Decisions decisions!!! What would you do?!?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya laying by the pool dreaming of skidooing, lol I might get bored............NOT............. Where you live now, all kinds of doo guys going your way and willing to help..........LOL

Prince George. I invited Maxwell, but he didn't answer. I feel like he doesn't care as much as he pretends to ;) and my feelers are in danger of being damaged.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you unhooked your hood and the problem went away I have to say that you've isolated it. I'm not sure how the wires are routed through the hood as I have never taken one apart but it's possible that something isn't connected properly or rubbing. I guess you could have swapped hoods with another pro to see if your problem went away and the other sled got the issue, but that does no good now. Kinda surprised your dealer isn't even trying to keep you happy during "snowcheck season".

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well... there has been a suggestion that something in the stator and regulator is bad and can't handle the electrical load unless the headlights are unplugged. It eventually will fry the ECU if that is the case.

Swapping hoods is a good idea. If it IS the wiring harness or something rubbing, it should fix when swapped. If it is the stator and recoil then it should keep doing it???

I think he is trying to keep me happy and his boss happy. The service manager is between a rock and a hard place really, but I wish he was more worried about keeping me happy. I wouldn't snocheck anyway- if I wanted new colors I would get a new wrap and powdercoat the rails ;)

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2013 Polaris ProRMK 800

Sooo... Sled has been down since February 27th when I brought it in for a bogging and dying issue. They discovered the jack shaft bearings are almost kaputz so I have been waiting on back ordered parts for that. I phoned today and parts are due at the main Polaris factory MAYBE tomorrow and will take another 5 days to get here. So that makes it a month since my sled was down IF they are right about the estimated arrival date on the parts. They haven't even looked at the original bogging and dying issue.

(They tell me this jack shaft issue is new, but yet dealers all over are back ordered and ordering extras... Fishy?!?)

Meanwhile, I have organized a ladies ride for next weekend and the snow is falling quick and dirty outside the window ensuring that this weekend's snow should be fantastic. It could be the last great snowfall of the year considering the warm temps and low snow levels we have seen here this season.

BUUUTTT the service manager tells me that if I pay the labor and taxes for his guys to open a sled in a crate and rob the parts he can have me back in business tomorrow afternoon. A "mere" $300 to fix a warranty issue that should be free. ????? Insert heavy sarcasm here and sick feeling in stomach :(

What would you do?? Get out the lube cuz either way I am getting screwed???

I can definitely say that if this had happened when I rode a T&T Powersports Cat, the parts would have been robbed and the sled fixed for free minus the cost of overnight shipping two and half weeks ago. Maybe my standards for customer service are just too high and this is normal?
Sounds like a job for a shop demo sled.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris won't cover it under warranty if the dealer doesn't use Polaris parts.

Nope... They are totally stumped. I was giving the ideas from what others on this site found this morning.

My sled returned a detonation code on diagnostics, but he says that could mean anything. Just the simple act of the engine stuttering and dying will cause that code to flash. He said it could be a fuel issue, but if that was the case then why did bypassing the wiring harness at the ignition fix it? He couldn't answer that question... Maybe someone here can...

Rotax Kid, you are right, I don't know what makes the Poo bearings so special that I have to wait for them versus aftermarket... But I bet if I used non-Polaris and had an issue down the road it would become a warranty fight.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris won't cover it under warranty if the dealer doesn't use Polaris parts.
That's a very good point. It's way better to have dissatisfied customers unable to ride their product. But there is no problem.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting read, sorry to hear about your scenario SledMamma. As far as Polaris not covering the repair for not using Polaris parts, I'm pretty sure that is BS. On the automotive side of things, the manufacturer's prime concern is customer service. Many times if a part wasn't readily available (including bearings) I would pick up aftermarket parts and claim them on the repair order as an NPN part (no part number). I'm certain Polaris does not manufacture bearings, so there would be a cross reference to NTN, SKF, FAG, or Timken, but they would have to provide the OEM manufacturers bearing numbers, or dimensions to obtain a suitable replacement. Sounds like a $12 bearing, the shaft could be sleeved for a repair that would hold.
I suspect if the dealer really went to bat for you to Polaris and had a reasonable fix already planned out (see above), they would have authorized the repair, but it requires a bit more effort on the dealer's part instead of calling them to say "it's broken". Personally, I'd look for a new dealer (T&T)...

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you handed him the 300$ did you let him know this will be the last machine you purchase from him? Or are you waiting until after you pick it up?

What a shitty situation.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was going to say, "Karma will get you every time" with the second post but I bit my tongue and wanted to see how the thread went. A lot of sympathy for you Sledmamma with this situation, as it should be.

Good dealers are getting harder to find and decisions are getting harder to make whether it be about dealers, brands, or repairs. Sometimes it is good to be a faithful follower and be brand loyal, like with the 2008 XP as eventually things turn around and get better.

I don't know the whole story but I doo know that T&T have a faithful following for a reason and a lot of it isn't because it is a Cat dealer. You may have to eat some crow in the future but Bonneyville is a long friggin' drive from PG.

Decisions, decisions, decisions..........I am sad about your dilemma but I can't offer you a sled from this distance.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to say, "Karma will get you every time" with the second post but I bit my tongue and wanted to see how the thread went. A lot of sympathy for you Sledmamma with this situation, as it should be.

Good dealers are getting harder to find and decisions are getting harder to make whether it be about dealers, brands, or repairs. Sometimes it is good to be a faithful follower and be brand loyal, like with the 2008 XP as eventually things turn around and get better.

I don't know the whole story but I doo know that T&T have a faithful following for a reason and a lot of it isn't because it is a Cat dealer. You may have to eat some crow in the future but Bonneyville is a long friggin' drive from PG.

Decisions, decisions, decisions..........I am sad about your dilemma but I can't offer you a sled from this distance.

Hmm... Bonnyville to PG.... I think that T and T may have an employee who is willing to do deliveries.............xoxoxo

:D :D :D

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So got a call from the dealer today said parts will be in on Thur or Fri next week,said ok can you put it back together so I can ride this weekend he said ya I guess so.Told me to call him about 2pm,get a call at 12:30 sled is done you can pick it up.When I get there to pick it up found out the update is done,new jackshaft bearings top gear and bolts,don't now where they came from and didn't ask but the sled is in the back of the truck ready to go.Not sure of the details but I'm sure no one was charged $300.Gotta love a good dealer.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So got a call from the dealer today said parts will be in on Thur or Fri next week,said ok can you put it back together so I can ride this weekend he said ya I guess so.Told me to call him about 2pm,get a call at 12:30 sled is done you can pick it up.When I get there to pick it up found out the update is done,new jackshaft bearings top gear and bolts,don't now where they came from and didn't ask but the sled is in the back of the truck ready to go.Not sure of the details but I'm sure no one was charged $300.Gotta love a good dealer.

Oh ya?!. Oh ya?!? Well... I paid $300, bent over and ..... got my sled back ?!?

Yeezus Christmas that just makes me mad all over again.

CRASH1000

Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to put a smile on your face and take it and when you get out there it all seems to be worth it.

Top Bottom