Sledders threatened with gun

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't ride in thier yard which is thier property... But you dont need to ask thier permission to go ransack a feild... which is also thier property. Here in Alberta we call that respect. I can see how that could be hard to comprehend.

lol, can i have permission to ride my Skidoo on your property next weekend? i got doolade.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im on your side! Again this post was about what happened in saskatchewan not any other province. People forget Saskatchewan only has just over a million people and Alberta has around 3.6 million. We have a ton of wide open land and on a good 100km ride in day could possibly cross 50 farmers fields which rant posted. That'll be the day when i sit down and get an RM map out and phone every single farmer to make sure i can cross there property when i know the law says i can! People just need to use there heads and stay away from farm yards and livestock and there would be no issues.

people should just stay off private property... period... what happened to land owner rights??? so where does it stop? Can i then hunt on said cultvated or pasture field... how about take my family camping or quad in the summer... in the case of private property... the trespasser legal or not is the one that needs respect not the landowner... remember a man's home is his castle home included your paid for land... i can't believe on this forum we can't all understand or respect that... then we wonder why we loose ground to organized groups... if you ride in the same area it's as simple as doing some pre season talking to farmers...

i wonder how many trespasser offer to help farmers during their busy season... my guess is non... so what give ANYHONE the right to rip up their land... ya if it was ongoing i'd snap too...

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
people should just stay off private property... period... what happened to land owner rights??? so where does it stop? Can i then hunt on said cultvated or pasture field... how about take my family camping or quad in the summer... in the case of private property... the trespasser legal or not is the one that needs respect not the landowner... remember a man's home is his castle home included your paid for land... i can't believe on this forum we can't all understand or respect that... then we wonder why we loose ground to organized groups... if you ride in the same area it's as simple as doing some pre season talking to farmers...

i wonder how many trespasser offer to help farmers during their busy season... my guess is non... so what give ANYHONE the right to rip up their land... ya if it was ongoing i'd snap too...

Like i said on a daily ride its possible (not that i would keep count) but cross at least 25-50 farmers fields. You want me to sake everyone of them is they need a hand on the farm shovelling their grain bins? I think not. Im simply crossing there land which is legal whether its private or not. Im not sitting there racing up and down a quarter of land a hundred times i am not harming anything. And usually my tracks rant the first ones to cross that land (not saying that makes it right). Im hoping people have common sense but thats a long shot. As for hunting i always call for permission but thats cause i probably seen a good deer on the farmers land. When i road hunt (which is all my job gives me time to do) i can cover 100 km a day so again I'm not calling every single farmer who's field i drive by. If i see a nice deer ill stop in at the farmers house and ask for permission and come back the next day!

P.s Im from Northern Saskatchewan i do not need to camp on someones land since we have hundreds of lakes within a few hours drives either in parks or crown land. That is if we can find camping spots now with there stupid online booking bull****

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like i said on a daily ride its possible (not that i would keep count) but cross at least 25-50 farmers fields. You want me to sake everyone of them is they need a hand on the farm shovelling their grain bins? I think not. Im simply crossing there land which is legal whether its private or not. Im not sitting there racing up and down a quarter of land a hundred times i am not harming anything. And usually my tracks rant the first ones to cross that land (not saying that makes it right). Im hoping people have common sense but thats a long shot. As for hunting i always call for permission but thats cause i probably seen a good deer on the farmers land. When i road hunt (which is all my job gives me time to do) i can cover 100 km a day so again I'm not calling every single farmer who's field i drive by. If i see a nice deer ill stop in at the farmers house and ask for permission and come back the next day!

P.s Im from Northern Saskatchewan i do not need to camp on someones land since we have hundreds of lakes within a few hours drives either in parks or crown land. That is if we can find camping spots now with there stupid online booking bull****

i see your point trust me i do... and you sound like a stand up guy... i use to live up in lesser fishing lakes... beautiful area... but my point is you sound like you show respect... how many of don't? Soon they will amend the law... they even you who show respect will be a bad guy... this is how the system works... we don't need more laws we need respect and common sense...

on another noted if there is some much land up there ride it and just plain stay out of the private stuff... cause you can doesn't mean you should... or take a creek bed or road ditch... you will go a long way to helping because sure as chit someone gonna see your track and say f-it lets go rip it up... end rant

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the folks that think it's alright to ride were ever you want- is it because it's not illegal, or because you just don't give a ****??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
mine wear out from sun exposure...I have to replace them every couple of years lol. it's not sledders that piss me off, it's the hunters. even tho my land is posted I find gut piles every season, I called fins and feathers to ask them what I could do and an officer told me all I need is a plate number from a vehicle on my property and they will send the $350 fine thru the mail to the registered owner. he cautioned that I be absolutely certain of the plate number and that they are in fact hunting on posted land. he said they do not investigate, or try to contact the registered owner, they just send the ticket.

I may have some insight on that....quite a few years ago a me and a friend were out hunting on private land with permission with a less desirable day with bit of wind buddy got a bad shot on a moose and he was gone into a coulee we were even sure he hit it so we give him a few minutes and went to check on it sure enough there was a blood trail we tracked that moose for about 2-3 miles through every kind of terran, bush, edge of muskeg, fields on foot and on trikes (ya trikes that how long ago it was) we walked back to the trikes and rode them down the road to some field access road down the sides of some combined fields and finally found him on the edge of some old farm site it was old grass yard no house but some old granaries so we dragged it about 100 yards to the bush edge which was tough on a couple trikes and started to dress and quarter. We were just about done when the wardens and RCMP showed up and an irate farmer screaming like the old feller in the vid screaming we were trespassing and hunting on his land. We had to take them back to where the blood trail started to show how far we tracked it to prove we weren't hunting on his land but apparently farmer didn't buy it and wanted to charge us. We got an atta boys for sticking with and the farmer got pissed off and left. We had to leave the gut pile behind for the coyotes so maybe thats what your seeing not saying a deer gut shot will run a couple miles but it could happen but wouldn't dress a deer on posted property i'd load it dress it else where

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is getting really side tracked from where this actually occurred. I think everyone needs to check back to see where this actually happened.

You guys keep posting in regards to riding across open fields for mile after mile for 60-70 mile rides......blah blah blah.

This incident occurred in a very heavy populated area which does not have mile after mile of openness. There is house after house every 500 yards.

For the sake of this post, please base your posts regarding the context of the area this actually occurred and not the thousands of sq. miles that most usually ride

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may have some insight on that....quite a few years ago a me and a friend were out hunting on private land with permission with a less desirable day with bit of wind buddy got a bad shot on a moose and he was gone into a coulee we were even sure he hit it so we give him a few minutes and went to check on it sure enough there was a blood trail we tracked that moose for about 2-3 miles through every kind of terran, bush, edge of muskeg, fields on foot and on trikes (ya trikes that how long ago it was) we walked back to the trikes and rode them down the road to some field access road down the sides of some combined fields and finally found him on the edge of some old farm site it was old grass yard no house but some old granaries so we dragged it about 100 yards to the bush edge which was tough on a couple trikes and started to dress and quarter. We were just about done when the wardens and RCMP showed up and an irate farmer screaming like the old feller in the vid screaming we were trespassing and hunting on his land. We had to take them back to where the blood trail started to show how far we tracked it to prove we weren't hunting on his land but apparently farmer didn't buy it and wanted to charge us. We got an atta boys for sticking with and the farmer got pissed off and left. We had to leave the gut pile behind for the coyotes so maybe thats what your seeing not saying a deer gut shot will run a couple miles but it could happen but wouldn't dress a deer on posted property i'd load it dress it else where
there isn't really anywhere other than my land where people could possibly hunt, to the west is a house, to the north is a house, and on the east is a golf course. I have the only patch of bush, my whole north quarter is bush except for 35 acres of farmable land and a gas plant smack in the middle. railway tracks run east/west and separate my north and home quarters. highway borders my home quarter on the south, range roads border the west and north...they are azzhole road hunters, too fawking lazy to go somewhere other than 3 miles from town to try and kill something. all my neighbors property is posted as well

Last edited:

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The farm owner went a little too far. Coming out to meet the sledders with a gun is Bull****. Obviously he hasn't read gun laws in a while. Did he ask police if this was a proper way of dealing with sledders. Nope just to mad to give a ****. Yes many sledders trespass on my land and my dads. 100s. If there scaring cows and breaking stuff, then fine it's a different story, then things would change. Signs would go up and fences would go up too. He cries sledders scare his prize winning Alpacas. Maybe some people did, but guess what I'm sure whoever it was probably didn't do it on purpose. If they did then fine deal with it. Signs and fence it off. Animals get use to the noise.
Some say it could of gone bad. Yes it could of, for the trespassing sledder or the owner. He could of shot at them or maybe in self defence the sledder could of ran the guy over, then call the cops on him or leave him there. His better approach would of been to sit at the gate with no way out. Talk to them and tell them to get the f*** off. Most of the time this should be enough to convince the sledders to sled elsewhere and then let them leave. My dad gets pissed off too sometimes when they cut the fences. Not to the point of going out with a gun to meet and greet the sledders. People hit the ditches in winter and wreak our fences .i fix it, never know who did it but oh well. We check fences every spring. Trees break fences and so do wild animals.
As for wrecking the hay fields and transferring disease. I don't think so. A farmer by town has many sledders go on his land, this is the only farmer who has an outstanding crop every year. The wind does a better job of transferring weeds and dirt from field to field, ya ! that's a lame excuse.
Yes he's pissed but so am I at times, but not to the point of showing up with a gun or chasing him off my land, yes they are trespassing but you are liable if they get hurt or die on your land. Yes he has a good point but the wrong approach. All I can say is I hope he has a good Lawyer.
This tread is about sledders not quadders or hunters. That alone is a whole other ball game.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Signs Shmines..... Come ride your quad around my feild around the shop....... You will find out quick enough I dont want you there. I dont need any god damn signs to tell me where not to go. Im not retarded.... If you cant tell when you aren't on crown land and when you are on someones feild you shouldnt be riding there in the first place! Get GOD DAMN PREMISSION FIRST!!!! Dont just ride your crap all over someones place thinking... "I wonder if this guy is ok with this". SO disrespectful. Buy your own farm. I cant believe people are still wondering if these sledders were in the wrong!?! Did your parents have to put a "HOT" sign on your stove when you were young so you wouldnt keep putting your hand on it over and over?

I like your comment "buy your own farm", my last one cost me 145K and is purely garbage land purely for recreation. Then I have to go through the labor and expense of fencing, putting up good gates, posting signs and paying for PL insurance in case some azzhat sledder gets hurt on my land. All this so my kids don't have to worry about riding with others or in their ruts when they leave.
I think all the sledders who back the actions of just riding where ever they want need to buy their own farm for others to ride on and they have to stay out.
Seems fair to me, until you know the lenghts that a PRIVATE land owner has to go through to keep his land private they will never get it!

Signing the finance agreement and just rippin, what boggles the mind is the legths people will go to justify their "right" to other peoples property.
Makes me want to go lock every gate.

Buy a trail pass, support a club and stay where you belong.

Last edited:

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
145 k that's cheap can't get acreage here for that.! The whole idea of this is 99% of sledders are good guys and don't go around harassing land owners. That big alpaca rancher is a idiot period ! Ever been around alpacas? They don't spook to easy anyhow but that's beside the point. The sledders may have took a wrong turn but hey we don't need guns! A friendly hey if you don't mind stay off is all that's required. If they come back then signs and cops! Seems simple! This whole land issue is a crock, there is nothing wrong with cruising across a open 1/4 of land with 3ft of snow on it. If you are a land owner and you get pissed about that you have serious head issues!Irecently had a visit with legendary drag racer Don Garlits. He said by 20 years there will be no drag racing cause people are getting to uptight about noise and every other thing imaginable!! I questioned his reasoning on this abit but if you look around and read this bs it's not far off in this sport either!!

Top Bottom