or Alberta, quite a different topographic, especially in BC. Most sledders and land owners have no problem with the way it is, the guys that do have and issue are just the most vocal. Always happens near the most crowded areas, Regina and Saskatoon, etc. Some of the people I ride with are the land owners of the land we are riding on. Most farmers in Saskatchewan are avid sledders as well, I am not talking about the guy that had 40 acres and calls himself a farmer. I don't ever recall a farmer being sued because someone hit something on his land, I wouldn't even consider it if I did that.
We do have trail system in Saskatchewan but not everywhere. Where I drive we have a marked trail, but seldom groomed. Northern areas have the most extensive trail system but is 3 hours away.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But this isn't Alberta or BC, it is Saskatchewan and that is just the way it is. Not sure why we keep getting compared to senarios that may happen in BC and/or Alberta, quite a different topographic, especially in BC. Most sledders and land owners have no problem with the way it is, the guys that do have and issue are just the most vocal. Always happens near the most crowded areas, Regina and Saskatoon, etc. Some of the people I ride with are the land owners of the land we are riding on. Most farmers in Saskatchewan are avid sledders as well, I am not talking about the guy that had 40 acres and calls himself a farmer. I don't ever recall a farmer being sued because someone hit something on his land, I wouldn't even consider it if I did that.
We do have trail system in Saskatchewan but not everywhere. Where I drive we have a marked trail, but seldom groomed. Northern areas have the most extensive trail system but is 3 hours away.

they may have poor reading comprehension i think.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
all fields in Saskatchewan are private land.

I ride with farmers and they do not ride on JUST THEIR LAND.

Majority of you do not ride in sask on farm land so you can fawk right off on how it works around here.

Ive ridden for 20 years in sask. You can drive anywhere you want on farmers lands. Ive done this all over the province, Its just the way it goes. There is land that say PRIVATE PROPERTY and you do stay away from it.

The actions of this man are crazy. A GUN, A FREAKING GUN. Able to kill those two men in a spit second over what?

Do you know for sure there was signs? lots of times there is one sign and you drive past it the wrong way but you are following old tracks sooooo oh **** im going to get shot at for a mistake?

Man what if that was a father and son and some gun weilding maniac just starts kicking your sons sled and punched you in the head? like wtf. If that farmer has PROOF they were on his NO TRESPASSING MARKED LAND then charge them, unluckily for him these snowmobilers have video footage of a gun wielding maniac attacking them.

Oh there are guys like you in Alberta too, and that's the whole reason things like this happen... private property is not a free for all just because its covered in snow does not give you a go ahead to do what you like... its trespassing with or without snow

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell us more about what we don't know. Sorry, but you're "just the way it goes" wouldn't happen on my land in BC or Alberta. You're attitude is just as "cowboy" as the landowner IMO. If sledders are free to break the rules, why aren't landowners? seems hypocritical, no?

Just curious if anyone knows what happens if you ride on specified/private "Public" land (i.e. caribou closures, national parks etc) in BC? A helicopter will land beside you, and men with guns step out and hand you a fine. That's funny.... Guess you'll be lucky if they don't impound your sled.

You guys are advocating for sledders to ride wherever the hell they want....private land....fawk it...just go. Permission? Nah..... wow.....wonder if people carry this same atttitude out west with them.......tell me again....does Revy have issues? What happens when some dumbass trespassing sledder hits a farmer-installed culvert and then sues the farmer for damages? Farmer will be out, at minimum, his defence legal costs.

I'm pretty sure Sask has an awesome trail system, designed, at least partially, to keep people off of private land......so go ride the designated trails...that's what they are there for.

Ive been sledding many years in northern saskatchewan and the one nice thing about riding here is there are no rules about crossing someones land. Not once do we ever get yelled at or guns pointed at us. Now the south and north parts of saskatchewan must be different. There are zoo many small towns all within a half hour ride from each other that we usually like to see who can get there faster for lunch or a beer etc. We don't stop in fields and dig down to the dirt and we don't cross posted land. Again i will say if someone owns that field and doesn't post a no trespassing sign or keep off it is fair game to cross it! Of course we have an awesome trail system but who in the hell wants to ride those! Hard packed and lame! We like to get off the beaten path to find the deep snow that has been drifted up in ponds and lakes etc. Now when it comes to quadding thats a different story as most guys have common sense not to rip across crops and hay fields especially in the spring when everything is soft. Point of story is apparently we all live in canada yet every province and even every area in that province is different.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This so called farmer is a complete idiot end of story!In the area where I live(yes on and around farmers) we are getting a influx of people moving in from the cities and other countries etc! What these people don't understand is that the families that originally settled in this area mostly all had snowmobiles in the early days and had a network of trails from land owner to land owner. As long as nothing gets wrecked or damaged there was no problem. Now the newbies come in as the old generation and selling these idiots are completely out of it and have trouble if you ride by on county road allowance or river for that matter! I've been on farms all my life and yet to see damage caused from sledders crossing in 1ft or more of snow??In fact during the draught years my fields and neighbors had the best grass as the pack of snow melted slowly helping with moisture. The area farmers that come up to us and ask in responsible fashion get my respect and the others that act like this I do not respect and while I would not go on his place he would have one hell of a time keeping me of county road allowance!!Theres an old saying if you want respect you have to earn it, that dip**** is not anywhere close. It would have been just as easy for him to say Excuse me boys my animals get restless when you sled by here could you please sled in a different area??? Bet the response would be different!

Last edited:

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P.S that picture of me carving was in a canola field which i did not ask to sled on! Glad i didn't get shot and i sure hope i didn't wreck the farmers crop that year!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All kidding aside, the farmer was a dick, kicking the sled and slapping the guy were pretty stupid IMO. Don't see a problem if he would have had the shotty casually slung over his shoulder though. A good equalizer of force, what would the story have been if he had no gun and got his ass kicked or worse?

Exactly. I think he would get off, and have the option to charge these guys if he hadnt have done that. He could argue that he had the gun there for self protection, but because he committed assault, I dont think he is going to get off as easily.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
!Sleds do damage to crops that seeded under the snow(young hay crops,etc) it may not seem like much but it adds up.I got a chuckle out of one of the earlier comments about sleds tracks across a golf course!Why is that any different than a hay field?Plus when you cross a field with dirt showing,with a sled or atv, there are soil diseases now that are transferable from field to field by dirt contact!And once you get it you can never get rid of it and it will continually cost you money.It seems in this day and age people are losing respect for other peoples property because they know most people won't bother with a trespassing charge because of the hassle and the slap on the wrist the offender will get!

That was my post and i think you missed my point. Both are private property,the difference is your land most likly does not boarder the main 4 lane hiway into edmonton ! I would venture to say alot of people who see the tracks across the golf course ,never give it a thought until election time......Then support the candidate who wants to shutdown any form of offroad use !!!!

This is a FACT , not speculation .All the hard work and effort too promote responsible off hiway use is compromsed by a few idiots....
We have to look at the bigger picture here lol, not WHO was right in this little pizzin match !

Last edited by a moderator:

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The transfer of disease in winter would be nearly zero! And typically one area of farming is suspect to disease not from 40 acre plot to another! If your talking summer fun and atvs then I could see it. In respect to damage to hay crops and under seeding the snow cover would have to be minimal and sledders spinning down to dirt! My boys spin the heck out of place every winter! Haven't noticed any difference in canola yet!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
The transfer of disease in winter would be nearly zero! And typically one area of farming is suspect to disease not from 40 acre plot to another! If your talking summer fun and atvs then I could see it. In respect to damage to hay crops and under seeding the snow cover would have to be minimal and sledders spinning down to dirt! My boys spin the heck out of place every winter! Haven't noticed any difference in canola yet!

Ya the winter transfer excuse is kinda funny....good thing in the summer the wind never blows dirt, seed or pollen onto an adjacent property. Southern Alberta winds have been seeding Saskatchewan fields for how many years now

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted as I don't have time right now to go back through all of these pages, but for people who aren't familiar with Saskatchewan's Snowmobile Laws, we do have a specific Snowmobile Act. Please refer to Subsection 2 of Section 25. Unless the Land is posted, it's all ride able here.

Attachments

• S52.pdf
    43.9 KB · Views: 74

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the last time I heard of a landowner getting roughed up for asking sledders not to ride on their land. Not sure why people think they need a gun in a situation like this Most A-holes would just refuse to stop. It seems like so many people get a hard on at the thought of having an excuse to shoot someone. Ask a soldier or cop that's had to do it what it's like to live with. Now Quadders, that's a different story....... :D

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted as I don't have time right now to go back through all of these pages, but for people who aren't familiar with Saskatchewan's Snowmobile Laws, we do have a specific Snowmobile Act. Please refer to Subsection 2 of Section 25. Unless the Land is posted, it's all ride able here.
That pretty much sums it up.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it has very much to do with the location rather then the lack of respect for other people and their property.

Top Bottom