Classifieds - How do you want it handled?

How should we handle comments on Classified Ads

• I agree with Longhorn

Votes: 43 54.4%
  • I agree with Sledbunnyracing

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 12 15.2%

• Total voters

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Your rights are being taken away right in front of your eyes folks...

According to 94Fordguy:
Re: 2011 Arctic Cat M8 HCR "Mechanics Special"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have no legitimate business or do not wish to make a serious offer on the machine, then you have no business posting here.

This thread will now be cleaned up

VOTE NOW!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the price they were askin for there HCR i got an '08 M1000 for 1000.00 more than that and it will absolutely kick that things butt. And it isn't bent anywhere.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did i win with the $4500 dollar bet so here is a question buddy that smashed it has to buy parts and if i buy it i have to buy parts so is there 2 sleds if there is i will give u $9000 for the pair hahaha

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
did i win with the $4500 dollar bet so here is a question buddy that smashed it has to buy parts and if i buy it i have to buy parts so is there 2 sleds if there is i will give u $9000 for the pair hahaha

Its just a crap deal...sucks for the dealer for sure, but why pawn off their bad luck on us consumers...

Oh ya...Did you VOTE?

94fordguy

There is obviously a lot of passionate feelings going on about this topic at the moment.

I can certainly understand wanting to call a spade a spade, and looking out for the well being of a fellow forum member, I feel the same way.

Let me share my opinion since that is what we appear to be doing here.

My question to the potential buyers or critics - If you see an advertisement in the local newspaper or on TV about an item for sale that you think is too much money, Do you take out an advertisement the next day to 'bash' or to question their reason for asking what they are? I realize that my be a little more than replying to the thread, but the concept is the same.

If you are selling your sled and I think the engine bay is a little greasy, does it serve a constructive purpose to make a post that says "That thing look like insert expletive here Making a casual suggestion such as 'it may help to clean that thing' is one way to go about it, but a blatent insult about a persons product really serves no purpose IMO.

Intentional low-balling a buyer by a huge amount serves no purpose but to anger both parties.... If you have a truck with a dent in the fender that you are asking $10,000 for, would you like it if I came into your ad and posted an offer of $1,000 when we BOTH know you will never sell it for that price? Let's be reasonable here. Be responsible when you post something that you KNOW is not benefiting anyone "That looks like _____"

As to flexing muscles, the moderators here including myself do what we do on a strictly VOLUNTEER basis to TRY to help the forum the best we can... Heaven knows we all make mistakes and ruffle feathers from time to time, but I will guarantee you that 99% of the time my and the other moderators intentions are nothing more than to help in the best way.

Do we want a free-for-all in the classifieds??? NO.

Do we want the best for an open exchange of ideas and serious comments between sellers and perspective buyers??? YES.

Do we want to censor every single comment in the process??? NO

You may disagree with me, and I may disagree with you, and that's OK, but we shouldn't subject a seller to being burned at the stake just because they want to sell something, whether it is over-priced or not, that will only matter to the person who winds up making the deal on it to if its a bad deal or not.

My $.02

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
There is obviously a lot of passionate feelings going on about this topic at the moment.

I can certainly understand wanting to call a spade a spade, and looking out for the well being of a fellow forum member, I feel the same way.

Let me share my opinion since that is what we appear to be doing here.

My question to the potential buyers or critics - If you see an advertisement in the local newspaper or on TV about an item for sale that you think is too much money, Do you take out an advertisement the next day to 'bash' or to question their reason for asking what they are? I realize that my be a little more than replying to the thread, but the concept is the same.

If you are selling your sled and I think the engine bay is a little greasy, does it serve a constructive purpose to make a post that says "That thing look like insert expletive here Making a casual suggestion such as 'it may help to clean that thing' is one way to go about it, but a blatent insult about a persons product really serves no purpose IMO.

Intentional low-balling a buyer by a huge amount serves no purpose but to anger both parties.... If you have a truck with a dent in the fender that you are asking $10,000 for, would you like it if I came into your ad and posted an offer of $1,000 when we BOTH know you will never sell it for that price? Let's be reasonable here. Be responsible when you post something that you KNOW is not benefiting anyone "That looks like _____"

As to flexing muscles, the moderators here including myself do what we do on a strictly VOLUNTEER basis to TRY to help the forum the best we can... Heaven knows we all make mistakes and ruffle feathers from time to time, but I will guarantee you that 99% of the time my and the other moderators intentions are nothing more than to help in the best way.

Do we want a free-for-all in the classifieds??? NO.

Do we want the best for an open exchange of ideas and serious comments between sellers and perspective buyers??? YES.

Do we want to censor every single comment in the process??? NO

You may disagree with me, and I may disagree with you, and that's OK, but we shouldn't subject a seller to being burned at the stake just because they want to sell something, whether it is over-priced or not, that will only matter to the person who winds up making the deal on it to if its a bad deal or not.

My $.02

ABSOLUTELY NOT...... there is no room for reason on the interweb....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the feedback in a classified add is what dictates the market value for an item.

if there are 10 people commenting about price related issues chances are the poster is in the wrong with his price.

now this isnt an auction and the owner has the right to list his product at what ever cost he wants.

so at that point when comments start arrising in a classified add the OP should be able to PM a moderator and say please cleanup my forsale add i am going to lower the price or mention that i am in NO hurry to sell this so the price is AS IS. if i want to sell my trailer for 2g more than its worth and have the add sit for 6 months then so be it. but it should be mentioned in the OP that this is a firm price and if you do not like the price move on it is not priced for a quick sale.

as far as im concerned if an item is listed and 100% of the comments dissagree with the pricing the add should either be edited and cleaned up/deleted or let the comments flow.

this is no different than any other classified add.

ive listed on kijiji and had people low ball me and harass me over email and phone to try and give me 50% of what im asking. i have not had that issue on this site because my items are priced fairly. and if they are not a member or numerous members would let me know in the comments thus lowering my price. memebrs on here arent idiots they are constantly searching for sleds and parts day in and day out. most of us know what a fair market value is for an item. when a for sale add gets out of control its for obvious reasons. and for that let it roll.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
It was a great $.02 and you make some valid points...I think the whole issue here is completely based on one ad...You of course know the one in question...

Now I dont believe you were here the other day when this all began, we have now lost all our posts twice...To me that is muscle flexing...

I agree with your other points 100%...however I do feel everyone is pretty good at not bashing and making positive comments in the classifieds. What you did miss the other day though was important, as some of us were asking VALID questions regarding the sale of the sled. I for one was very interested in the unit as a project...Once some of the questions were answered though, the deal appeared very sketchy...And trust me, tonight was a small showing of support that I am not the only one that felt that way.

So why do we place the blame on the like-minded members?? Why as mods and admins are you not looking to protect the rights of your members? Why arent you seeing the ad as a horrible deal and warning us to stay away?

Another vendor asked a valuable question that again was deleted. Why is a vendor advertising in the classifieds?? Dont they have their own place for that??

Also...We are bashing dealerships in other parts of the site, so why are we protecting this one?? I was told tonight by another mod that there is nothing wrong with bashing a dealership if it helps to inform other members of bad service, or a bad deal. Same mod also said that this helps to promote the dealership as promotion is promotion good or bad.

free press time thats the way i see it

even big companies bashing other companies on tv in comercials so i dont see a problem why the normal peep in here cant do the same if he had bad expierience

So it appears that there is a lot of confusion as to what is acceptable and what is not...

On another note...We all know you guys volunteer your time as mods, we appreciate that, it would just be nice to see you all work from the same rule book.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
how often i gotta write that i will change the thread u pull my quotes out after that all has the decissions made that are best for every one or not

u guy got ure poll lined up here and a thread to discuss about this situation but no u still have to write in multiple other threads and keep on going and going

take this thread here to voice ure opinion and leave the other ones allone till everything gets sorted out

ps:if u quote me quote me so that people actually see the whole thing and not just one part of it that lets it look like im working against all the other mods ! pls and thank u !

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
how often i gotta write that i will change the thread u pull my quotes out after that all has the decissions made that are best for every one or not

u guy got ure poll lined up here and a thread to discuss about this situation but no u still have to write in multiple other threads and keep on going and going

take this thread here to voice ure opinion and leave the other ones allone till everything gets sorted out

ps:if u quote me quote me so that people actually see the whole thing and not just one part of it that lets it look like im working against all the other mods ! pls and thank u !

Again, I will reiterate for you...NOT my poll...SBR started the poll to gauge how the other members felt, asked and answered once already tonight...

Any quote of yours that I used was a 'complete' quote...What are you talking about? I have only quoted you based on questions asked about why we are bashing a dealership...If you dont like what you have said, that is not my fault...

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
where is the part that i sayed i will change the thread after all the stuff is worked accordingly ??? not mentioned is it ? thats my point !

the thing is that u keep on going and going about one thread

but that we have to find a way to keep every member happy in the classifieds so u might be able to snatch that one part u need so bad one day , thats what it seams is one thing u kinda forget

everyone has there opinions u got urs i got mine so as sbr or any other member on the site

to find a way to keep everyone happy aint that easy

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
where is the part that i sayed i will change the thread after all the stuff is worked accordingly ??? not mentioned is it ? thats my point !

the thing is that u keep on going and going about one thread

but that we have to find a way to keep every member happy in the classifieds so u might be able to snatch that one part u need so bad one day , thats what it seams is one thing u kinda forget

everyone has there opinions u got urs i got mine so as sbr or any other member on the site

to find a way to keep everyone happy aint that easy

But you are missing the point...my questions were based on the fact that you were allowing and participating in the thread...The poll results will do nothing the change the HD dealership bashing thread, now will it?? What would you change regardless of what we want in the classifieds, yet we have been accused of bashing the seller who in this case is a dealership...

I feel every member was happy with the classifieds...and how they were run...The poll shows this was perhaps not the case, its closer to 50/50...

And trust me I know how hard it is to keep everyone happy on a site, but guess what, eliminating posts on a daily basis isnt winning any points on the happy meter...

Also...not directed at you Fossy, but nobody has answered the other question I have asked...Why is a vendor advertising in the classifieds anyway?

Top Bottom