800 Can Am vs Polaris 850XP?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL. You probably just need to add a bunch more weight, that way it'll increase the traction and in little mudholes like that one your tires won't spin, thereby eliminating the problem in the weak diff. De-tune it, add quite a bit more weight, and i think you'll be able to go where no quad has gone before.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm, diff was probably strong enough for stock components, but when ya fak with it, you have upset the apple cart. can't see it being anyone's problem but yours. ride it like a loon and stuff breaks. just can't understand how ya think otherwise. i find it funny how it is alway's someone else's fault. you will keep find the next weakest point until ya make it bullet proof, or heaven forbid ya learn how to ride. (probably after ya open yer wallet enough)

till then just keep telling everyone that it wasn't your fault. we all believe you, sure.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm, diff was probably strong enough for stock components, but when ya fak with it, you have upset the apple cart. can't see it being anyone's problem but yours. ride it like a loon and stuff breaks. just can't understand how ya think otherwise. i find it funny how it is alway's someone else's fault. you will keep find the next weakest point until ya make it bullet proof, or heaven forbid ya learn how to ride. (probably after ya open yer wallet enough)

till then just keep telling everyone that it wasn't your fault. we all believe you, sure.

Lift kits cause brake lights to fail... I shoulda known.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

can't see a lift affecting the brake light unless ya pulled the wires or something, only you will know. parts are engineered to withstand so much abuse, when exceeded they break, your fault not the manufactures plain and simple. some parts are engieered to fail before other expensive parts go boom. modify and you will find the week links,

so quit yer bitchin and get a fixin.

shenry

Reaction score
LOL. You probably just need to add a bunch more weight, that way it'll increase the traction and in little mudholes like that one your tires won't spin, thereby eliminating the problem in the weak diff. De-tune it, add quite a bit more weight, and i think you'll be able to go where no quad has gone before.

AHHHHH, lenny your back when you said you were done, funny how when I give you something you come and get it, otherwise your waisting your time with an assumed 16 year old.

What's wrong with a loon, see them all the time at mud bogs and in lakes, I guess nobody should ever switch their stock tires ever-ever again. I never said it wasn't my fault, i Can take it or I would not post it, it's still my opinion that the diff should be stronger, then mild changes could be made, I don't think my mods were any where near extreme. Is it OK that I removed the warning stickers or do you think something might happen now. This problem with the diff is rare as far as my research went, driver error no doubt.

Amen

can't see a lift affecting the brake light unless ya pulled the wires or something, only you will know. parts are engineered to withstand so much abuse, when exceeded they break, your fault not the manufactures plain and simple. some parts are engieered to fail before other expensive parts go boom. modify and you will find the week links,

I think, you think too much, just saying. Manufactures need to account for more, so your opinion is yours, mine is different, but now that I know how week the diff plate is.....well I guess you can say I have been given the fine print and don't agree with it. It is a lot harder to lock front tires that are smaller but whether you stop the small tire immediatly or the big one, then the diff will see the same force, it's just easier to stop or lock a big wheel, so if you are in a situation with a small tire that did lock up because it had enough traction, then the diff plate would still brake, something else for you to think about. Am I still bitchin......do I care.....probably not.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh! bigger tires are not a minor change, bigger tires put way more load on the drive train, than smaller tires. as you say they stop faster? economics play a big part in what a manufacturer produces, yes they could put stouter parts in, only guys modifiying will still find the weak point. you can do whatever with your stickers, maybe chew on them for all i care. just my opinion, usually i'm right.,

Last edited:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just making funnies. Water got into the housing when it was going for a dunk and burned it out.

shenry

Reaction score
Bush's baked beans in tangy sauce with bacon is good.......very good, just as good going in as they are going out.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like some of you who have no experience on any of these machines I'll chime in, cause i have nothing better to do! My Brother has both, a 2009 800 can am and a 2011 polaris 850xp. The quickest, the fastest and the one with the most yank is the the Thundercat!! Oh yah.... that is my ride. We have raced all of them and there is no replacement for displacement.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like some of you who have no experience on any of these machines I'll chime in, cause i have nothing better to do! My Brother has both, a 2009 800 can am and a 2011 polaris 850xp. The quickest, the fastest and the one with the most yank is the the Thundercat!! Oh yah.... that is my ride. We have raced all of them and there is no replacement for displacement.

you think so? you have'nt raced all of them then.. i say there are lots of 800 that you would lose big time against....
i would be carful what you say. LOL.. could get you into trouble, just sayin....the old pussycat has been put in its place
a bunch of times already by different can-am's, not just mine. seen it and done it. i mean they are fast but not that fast...

Last edited:

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh great , here we go again !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

Snorked N' Torked 1000

Reaction score
i will say canam all the way. i had a 2008 outlander 500 and i went though more things on the trails than an equivalent popo could g even look at. popos are heavy and underpowered, and not that reliable. plus look at the warranty that canam provides. its 2 years standard and popo only has a 6 month... i had almost 3000 km on my outy before i sold it and there was never any issues with it. it always ran perfect and i drove the crap out of it. i upgraded to the 2012 outlander xt 1000 recently and id like to see a machine that can keep up to me on any terrain. mud, snow, trails or rock it doesnt matter. i will never own anything other than a BRP product. my dad has the 2011 outy 800 max and same thing he has almost 1000 km and never had any issues with it. we push snow with it and play in the mud.

Can-Am 110% the way to go in this decision. they may a touch more but the xt package from BRP comes with way more Extras than the popos do. and there is no stupid plastic front bumper to break if you hit anything.

H2O

Reaction score
I own both..... both great machines. Xp is smoother riding, better in off camber technical riding, better 4x4 system.

Canam... is faster(quicker), better exhaust sound, more fun factor (wheelies).

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you think so? you have'nt raced all of them then.. i say there are lots of 800 that you would lose big time against....
i would be carful what you say. LOL.. could get you into trouble, just sayin....the old pussycat has been put in its place
a bunch of times already by different can-am's, not just mine. seen it and done it. i mean they are fast but not that fast...

Well you might be right? who knows. We compared all stock machines, the Can am had 800 miles on it, the Polaris had less then 100 and my t-cat had about 200 (I bought a non current this summer). Im sure the 850 xp and the t-cat would do better after they loosened up a bit..... however the t-cat was faster over all, that was our experience anyway. The canam was not a 800r by the way, they are all powerfull and a blast.... the t-cat has alot more power available as it should....it's a 951 cc?? i think it has been detuned from the factory for its first few years (warrany etc).... of course you could probably say the same for the polaris and the can am?? They're all fun anyways.

Snorked N' Torked 1000

Reaction score
well first off comparing the t-cat which is a 951cc so you cant really compare it to the outy 800. if you wana compare lets compare my 1000cc outy to your t-cat! im sure it will out perform 99% of the time. ya sure it is a 971cc actually but everything within the macine is tuned perfect and on top of that even with it being restricted from the factory and not putting out its full potential fo power lets add some mods like an exhaust and maybe upgrade the clutching and see which machine is still in front. even with both machines stock te outy will be faster, corner better, has a far superior 4x4 system and clutching is soft when needed but agressive when you need it to be too.

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree the can am is faster then the t-cat but lets not get into the 4x4 systems i own a renegade and a tcat and im not a fan of how the viscolock works. ill stick with when u want diff lock you got it

fishmanmark

Reaction score
if you want sporty buy the renegade, if not buy the polaris....way more ground clearance, make sure ya change the front axles, it only took me 10 min to break mine, also 4x4 works all the time everytime, the qe visco is better than the old, the can-am is better for mudding, but the polaris is better for the skeg( the front diff is a lower ratio so the front wheels stay on top of the skeg because there spinning at a lower speed)

the only thing better on the can am is, stronger front axles, and more power....trust me, they can both wheelie, the lock and ride system is great, may not look good, but works awesome, fuel mileage is the same on both two ups, can-am still over heats(gotta relocate the rad), both need snorkels if going deep, if ya need a setup for the polaris 850 touring and want to keep the front storage i got a setup for ya

we ride with all kinds of quad

good
-yamaha great reliability and low maintenance
-honda indestructible
-polaris king of mud/skeg
-arctic cat ground clearance
-can-am power
-suzuki rear sealed brake
-kawi power potential

bad
-yam, ground clearance, tipsy
-honda, gutless
-polaris, weak front axles
-arctic cat, they fall apart, poor suspension
-can-am, over heat, lack of ground clearance
-suzuki just average everything
-kawi, belt, steering, suspension

just my two cents of what our family has had happen to all our machines

ps polaris is the only machine that has not over heated on a ride so far, time will tell

Last edited:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well I have'nt raced every 800 can am out there LOL... but I know that if there is one (stock to stock) that is faster then the T-Cat I would love to see it! Loosing BIG time to a Can-am 800 is just a figment of your imagination. :beer::beer:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah ok, stock to stock, 800 to the CAt 1000 and the cat is quicker in the drag race...i will agree with you there.. i was thinking of modded machines...but come to a x- country course and then to see which bike handles and corners better, well we all know which one is leaps and bounds better in the handling and suspension area's. frame geometry, suspension, handling, braking is can-am's world. Now the R motor might give the cat a different run.. this i don't know..

id like to touch on the 4x4 thing...from what i have learned over the years of following GNCC and mud racing and having attended lots of these events like this in the U.S., the feed back is this..before can-am popo always had a better 4 x 4 system then any one else.. to have a locker, where you must come to a stop quits your forward momentum before you can put it into 4 x 4 lock.. mud races are not won that way.. niether are xc races... the popo's on demand as your moving and one wheel feels slip and the fronts kick in.. very effective and much bettr then a locker... once you lock with the popo your locked till its not needed
anymore... no coming to a full stop and loosing all the forward push...

now when can-am came out in 07 there visco-lock was very slow.. took about 6 rotations of the front non powered wheel untill the fronts locked up.. so even under acceleration this was a bit quicker but going slow and you had some delay.. this got better in 08 and 09 and in 2010 they came out with the QE Visco lock.. i installed a QE in my 2007 rene when my stock front diff bit the dust... what a difference! day and night.. now i have it stock in my 2010 Xxc and the QE is so fast its just like the popo on demand system now.. what better way to approach a mud hole with speed and you get full lock at that speed. I mean look at all the mud and xc professional racing.. can-am on the poudium 9 out of 10 times all the time.. got to say something about the new visco-lock...

right now with all the machines out there the on demand (popo) and QE visco are the best 4 x 4 systems out...bundle the new visco lock on the can-am's along with great supension and great frame geomerty they have to offer, not to mention the most powerful motor in its class too and you have a machine to be reconed with imo.

we also talk about overheating.. you will only overheat if something is not right with your cooling system.. like saying that i wash my rad all the time.. so may people have said this to me and when i look at there rads all the corners and edges are all full of mud and dirt.. the centre does not count.. the full rad after every ride MUST be washed corner to corner, side to side... i have had a can-am now since feb. of 07 and when my 07 got stolen o got my 10 and i have never overheated ever... total km on both bikes...like 12000k and no over heat..

getting back to the quicker machine, well if we are talking dragging then like i said the cat seems to be quicker in the top end situation then the can-am.. i mean now with all my mods i am 2 full lenghts faster than a 1000 can-am stock with only a slip-on.. mod the 1000 now and its a different story again. stock to stock the 800 averages about 47 rwhp on a dyno and a 1000 averages 63 rwhp on the dyno.. they have the 1000 up to about 83 rwhp now as a stock bore.

im pushing a touch over 65 rwhp on my 800 and now they have cams coming out for the 800's that would give me another 5 or 6 hp, giving you a total of 71-72 rwhp... these new billet cams seem to be working very well and having an extra 5 or 6 rwhp would be great...in the torque department which is quite important also the new cams are only giving 1 to 2 ftlbs more than what i have.. they ar up to over 45 ft lbs of TQ in the 800's now!

before i ever owned a can-am, i owned 2 popo's and 2 yamaha's..

Last edited:
Top Bottom