BC Hydro wants to raise EV charging fees

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
August 22, 2023 by Adam Malik

BC Hydro wants to raise EV charging fees​

Media report notes that customers are pushing back on time-based fees.
Eelectric-vehicle-charge-Depositphotos_57257653_L.jpg

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
A recent bid from BC Hydro has electric vehicle owners who rely on public charging concerned.

A report from The Canadian Press noted residents have been seeing savings from switching from gas-powered vehicles to electrics. The utility said that raising rates at public EV charging stations by 15 per cent starting Sept. 1. would allow it to recover the costs of providing stations over 10 years.

But would the rate hike reduce the incentive for others to make the switch to an EV?

BC Hydro said the new rates would depend on the type of charger used. Time-based charges would be between three and 60 cents per minute, and power-based charges from 33 to 44 cents per kilowatt hour. Extended-stay charges would be 40 cents per minute.

The BC Utilities Commission appointed a panel to consider the application and is accepting public comments.

CP spoke to Rick Butzelaar, a Nanaimo resident who emailed the commission to deny the request over the fees-by-the-minute charge.

“What kind of concerned me more about the increase (is) as soon as we bought the EV, the home charger rebate ended,” Butzelaar told CP. “We don’t have a home charger.”

The hike is “just and reasonable” and will protect its other customers from the costs of providing power through public charging stations, BC Hydro wrote in its submissions to the commission.

BC Hydro told customers about the proposed rate increase earlier this month. Public comment letters were recently posted.

“I do not feel that BC Hydro should be granted a rate increase at their EV chargers at this time. First, they should not be allowed any increase until they change from by the minute to by the (kilowatt hour) charging,” wrote Warren Lemcke of Surrey, B.C. “As I am sure you know, the rate that a vehicle draws electricity from a BC Hydro machine is determined by the vehicle, not the machine.”

Jennifer Lactin of Vernon, B.C., said in a letter to the commission that BC Hydro should be incentivizing people to use electric vehicles by providing subsidized charging rates.

“BC Hydro should be providing EV charging at a reduced rate to encourage people to switch (to) EVs,” the letter said. “BC Hydro should be displaying leadership in encouraging EV ownership by providing non-market prices.”

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association told CP that said many people want to know more about the costs of electric vehicle ownership, but “range anxiety” remains an issue. There’s confusion about how long a battery charge will last and how far it can take them.

He added that the proposed rate increase may be understandable, but the timing and “optics” are not quite perfect.

“It just adds a further stumbling block, I think, in the process of consumers trying to make the decision to, you know, put their toe in the water for an electric vehicle,” he said.

The association hasn’t taken a formal position on the issue. BC Hydro did not immediately respond to requests for comment from CP.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
B.C. Hydro has imported 10,000 gigawatt hours so far in 2023 — about a fifth of the province's energy needs — at a cost of about $450 million, according to spokesperson Kevin Aquino. Lets build more charging station at a cost of $50000 a charging station... we can worry about getting the power to them at a later date.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm paying $0.59/kWh at Tesla superchargers these days. Used to be about $0.28/kWh in 2018-2021.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO its a good thing. The price increase further justifies people to have a home based chargers, as household electricity rates will be significantly cheaper. Which reduces the number of chargers the Government needs to build.

Hopefully it will also increase the costs enough that private business can begin to setup chargers and make them profitable, eventually ending the government based charger model entirely.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We knew it was coming. We worried about how much we would subsize the EV owners.
It really concerns me that they aren’t paying a tax to use the highways with those heavier vehicles and now they want a cheaper rate.
Nothing in this whole Green Deal seems like it is effective at doing anything other than one more item to put more people against more people. Divide and conquer???

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only a matter of time until road taxes are applied. Once enough have been incentized to convert to electric they will nail em with it.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One litre of gasoline is equivalent to 8.9 kWh. Up the price on charging make a 1 hr drive cost the same as a combustion engine with similar power levels.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One litre of gasoline is equivalent to 8.9 kWh. Up the price on charging make a 1 hr drive cost the same as a combustion engine with similar power levels.

I actually watched something similar on the news the other morning, its being talked about. It’s coming, no way the provincial governments will not charge the highway use taxes on electricity thats on Gas. I wonder how long it will take before there will be a separate meter for at home charging.
Electricity for EV use should be equivalent pricing to gas if its being pulled off the grid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like EVERYTHING else the price will increase. Anyone that doesn't think that must love sock boy and is taking in all that he spews out of his pie hole. imo

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
🍿It's gonna be interesting to say the least when the greenie's start bitching about pricing at public charge stations for sure, let alone what they will be charged for electricity at home. What will be funny though will be when someone with an EV goes into an urban setting with not a fully charged EV (because of laziness or forgetfulness) and uses the public terminal to charge "all day" while at work therefore creating alot of unhappy consumers who would like to possibly get a quick charge in and be on there way, and the next nearest charge is 2 miles away hmnn:unsure: that will be the very interesting part. Because we all know they simply won't be installing these stations as fast as the greenie's would like without taxing the public to do it and the public bitching about having to pay for it. Gonna be an interesting follow on this subject though.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If gas is $1.80/L and 9 kWh of electricity is $1.80 (which it is) isn’t it already the same price?

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If gas is $1.80/L and 9 kWh of electricity is $1.80 (which it is) isn’t it already the same price?

Power is more than 9c kwh in Alberta right now that's for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom