Please Pack Out What You Pack In

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hikers discover trash at Silent Pass - Golden Star

• Connect with Us

OUR TOWNHikers discover trash at Silent Pass

25300goldenstartrashweb.jpg
Mike Matthews and his wife discovered a pile of trash on their hike through Silent Pass this summer.
— Image Credit: Photo Submitted

• posted Sep 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Take only pictures, leave only footprints. It’s an old rule of thumb for visiting the backcountry, and one that is more often than not respected. The idea, of course, being that you should make as little of an environmental impact as possible.
Unfortunately, there are always some who don’t respect this golden rule, something that Michael Matthews has discovered during several hikes through Silent Pass south of town.
Matthews and his wife Jane explore the back country terrain around Silent Lake every couple of years. In 2009 they discovered a pile of trash along their route. The next time they did that hike they also noticed a significant amount of garbage, and the latest time they did the hike (this summer) there was a great deal of trash once again.
“There were also several sites where people had taken chainsaws and cut trees at half-mast and had huge bon fire parties,” Matthews said. “All of this in an area of first class scenic beauty.”
Upset at what they’d found, the couple cleaned up the area.
Because of the quantity of the trash, the fact that chainsaws were used to cut down the trees, and due to Silent Pass being a popular destination for sledders, Matthews believes snowmobilers are the likely culprits.
“Hikers don’t carry cases of beer on their back up to 8 or 9,000 feet and they don’t carry chainsaws on their backs,” Matthews said.
Matthews has since discussed the incident with Aaron Berlusconi, president of the Golden Snowmobile Trail Society, who he says was understanding and equally concerned with the issue.
Berlusconi was unavailable for comment at the time of printing.
“I was very happy to hear that they were willing to take some responsibility for the bad apples…(because) it’s just a few bad apples that ruin it for everybody,” Matthews said.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
retarded, it ticks me off. It doesn't have to be out in the wild ether, ever look at the garbage at intersections to the highway.

mountianman

Reaction score
I second that. If you notice a group or individual leaving trash out here speak up. There seems to be a lot of RETARDS out there that need to be educated.:nono:

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tim Hortons garbage everywhere on my commute to work. Its ridiculous.
Yep ... love how people can manage to hold on to their double double all the way from Tim's to Costco, park the car, walk 1/2 way around the store only to leave it on a shelf rather than the garbage bin at the end of the isle ... not just snowmobilers who are litterbugs but people in general .... why not step it up a bit and pack out any garbage you find along the trail.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watched a guy turn left in front of me today. Dropped and big gulp cup in front of a Jammed intersection full of people. To many don't care

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love the people that pull over at little driveways to a farmers field and 15 minutes later you drive past, they're gone but there's a Tim Hortons or Wendy's bag sitting there. Next time I'm just going to hang around for a bit longer and get a plate number. Same goes for the people that open their door to dump coffee in the parking lot. I pull in and go to get out and find your liquid litter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love the people that pull over at little driveways to a farmers field and 15 minutes later you drive past, they're gone but there's a Tim Hortons or Wendy's bag sitting there. Next time I'm just going to hang around for a bit longer and get a plate number. Same goes for the people that open their door to dump coffee in the parking lot. I pull in and go to get out and find your liquid litter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I here ya, I'm that farmer that can't open his gate for stepping in diapers or toilet paper all over the place. I partially blame the gov't for not setting up decent rest areas like the states. That thing outside Edmonton is a joke and a waste of money.

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
passed a truck on hwy 18 past thunder lake and he was standing in the box hurling garbage out. as I passed I honked and may have thrown the finger out the window which was very quickly returned with the same by the guy filling the ditch with his garbage. yes I should have stopped but I didn't... my bad! by the time I realized what happened they were gonzo.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
passed a truck on hwy 18 past thunder lake and he was standing in the box hurling garbage out. as I passed I honked and may have thrown the finger out the window which was very quickly returned with the same by the guy filling the ditch with his garbage. yes I should have stopped but I didn't... my bad! by the time I realized what happened they were gonzo.
Should have stopped and shoved some garbage down his yap

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I here ya, I'm that farmer that can't open his gate for stepping in diapers or toilet paper all over the place. I partially blame the gov't for not setting up decent rest areas like the states. That thing outside Edmonton is a joke and a waste of money.

It has an amazing joke written inside it thoe. "Once you go black youre a single mom"

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't know to many sledders or any at all that pack chains saws

And half mast it says. Lol. Guessing that's from tree wells or something.

Some of the locals carry chainsaws and many mountain riders have hand saws/machettes on their sled or in the pack. I know of a lot of half-mast trees and some are cut pretty neat, others are just broken or snapped and I can just imagine the bumper.

I don't like the mess (and never have) and agree that one has to pack out what one packs in. The trees, even tho' we try to be careful and not damage too many, just grow to be big mother ****ers and some selective thinning needs to be done for the future generations.

IMG_2320.jpg IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

Top Bottom