Ignorance or Laziness ???

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just driving back from Sicamous and again am noticing all the sleders with decks and sleds that are not covered and just filthy from road salt and grime!... And it's more common than not, do people just not care or do they all have so much money that it doesn't matter!... Boy if I was buying a used sled I would really give it a good once over as most of the sleds I see are brand new. Just a question and a rant! Someone please make sense of it all to me!... $80,000 truck, $30,000+ in sleds and no tarps with crappy roads.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a side note when it's cold that the roads aren't melting I will run no tarp for a short distance. But when the roads are wet and melting you need some protection

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah... I trailered my sled once last year open deck... Rusty y pipe. Did it again with tarp..... Didnt matter. Im going to scotch guard the crap out of my tarp.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Each to there own!
I dont from boulder or Frisby, but any further I protect my investment.
KI realize that i lost some dollars when i left the dealer on my sled, but do not subject it road grime, rocks, salt etc.
That **** reaks havoc on wiring.
See it all the time even driving to Revy or back home.
I stop at the carwash in Revy when I get home to wash cover and spray sled off.
Maybe I am just anal but I always get good dollars on my used stuff because I look after it......

Just my little rant and my opinion only!

Merry Christsmas and happy new year to all S$M members.

Be safe and dont forget to check avy and weather conditions.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a side note when it's cold that the roads aren't melting I will run no tarp for a short distance. But when the roads are wet and melting you need some protection

I agree, if its cold and dry, I don't tarp, wet i always tarp and wash when home......I sure miss my enclosed on those wet days

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You don't cover a 80 000 dollar truck but choose to drive it in the salt / crap roads so why would it be a big surprise to see $15 000-$30 000 in sleds not covered? That being said I cover mine in crap road conditions. Salt kills everything not just sleds.

Bguy05

Reaction score
My buddy has a skidoo with the flat white panels and his tarp rubs the panels and makes them all black. So it works better to clean it really good when u get home instead of tarping. Once those panels get that black rubbed marks on them it's almost impossible to make it white again.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2004 summit has always been hauled on a snowmobile deck and never covered once. It still looks like new. I wonder how much damage a flopping tarp does? Because 11 years with no tarp has caused no damage.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a factory tarp, the darn salt/moisture goes right through that tarp and stains the aluminum. Have an enclosed never again have a salt issue. Super clamp and go. That would be the first thing I look for on a sled if looking at used.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
From the hotel to the hill, I would never tarp. If I was to pound out the hiway miles, it would be on, and YES to a couple of cans of Scotch guard every year, even if I don't use the tarp.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a tarp helps to keep the sled a liitle bit warmer . i have had a few buddys that used deck and no tarp and had troubles getting sled to start. mine started fine. i do agree with the tarp flapping in the wind as the paint on my a arms was worn off after a few seasons.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
a tarp helps to keep the sled a liitle bit warmer . i have had a few buddys that used deck and no tarp and had troubles getting sled to start. mine started fine. i do agree with the tarp flapping in the wind as the paint on my a arms was worn off after a few seasons.

I agree with the flapping on the a arms.. But then i listened to other s and m members and used bungy cords and voila ... no more rubbing,,,,,,
Pretty hard to cover an 80,ooo dollar truck while driving..... He he.....
I guess just wash everthing and take care of it.....
Old guys just try to save what we have because CCP only gives us a little. Lol Ha Ha.....Fernie snow whats i M Tlking about.....

Like i said... Each to there own!
Differnt strokes for differnt folks.......
If we dont do differnt stuff we would not have anybody to laugh at in the parking areas when guys are burnining doughnuts and driving their sleds onto the roof of their trucks or hitting the sides of the trailers......Bwhhaaaa!

Just an ole guys opinion.... Might have been there and done !

Last edited:

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we use the enclosed trailer or sled deck and sometimes both depends on the group going,the sleds on the deck stay cleaner than most people think unless weather is warm and roads are very sloppy. when people think the deck is hard on the sleds due to road grime you could also say the enclosed trailer will have massive moisture in it causing problems also, its a give and take going either way. wash before parking in my opinion is the best way to take care of sled

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove from sicamous to priddis/millarville area today un-tarped! I hate taking the grimy tarp off so I don't bother find 5 minutes with a rag and sleds clean when I get home or few turns when you get to the mountains clean it up as well. got tired of my clothes and stuff getting filthy from the tarp not lazy or ignorant!

Top Bottom