• CHARGES SHOULD NOT BE LAID

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • BLAME JUSTIN BEIBER

Votes: 18 13.5%

• Total voters

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledders had no idea where they were, they where on fenced property, does not require posting! During the interview if you listen closely the sledder said he was doing nothing wrong!!! WTF - he learned nothing, if after all this he still does not get it. Guaranteed he will do it again.
There lies the real problem, it is not OK to buy a sled and just go where you want. Sorry but when you break it down sledders/trespassers are the root problem of this entire scenario. As a chain of events broken down pull the sledder/trespasser link out and what do you get......... nothing. No problem with private land owner.
Pull the farmer link out of the chain of events and what do you get.......trespassers breaking the law. Root cause still exists. Herin lies the area that is at faut and requires correction.

My appologies but I can not make it any more simple than that for where the correction to the problem lies. It has absolutly nothing to do with any private land owner, he is meerly a link in the chain of events caused by others.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rotax_Kid
I don't know if this has been posted as I don't have time right now to go back through all of these pages, but for people who aren't familiar with Saskatchewan's Snowmobile Laws, we do have a specific Snowmobile Act. Please refer to Subsection 2 of Section 25. Unless the Land is posted, it's all ride able here.

25(1) No person shall operate a snowmobile over any privately owned land,
whether enclosed or not, without the consent of the owner or occupant of the land.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of any private land outside of a city,
town, village or hamlet unless there are signs at least 30 centimetres in length
and 25 centimetres in width prominently placed at each corner of the land and at
intervals not exceeding 800 metres along the boundaries of the land bearing the
words “SNOWMOBILES PROHIBITED”, “NO TRESPASSING” or words or
symbols to a like effect.

have you even read the above posted saskatchewan provincial laws that are related to this event. till then your part of the problem, and probably the reason all this started in the first place. unless his land is posted in a rural area it is not against the law to ride on it.

read subsection 25-2 again until you can understand, how more clear can it get? correct yourself please. read the friggin thread.

Last edited:

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you even read the above posted saskatchewan provincial laws that are related to this event. till then your part of the problem, and probably the reason all this started in the first place. unless his land is posted in a rural area it is not against the law to ride on it.

read subsection 25-2 again until you can understand, how more clear can it get? correct yourself please. read the friggin thread.

Mabe this farmers land is posted

One thing your missing is what everyone should go by, " if you don't own the property stay off of it"
if for some reason I needed to cross the land posted or not I would get permission first. That's called RESPECT, not to common these days.

If I was the farmers in that area and the farmer gets charged, I would make sure every bit of farm land is posted and no permission given - maybe then people would use a little bit more respect.

As I said before, it's to bad that farmer did not leave his gun in his truck, he is going to pay for that.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.snowandmud.com/images/styles/snow/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rotax_Kid [/URL]
I don't know if this has been posted as I don't have time right now to go back through all of these pages, but for people who aren't familiar with Saskatchewan's Snowmobile Laws, we do have a specific Snowmobile Act. Please refer to Subsection 2 of Section 25. Unless the Land is posted, it's all ride able here.

whether enclosed or not, without the consent of the owner or occupant of the land.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of any private land outside of a city,
town, village or hamlet unless there are signs at least 30 centimetres in length
and 25 centimetres in width prominently placed at each corner of the land and at

We arnt going to win this argument. Too many bull headed assholes.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from the other thread;

Mabe this farmers land is posted

One thing your missing is what everyone should go by, " if you don't own the property stay off of it"
if for some reason I needed to cross the land posted or not I would get permission first. That's called RESPECT, not to common these days.

If I was the farmers in that area and the farmer gets charged, I would make sure every bit of farm land is posted and no permission given - maybe then people would use a little bit more respect.

As I said before, it's to bad that farmer did not leave his gun in his truck, he is going to pay for that.

again if the land is posted stay off, common sense tells me if is is fenced to stay out. other than that no law has been broken by anyone other than the so called "farmer".

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes I did read the Act and you could very well be right imdoo'n but in the video interview I thought there was a sign posted. Could be my bad but if not I'll stick to what I said. Posting every 800M is one sign per quarter section corner, pretty far apart to pick up on, gates and accesses may not necissarily posted. The sledders in Sask have a lot more accees than here in Alberta which is good for them.
Just so you don't think I'm a total dick I do open the gates to my farms as one in particular is needed to cross a small ravine along the highway even though this farm was just purchased (another 145K into playtime!) for the sole reason of another quarter for my kids to play on and me to shoot moose. Pretty hard for a sled to do any damage to that pile of rocks, bush and swamp. Not to bad considering we do get fences cut and gates broken every once in a while.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to beat this to death, but there is another part of that Snowmobile act that does state that in a town, village, hamlet, etc in Saskatchewan, That it is illegal to operate on private land without permission regardless if the land is posted or not. Just for back ground on this particular incident, this did not occur out in the middle of nowhere on an open field. The RM of Corman park surrounds all of Saskatoon for about a 20 mile radius and there are also a couple of Hamlets right in the area where this occurred. The particular area in question south of the city is a well developed area with lots of million dollar properties. The majority of it would be 10 acre or less parcels with each Acreage being fenced. In my opinion this is a very stupid place to even want to go ride as you would be in peoples back yards where ever you went.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to beat this to death, but there is another part of that Snowmobile act that does state that in a town, village, hamlet, etc in Saskatchewan, That it is illegal to operate on private land without permission regardless if the land is posted or not. Just for back ground on this particular incident, this did not occur out in the middle of nowhere on an open field. The RM of Corman park surrounds all of Saskatoon for about a 20 mile radius and there are also a couple of Hamlets right in the area where this occurred. The particular area in question south of the city is a well developed area with lots of million dollar properties. The majority of it would be 10 acre or less parcels with each Acreage being fenced. In my opinion this is a very stupid place to even want to go ride as you would be in peoples back yards where ever you went.
Well that certainly sheds new light on it....!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes I did read the Act and you could very well be right imdoo'n but in the video interview I thought there was a sign posted. Could be my bad but if not I'll stick to what I said. Posting every 800M is one sign per quarter section corner, pretty far apart to pick up on, gates and accesses may not necissarily posted. The sledders in Sask have a lot more accees than here in Alberta which is good for them.
Just so you don't think I'm a total dick I do open the gates to my farms as one in particular is needed to cross a small ravine along the highway even though this farm was just purchased (another 145K into playtime!) for the sole reason of another quarter for my kids to play on and me to shoot moose. Pretty hard for a sled to do any damage to that pile of rocks, bush and swamp. Not to bad considering we do get fences cut and gates broken every once in a while.

not really, just in sask they have slightly different rules, those from Alberta and BC don't necessarilly apply there. so to comment like you have is pointless.

again we have only so much info given, if there was a sign it would have been in the reporters video, and the farmer would have pointed out the sign. which tells me he has no idea what the rules are in the first place, and thus he is in the wrong.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
In my opinion the dumb ass farmer should be charged. If everyone that had a problem started flinging a gun around just imagine the problem we would have. I have guns and would never through it around no matter how mad I was. Accidents can happen and if it went off I think the opinions of alot of people would change. If that was me he would have been picking his teeth out of the snow and the gun out of his a..

Maybe that's what should happen, then maybe people would think twice before trespassing on somebody's private property. just think if things were like Texas, and everyone was packing heat, there might be more respect for everything all around. Don't get me wrong, I am not supporting this farmer either, at least not without more facts.... but? too many people think its just a free for all out there.....its not

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

unless this incident took place in a city, town, village or hamlet. or property was posted. section 25-2 applies whether you like it or not. as one poster said the problem is compounded by city folk moving to the rural areas, not knowing what the rules are. if u don't want sledders post it properly, then you have a leg to stand on.

common sense tells me not to go in there, new fence, new gates, how do you get outta there without making a u turn or cutting wire. i'm thinking rural people know not to cut fence wire.

Last edited:

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At this time, we both could be wrong, we only have the limited info given to go on. Me i saw a new fence metal gate which was open, i didn't see a sign posted. Can't say i'd go in tkhere. But i still don't like guns being used for something so petty.

I agree with you totally on this and I am in the same boat. Not sure if I would go in or not.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
I think the main problem with this whole situation that alot of people are missing is that the farmer did not confront them on his land. It was his neighbors. He chased " a couple sleds" down in the neighbors field. FWIW it could have been two other sleds that were on his land either that day or maybe a few days before. Or maybe they had permission from that neighbor? Point being it was not his land he was confronting them on. Rules out protecting his land from the argument. On his land, maybe he has some justification to confront them. But all he had to do was park across the gate till they came back and tell them to beat it. If they get violent or start being aggressive, your in the truck, grab the defender. No need to even wave it around.

Also, anyone else notice the open gate? Gate's mean fenced property which mean do not enter. If you have a fenced property that you want to protect for what ever reason. Close and lock gate. Simple.

trouble with this is some fences (including signs) will get blown, and drifted over.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see why the guy was pissed, maybe went to far with the gun thing. Honestly though you need to see the area where this happened. There is no way you just inadvertently landed up in an area of field with out driving down someones driveway past their house. Most of these places have pretty fancy fences surrounding their properties. When you start messing with ones lively hood people get mad.

I would be totally surprised if the land in question is not posted. I am doing a boiler start this afternoon out that way this afternoon and am going to have a look.

Welcome to Ring Ranch Alpacas

The ring ranch is located right beside the Casa Rio subdivision below where it says Baker Road.

Casa Rio- Hamlet
Casa Rio East- Hamlet
Grasswood- Hamlet
Ashwood- Hamlet
Southpoint- Hamlet

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this is where they were riding there is no excuse PERIOD....It is acreage subdivisions .Almost EVERY quarter is split up !
Another example of too CHEAP,LAZY and complete lack of respect to even think to ride in a highly populated area like that !
Load the frickin machines up and get out in the toolies and this would of never happened !!!!!

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see why the guy was pissed, maybe went to far with the gun thing. Honestly though you need to see the area where this happened. There is no way you just inadvertently landed up in an area of field with out driving down someones driveway past their house. Most of these places have pretty fancy fences surrounding their properties. When you start messing with ones lively hood people get mad.

I would be totally surprised if the land in question is not posted. I am doing a boiler start this afternoon out that way this afternoon and am going to have a look.

Welcome to Ring Ranch Alpacas

Casa Rio- Hamlet
Casa Rio East- Hamlet
Grasswood- Hamlet
Ashwood- Hamlet
Southpoint- Hamlet

View attachment 169320

i would assume it is now posted, if it wasn't before. in the hands of the crown prosecuter now. probably blow over, but could have had life changing consequences. no idea why anyone would go in the property in the first place, but again we have only limited info.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would assume it is now posted, if it wasn't before. in the hands of the crown prosecuter now. probably blow over, but could have had life changing consequences. no idea why anyone would go in the property in the first place, but again we have only limited info.

Well now it is even more confusing isn't it, to tough for me. I'll ust ride on my land.

rgashkei

Reaction score
Thanks imdoo'n for continually pointing out that this is SK and the snowmobile act is pretty clear, not sure why that continues to be argued. You DO NOT NEED permission to ride on private land.
Really they are both wrong, unfortunaltely only the farmer is criminally wrong. I have heard that the land was not posted so leagally the sledders are not legally wrong. BUT, why would you even ride in that populated of an area. We live in SK, you have wide open fricken prairie with miles of untouched snow so why even consider riding that close to the city. I see this all the time around here. Have some respect and stay away from peoples houses. Even if they didn't see that house they were still pretty dam close to other houses and should not even playing around there. Get out of the populated areas, stay away from houses and have some respect.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So... Assuming someone was trespassing that stole me stuff is a bit of a stretch...Did they teleport into my shop and take my stuff then?

I know they were trespassing. What I should have said in my comment was tjat your stuff probalbly wasn't stolen by kids out for a ride who discovered your stuff but by azzhats who were out there to steal your stuff and nothing else. Sorry for the lack of clarity with my comment.

Top Bottom