• BLAME JUSTIN BEIBER

Votes: 18 13.5%

• Total voters

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
https://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat-14/sledders-threatened-gun-90249.html

Watch the video. And then vote, Who was wrong, the farmer, or the sledders?

Moderator please add a poll to this thread, i can't seem to find out how? For now just put "farmer" or "sledders", i see a lot of posts but they seem to be the same people. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

This is voting for who is in the wrong.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I vote sledders were in the wrong.
From the land owners perspective, someone is riding across your land, the sledders more than likely cracked the throttle a few times which in his mind sounds like a big f-u and it's probably not the first time it happened.
As far as bringing the gun - considering the random violence that happens everywhere these days, I wouldn't confront people (alone) without some sort of weapon. If the landowner pointed the gun at them then that's too far. I'm guessing that he brought the gun to let them know he couldn't bring someone with him but he's got a back-up.
I personally would not ride on land that I didn't know for sure was public or had permission.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
I think you need to add "both parties" to the poll. They were both in the wrong, the farmer just took it to the extreme level.

I agree the farmer could, and being publicly displayed this likely will be getting in trouble for pulling out a gun, however the sledders were the first ones in the wrong here, by riding on private property without the landowners consent. You cannot just ride everywhere.

Last edited:

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the dumb ass farmer should be charged. If everyone that had a problem started flinging a gun around just imagine the problem we would have. I have guns and would never through it around no matter how mad I was. Accidents can happen and if it went off I think the opinions of alot of people would change. If that was me he would have been picking his teeth out of the snow and the gun out of his a..

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both were wrong. But last time i checked we live in canada, not iraq or some other unstable place in the world. Brandishing guns like this chap did should be made an example of. Not a good decision for him. So what if those two guys that were doing the unthinkable by riding on his precious property were young kids and when they saw this piece of work come up with this assault shotgun scaring them and they try to run? Would this guy thats in a state of temporary insanity loose it completely and let off a shot into one of them? Totally unreal and as far as im concerned trespassing for the riders and confiscation of the guns from the farmer cuz obviously he needs to be shown how the laws and system are supposed to work in this country. Unfortunatly not a good situation to have on camera.

Reactions: RXN

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also agree, both in the wrong. Also agree if sledders weren't there he would not have had to react.
He said he needed to protect himself and that is why he had the gun. That SOB attacked them. Since when is it OK to take law into your own hands all vigilante? That's farmers mind set was all wrong right from the get go. The sledders should have not been there.
Charge them both..... But I have a feeling the cops will try to discourage either side from pressing charges.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a soldier point a gun at me in the Middle East because of some stuff that was going on. I remember that feeling being absolutely terrified and enraged at the same time. The soldier was pretty calm, not wigged out like this farmer.
If you bring a gun to have a conversation with someone that does not have a gun and start acting crazy, crazy stuff happens. Farmer was wrong and should be charged.
Although I am not Navy Seal material, but I took exception to that soldier pointing the gun at me and my mind was made up on how I was going get the gun from him and use it.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just watched the video, not good.
The first thing we all must remember is we do this sport for FUN, at least I do. Not to piss people off or start wars. Be respectful of people's property, especially near their yards or animals. Also learn the rules of the game, they change from place to place, landowners, I am talking to you too.

What I saw of this incedent ( not the history these people may have), the farmer totally overreacted, and escalated it by bringing the gun out. There are people more beligerant than I who would see the kicking, the swing he takes and particularly the gun as an justification to recipricate the same level of violence. The farmer had no idea who was under the helmet and what he is capable of. It is clear in the video that the farmer could easilly have lost his gun to the sledder.
In Canada we don't "press charges" as in the US, but the farmer should be expecting the crown prosecuter to pay him a visit. Is all that worth it? Maybe a better approach is warranted.

Lets hope we don't hear of this sort of thing again.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Farmer should have loaded that baby with salt rock and let rip. Those sledders deserve it... Total dis-regard for property and where they are riding is what gives this sport a bad name in the first place. Thats what makes it so hard to keep areas open and fight for more! Also.... After having numerous things stolen living on an acerage... Stay the $#%^ off. You cant just rip around wherever you want becuase it looks fun... And how does anyone know what that farmer has been putting up with over the years? Is it possible after having quads and different machines destroying crops, herding his animals around...... basically stealing money out of his pocket... maybe that was the last straw! Put yourself in his shoes... If he would have gotten out of the truck.. "excuse me guys would you mind staying off of my land?" Thats not going to do a damn thing.. they would have been back the next weekend.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farmer should have loaded that baby with salt rock and let rip. Those sledders deserve it... Total dis-regard for property and where they are riding is what gives this sport a bad name in the first place. Thats what makes it so hard to keep areas open and fight for more! Also.... After having numerous things stolen living on an acerage... Stay the $#%^ off. You cant just rip around wherever you want becuase it looks fun... And how does anyone know what that farmer has been putting up with over the years? Is it possible after having quads and different machines destroying crops, herding his animals around...... basically stealing money out of his pocket... maybe that was the last straw! Put yourself in his shoes... If he would have gotten out of the truck.. "excuse me guys would you mind staying off of my land?" Thats not going to do a damn thing.. they would have been back the next weekend.

from what i understand in sask it is perfectly ok, stay out if posted or gates closed, and stay out of yards, which the boys apparantly did when they seen the house, so what is the problem.

suggest you read the sask regs, they do not apply to alberta, i would suggest the farmer get a copy and read them also. not against the law to ride unposted farm fields in sask.

common sense would suggest to keep out of fenced area's.

Last edited:

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rock salt might seem like a good idea but then you go to jail for sure. We don't know the history between the farmer andthe sledders but his actions are pretty clear on the video as being a little out of control in my opinion. He did stop them on his neighbors property. No matter the past history involved here you still can't take the law into your own hands. I agree that the sledders were trespassing but to bring a gun to the party is very dangerous and it could have ended very badly for all involved had someone been shot whether by accidental discharge or otherwise. Just my opinion.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Meh. To each their own. Some little bastards rode some dirtbikes across out back field and made off with my dirtbike and all my gear. Next time I see someone doing that.. I will be out there with a gun. Buy your own field to ride on. Trespassing leads to theft.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Meh. To each their own. Some little bastards rode some dirtbikes across out back field and made off with my dirtbike and all my gear. Next time I see someone doing that.. I will be out there with a gun. Buy your own field to ride on. Trespassing leads to theft.

haha, tell me how Alberta provincial laws apply to Saskatchewan.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless of what province, I feel both sides didn't handle it properly but I still side with the farmer.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you mean

from what i understand, in Alberta you need written permission to be on private property posted or not, saskatchewan it is perfectly legal unless posted, so really your arguement does not hold water in saskabush. guys found themselves near a house so they left, seems like the right thing to do to me.

Top Bottom