Thumb vs Finger

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throttle, thumb or finger?
Well that's been a topic of discussion for a few years now with Pro's and Con's, like's and dislike's on both sides.
I over the year's have had the opportunity to use both and like many sat on the fence or even disliked the finger throttle. Well till this current season when I found why I disliked the finger throttle or wasn't finding my groove with it.
I'm lucky enough to ride many different sleds, makes and models and including couple of professionally built and ridden sleds, something I get to do a lot and here is what I found about finger throttles.
Throttle positioning is key, sound too simple doesn't it but true. Over the years I found trying out sleds that the finger throttle needed proper mounting and when not mounted properly was tough to get used too and even scary as the handle bars would be driven into the finger making control difficult.
What I found is guys mounting their finger throttle at approximately a 9 O'clock position, most common it appears, it was very difficult to use the throttle and even could be considered dangerous. Always being told "you will get use to it in no time".
Wrong, its just not mounted properly.
Here is the deal, finger throttles are for riders who prefer the standing position over sitting. The positioning of the throttle should be in the riders natural position while standing. 7-8 O'clock on the bars and not 9 O'clock as commonly mounted and I have seen on many sleds.
In its proper position throttle control is insane in technical terrain and even hill climbing and no driving of the bars into the finger. The only time the finger throttle is not natural is in the sitting position.
Well what about the sitting position? Todays mountain sleds are technically design to be rode standing and the seat is more of a decor, useless.
Same can be said about the thumb throttle on todays mountain sleds. The thumb throttle has been around since the beginning of time in the snowmobile world, when sitting was how you rode a sled, not standing. So the thumb throttle is right at home for a sitting position, not so much for standing or technical riding. The control of a thumb throttle will be course more on/off in comparison when standing and negotiating a technical move.
Makes sense as it is positioned and made to sit....OLD SCHOOL
So do your self a favor, give that finger throttle another go, make sure its mounted correctly, you might surprise your self.
But if technical riding is limited and you find your self sitting more then all day standing, thumb throttle may be your friend.

PS, this year all my sleds are getting converted to finger throttle, better late then never and that includes the wife's sled after she experience the difference.
BTW, this is JMO nothing else.
Have a great summer

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throttle, thumb or finger?
Well that's been a topic of discussion for a few years now with Pro's and Con's, like's and dislike's on both sides.
I over the year's have had the opportunity to use both and like many sat on the fence or even disliked the finger throttle. Well till this current season when I found why I disliked the finger throttle or wasn't finding my groove with it.
I'm lucky enough to ride many different sleds, makes and models and including couple of professionally built and ridden sleds, something I get to do a lot and here is what I found about finger throttles.
Throttle positioning is key, sound too simple doesn't it but true. Over the years I found trying out sleds that the finger throttle needed proper mounting and when not mounted properly was tough to get used too and even scary as the handle bars would be driven into the finger making control difficult.
What I found is guys mounting their finger throttle at approximately a 9 O'clock position, most common it appears, it was very difficult to use the throttle and even could be considered dangerous. Always being told "you will get use to it in no time".
Wrong, its just not mounted properly.
Here is the deal, finger throttles are for riders who prefer the standing position over sitting. The positioning of the throttle should be in the riders natural position while standing. 7-8 O'clock on the bars and not 9 O'clock as commonly mounted and I have seen on many sleds.
In its proper position throttle control is insane in technical terrain and even hill climbing and no driving of the bars into the finger. The only time the finger throttle is not natural is in the sitting position.
Well what about the sitting position? Todays mountain sleds are technically design to be rode standing and the seat is more of a decor, useless.
Same can be said about the thumb throttle on todays mountain sleds. The thumb throttle has been around since the beginning of time in the snowmobile world, when sitting was how you rode a sled, not standing. So the thumb throttle is right at home for a sitting position, not so much for standing or technical riding. The control of a thumb throttle will be course more on/off in comparison when standing and negotiating a technical move.
Makes sense as it is positioned and made to sit....OLD SCHOOL
So do your self a favor, give that finger throttle another go, make sure its mounted correctly, you might surprise your self.
But if technical riding is limited and you find your self sitting more then all day standing, thumb throttle may be your friend.

PS, this year all my sleds are getting converted to finger throttle, better late then never and that includes the wife's sled after she experience the difference.
BTW, this is JMO nothing else.
Have a great summer
My thumbs are destroyed from 40 years of handlebars. And a little bit of work. I’m gonna go finger throttle this year just to give my thumb a rest.

flatspeed

Reaction score
Mine is 3D printed and I keep it slightly loose so it can rotate on the bars, not sure if that’s possible with the munster unit. It’s more like 7 o’clock when I’m riding, and when I sit down on the trail I rotate it back to about 9 o’clock. Also while bashing thru trees it has the side benefit of just spinning down instead of getting pinned.
Also on a really long trail ride Ive spun it down to 6 and used my thumb when my finger got cold (but generally just alternate between pointer and middle finger when its cold)
IMG_0872.png

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Generally agree Mike. Bar setup is very personal and a lot of times I hop on a sled and it's the same with the brake lever it's at 9 O'clock but when standing I want it pointed down at 7 O'clock. All the finger throttles I've tried have been at 9 and are too high for me I want to roll my hands forward around the bars more. I ride with a thumb throttle and it is somewhat loose as I move it around all day. It's somewhat flat when sitting on the trail and I rotate it down when standing.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Generally agree Mike. Bar setup is very personal and a lot of times I hop on a sled and it's the same with the brake lever it's at 9 O'clock but when standing I want it pointed down at 7 O'clock. All the finger throttles I've tried have been at 9 and are too high for me I want to roll my hands forward around the bars more. I ride with a thumb throttle and it is somewhat loose as I move it around all day. It's somewhat flat when sitting on the trail and I rotate it down when standing.
Funny you say that Brandon cause I do the exact same thing, constantly rotating the throttle position. The thumb throttle that is. LOL

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been riding with the stock throttle flipped around to about 7:30 and run it a little loose since the 90s. Cant run a thumb throttle.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also run my stock throttle flipped around, don't like thumb throttles but i do have a thumb screw on my throttle block so it can be easily loosened and reversed back to the factory position if needed. a drawback i have found though is snow will sometimes build up on deep days and prevent the throttle from closing fully at times in the finger throttle position.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I had to go finger throttle as it the only thing that is safest to ride for me. After recovery from my brain surgery I have no sensation in my right hand if it is totally numb. I kept hitting full throttle without even knowing with my thumb ever since I switched to finger it's made riding a lot easier for me.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with everything said, my finger throttle is in the 6:30 to 7 position and I never sit, not even on long trails into riding areas. And my brake is about 7-7:30.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from the guys I ride with if it’s a simple choice one one or the other it’s definitely yes or no not much maybe. I ride thumb have tried finger felt so odd I’m certain unless a physical reason there’d be no switching.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may have have to install a finger throttle for the Mrs. her hand is not big enough for the thumb throttle, and she does not drive it fast enough to hold it to the tape all the time.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried a finger throttle, its not for me. Totally personal preference

Top Bottom