Chin Strap

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do so many people ride around with their helmet undone? I'm not talking about light riding either, like full out big mountain riding and their chin strap is flapping in the wind. Without that done up your helmets effectiveness is greatly reduced if there's any at all.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I don't get it either. I've seen a few pop off. I'll see if I can find plio7 's video.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like all the pro hockey players whose strap is loosened out right to the max, so it won't actually hold the helmet on their head if they go over backwards. They are just to cool to actually do it up properly....

NytroNorm

Reaction score
I am definitely guilty of this, I find the best way to keep my goggles clear is to pull my helmet off whenever I stop so I end up not doing it back up. Anybody tried a quick latch setup? something that can be operated with gloves on?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I am definitely guilty of this, I find the best way to keep my goggles clear is to pull my helmet off whenever I stop so I end up not doing it back up. Anybody tried a quick latch setup? something that can be operated with gloves on?
I have the same issue but I keep helmet on and use quick straps on goggles.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I have the quick latch on my helmet, and it works awesome!! Easy to detach with gloves. You CAN latch it with gloves, but it's a LOT easier with bare hands. It's just a small window you gotta hit and easier without gloves. That's all.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex says he doesn't cuz one time by pure fluke he saw a guy get his head sucked in between the tunnel and track when he wiped out and it drug him down the hill by his neck cuz the strap was done up.

Not sure how the hell one would even get it in that position in the first place but that's his ridiculous justification for not doing it up.

I've hit hard enough without it being tight that it rolled over my eyes. If I hadn't had it strapped at all it would have come off. Always strap it up tight now.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Tex says he doesn't cuz one time by pure fluke he saw a guy get his head sucked in between the tunnel and track when he wiped out and it drug him down the hill by his neck cuz the strap was done up.

Not sure how the hell one would even get it in that position in the first place but that's his ridiculous justification for not doing it up.

I've hit hard enough without it being tight that it rolled over my eyes. If I hadn't had it strapped at all it would have come off. Always strap it up tight now.

But what if the initial impact that picked you off knocked your helmet off too and then your head got sucked in....... If anything that situation should solidify why you DO wear a chin strap

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the quick latch setup and works great! No issues at all.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest and just say I'm too lazy! I know I should, maybe a new yrs resolution for me. Thanks for the reminder!👍

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But what if the initial impact that picked you off knocked your helmet off too and then your head got sucked in....... If anything that situation should solidify why you DO wear a chin strap
Probably not any more likely to happen than the example I gave but a good point.

I look at it from the same point as wearing a seatbelt. Sure there are a small percentage of accidents where the seatbelt may have caused more of an injury or a death than if it hadn't been worn but in the majority of accidents it has been proven to reduce injury and death. Therefore I wear it.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your helmet isn't secured properly, you may as well wear a toque. I raced bikes for years and had a few concussions even while wearing a properly fitted top quality helmet. One could argue that snow is softer, but trees and rocks aren't...odds are that wearing a improperly secured helmet will be a more severe injury than if you'd not worn one at all (think c-spine injury).

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The tether argument could be brought up, then he has no excuse. haha

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What if tex says you don't need to wear a seat belt?
Probably not any more likely to happen than the example I gave but a good point.

I look at it from the same point as wearing a seatbelt. Sure there are a small percentage of accidents where the seatbelt may have caused more of an injury or a death than if it hadn't been worn but in the majority of accidents it has been proven to reduce injury and death. Therefore I wear it.

Top Bottom