Ignorance or Laziness ???

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always tarp on the highway. Between the hotel and the hill I don't bother. A good tarp and a few strategically placed bungee cords and there should be no flap, no rub and no water penatrating. I average somewhere between 12-15000km per season on my truck traveling between Fort Mac and Revy with sled on the deck and never had much for issues. My dealer did replace all the bushings on my 2012 summit's rear suspension after the first season due to wear that they suspected was caused by road grime from sled being on the deck. I currently use a Skinz tarp because I like that it covers the entire tunnel and ski's but I don't think its the greatest tarp. I have had to repair it half a dozen times and it can be a real bitch to stretch over the 163 when its cold out. One thing Ive learned over the years is that all brands of tarps suck and if I can get 2-3 seasons out of one Im doing pretty good.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I like kimrick's humor! The fixed income sort of sets a dude in his ways.

Like all above, different strokes for different folks. I tarp if the road is wet and slushy and I am travelling any distance. My 10 km to the daily staging area from the resort doesn't require tarping. When I do tarp, I use the bunjie trick to snug up the tarp and prevent the ballooning. Washing the tarp while it is still wet is a lot better than after it dries. I can't seem to get the salt marks out with even a day or two of drying. If I doo get the sled grimy and salt covered, I hose everything down (even the motor compartment) when I get home and put it into the warm shop to dry.

I am not anal about the cleaning but if I am travelling, I will pull into a truck wash and clean the truck, deck, and sleds before I check into the hotel. Like others, I hate climbing around with the grime undoing SuperClamps and dealing with dirty messy tarps. Saying all that, I like my deck and wouldn't go back to a trailer given where I live and ride.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't tarp for the 10 km either, used tarp once last year

Then I wash my sled off if it is dirty with fresh clean pow (b)

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe a silly question, but wouldn't the grime be a non-issue if you wash your sleds when you get home? I would assume that you'd wash them anyway. No?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe a silly question, but wouldn't the grime be a non-issue if you wash your sleds when you get home? I would assume that you'd wash them anyway. No?

from my experience it seems to get into places pressure washing doesnt get. electrical connections etc. sleds are hard to get at the complete motor nowadays so even a good pressure washing your still missing alot.

HILCLMR

Reaction score
To each his own I say, when I ran a deck I also hated dealing with a slimy tarp. Although I would tarp when traveling to B.C.
But it is so nice to just run them up there superclamp them and hop in the truck and go.
I'm actually thinking of picking up another deck so I don't have to haul my 28' enclosed........what to do?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enclosed trailers ? #1
Sleds on truck decks with covers? #2
Putting sled on open place pulling behind ?
For get it even with cover.
I will take my own truck before I put my sled on open trailer .
That's just me though.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enclosed trailers ? #1
Sleds on truck decks with covers? #2
Putting sled on open place pulling behind ?
For get it even with cover.
I will take my own truck before I put my sled on open trailer .
That's just me though.

Me too. It wouldn't be the first time I've arrived at the staging area solo with just my sled in my 30ft enclosed LOL.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in Alberta the roads are always wet, man does your highway maint. crews love salt.....I hope northern BC doesn't follow suit, because I will be back to buying an enclosed

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends how far I'm going if I tarp or not. Snotty roads always tarp and even if it's cold but I'm hoteling I'll tarp as it holds some heat in and thaws the sled out a bit.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't stand having all that road crap on my sled. I find starting a ride with fairly clean sled is the best. All shiny and nothing broken.
I've had friends spot a loose bolt on my a-arms. That wouldn't happen if it was covered in crap.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm gonna build one of those clam shell type dealios for a deck

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all the rocks,trees,stumps, cliffs ext my sled runs into up on the mountain a little road grime is the least of my worries......

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Half ton, of course...[/QUOT

I had that idea as well, found a used trailer with a shell, put it wasnt the right size, so bought an enclosed instead....

Still use the deck from time to time, scotch guard the cover, snug it up, always found the factory AC covers fit well, never any rub marks...

Have had wet road's going to the hill, I would rather deal with a grimey cover, then a grimey sled to ride....

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I left Northern Ontario to ride in B.C, 2800 k's to Hinton Alberta to hitch up with my Brother. We had a open trailer......Covers on both sleds and I used the blue boat shrink wrap stuff and both sleds still had the tunnel polish still gleaming ! Good for long haul drives. Glad I did it as truck alone took 1 hr pressure washer to see if it was still black.

Top Bottom