800R Rave Valve Concerns

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with dropping in a new motor i want to make sure EVERYTHING is in perfect working condition, on of the components that has me worried is the Rave Valves as i have had issues with them before...

When i tore my 07 valves apart they were full of black gunk and free water, i cleaned them really well and put in updated guillotine's so they wouldn't break and cause engine failure.

Now with looking at using the same system on my new motor i am worried that the valves #'s 20 & 24 could be plugged with that black gunk or condensation. The lines may very well be full of gunk as well....

Would it be a good idea to replace the springs in these too? heard of the #4's breaking

Has anyone ever replaced any of these pieces before? should i be worried about these components? don't need the rave valves not functioning properly with a new motor....

Ontop of possibly reworking these i would also like to rebuild carbs (will need to jet them anyways). and rework or get a new oil pump.

Any and all comments or feedback is appreciated!!!

Thanks

Attachments

• Rave Valve.jpg
    Rave Valve.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 223

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt worry about the valves depending on price. if they are cheap go hard and replace them but i would assemble the raves and just clean the lines out and ensure proper operation of the valves with the caps off. if they are both opening fully no need to replace the valves. if they arent they could be a culperate. you can test this once you get the new engine assembled.

as far as reworking the raves.

you need to replace the following items

#3 x 4
#4 x 4
#5 x 2
#8 x 2
#13 x 2

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just checked your looking at 230$ to replace those 4 valves. i would ensure there proper operation before replacing something that may not be required

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It never hurts to change the Seals# 8 & 9 as well. A leaky bellows will cause performance issues.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use the two greases/sealants that are pictured for the valve on the seal ?

#30 Part# 420297433 Molykote G-N, 50 G
#31 Part# 413707000 Molykote 111, 150 G

Are these important to use so the vavles are sealed properly and operate as they should?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didnt both with that stuff just used that white grease sorry not sure of the name..

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with dropping in a new motor i want to make sure EVERYTHING is in perfect working condition, on of the components that has me worried is the Rave Valves as i have had issues with them before...

When i tore my 07 valves apart they were full of black gunk and free water, i cleaned them really well and put in updated guillotine's so they wouldn't break and cause engine failure.

Now with looking at using the same system on my new motor i am worried that the valves #'s 20 & 24 could be plugged with that black gunk or condensation. The lines may very well be full of gunk as well....

Would it be a good idea to replace the springs in these too? heard of the #4's breaking

Has anyone ever replaced any of these pieces before? should i be worried about these components? don't need the rave valves not functioning properly with a new motor....

Ontop of possibly reworking these i would also like to rebuild carbs (will need to jet them anyways). and rework or get a new oil pump.

Any and all comments or feedback is appreciated!!!

Thanks

What have you been using for oil?:beer::d

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Much of that vaccum system is useless and removable with a couple other small changes.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS:beer:

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didnt both with that stuff just used that white grease sorry not sure of the name..

Lithum Grease ? used to use that stuff for everything !

What have you been using for oil?:beer::d

Not sure what the previous owner ran before i got it but nothing but doo full synthetic. it did have 1500 on it before i got hold of it so maybe he was using junk....

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use the two greases/sealants that are pictured for the valve on the seal ?

#30 Part# 420297433 Molykote G-N, 50 G
#31 Part# 413707000 Molykote 111, 150 G

Are these important to use so the vavles are sealed properly and operate as they should?

Was told by Brad at Trackside not to use anything, just clean up and put together dry.

Top Bottom