2021-2022 Revelstoke Area Updates

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
The last place I’d be dropping down when the snow is deep and it’s -29 is toilet bowl. We should donate to the club to put signs up to stay away from that hole but some would just take that as a dare unfortunately.
Problem is....drop in or come in from both sides....
Cant sign it all....

Common sense.....

We never started a sled other than moving a few in and out of shop.
I get it though. Drive here for a few days only...
Your gonna ride...

Just ride smart and make good decisions......
I would not want to really try want to try all my survival gear out period.....Let alone in these temperatures...

Hopefully just lost..stuck... But not injured.
That is a nasty area to break a trail out of...

Mark and I have been there done that,,,,
Mr Hurkot has been there done that also,,,,

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem is....drop in or come in from both sides....
Cant sign it all....

Common sense.....

We never started a sled other than moving a few in and out of shop.
I get it though. Drive here for a few days only...
Your gonna ride...

Just ride smart and make good decisions......
I would not want to really try want to try all my survival gear out period.....Let alone in these temperatures...

Hopefully just lost..stuck... But not injured.
That is a nasty area to break a trail out of...

Mark and I have been there done that,,,,
Mr Hurkot has been there done that also,,,,
Had a buddy drop in a couple years ago. They tried to get Burandt to ride it out as he was as at Grizzly Lodge and is friends with them. He told them to get Johnny to look at it as he was a better rider which is quite the statement. Johnny looked at it and told them to get a chopper. Snow conditions were to deep. Sled spent 4 days in there till a chopper was able to long line it out. Buddy spent 4 days trying to get it out on his own to save the chopper bill but couldn’t. That was his riding for the 5 days they were out there. Buddies would double him in every morning and double him out every afternoon. Haha

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Well it was basically Awesome in the sun Yesterday. Felt like a small inversion but it wasn't....lol
Trail up and down were the killer. Wondered if the OEMs can make hot grips hotter....haha
Go slowish and it wasn't bad. Nice to have a cabin to warm up in and cook some nice eats.
And trail was frozen stiff so smooth up and down. Great day finding some sweet stashes to shred as well with family and friends.
Safe sledding!
RS

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toilet bowl is very bad. Just don’t. Even if you have the skill it won’t matter if it slides. Once you’ve realized you’re in it, just walk to the cabin. I went in with a friend (a local who assured me it was ok to drop there) in 2012. My sled was stuck so bad the more I shoveled the more it sunk. Rob Alford found someone to double me back down to the parking lot. Went back there the next day with 13 people (mark shaede and his crew) and rope to get it out.

Haven’t went back since

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it was basically Awesome in the sun Yesterday. Felt like a small inversion but it wasn't....lol
Trail up and down were the killer. Wondered if the OEMs can make hot grips hotter....haha
Go slowish and it wasn't bad. Nice to have a cabin to warm up in and cook some nice eats.
And trail was frozen stiff so smooth up and down. Great day finding some sweet stashes to shred as well with family and friends.
Safe sledding!
RS

Need a 97-01 vmax Those grips with the dial for temp were the sh%t even in this cold with low blacked out windshield that didn’t do anything they got hot hot

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of the toilet bowl?

It’s beneath the cabin in this pic.

IMG_0910.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing being tough enough to ride in it and another thing to get caught overnight in it. That would be my biggest concern in this weather.

Exactly, it’s not very wise to be out in that temperature, it will take a pile of work and energy to keep a fire going in those temps.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Exactly, it’s not very wise to be out in that temperature, it will take a pile of work and energy to keep a fire going in those temps.
To keep a fire going with dry dead wood. Peeps who break down or make a camp generally, don't plan the location as to the availability of standing dead trees.
To park for lunch beside a nice fire making tree is much different than breaking down or getting really stuck in an area of "green only trees". My cut off temp is now set at -10C. I don't rock the highly insulated gear that the flatlanders wear and am not and don't want to be prepared for chit in weather below my cut off temp.
Been there, done that and don't like it!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought we were taking the easy way back to the cabin once... tried to come back under the “U” in jhurkots pic... was a few butt puckered moments. Glad we didn’t end up further down in the bowl.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We bailed, had rooms booked for mon-wed, I guess we are too fair weather bias. I have rode at minus 20 but can’t say it’s fun for me anymore, have a breakdown and it gets serious fast.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a couple spots you can get turned around to head up, but your going to need to be a bit of dangler, and not everyone can dangle. I agree putting up a dozen signs would pay off. You will not stop everyone, but likely get most of them. Also, post a warning in the cabin to be aware of the area. S&R heads there quite frequently throughout the winter.

Last year a snow-bike successfully dropped it and made it to the creek below trail before he ran out of light and called S&R. He is one of the only ones I know that made a successful dissent. I believe there is a way down, that some guys have dropped, but there is not a lot of room for errors.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Lots of frost bitten people stopping at the cabin.....
Could not beleive the folks racing up or down...To damn cold..
No goggles. No balaclavas. Natural selection I guess. Lol.
Like Climax said..just go slow and it is not that bad.
Take warm up breaks.

New sled ran great. Few miles to break in new sled.
Found some sweet snow in areas.

Found out my new cut off for sledding. LOL.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad JH chimed in on toilet bowl here. After reading some of the earlier posts I was starting to think it might be worth a poke, see what this gnarly terrain is all about and if the new sleds can tame it. But now I'm back to 100% avoid after the fresh warnings.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad JH chimed in on toilet bowl here. After reading some of the earlier posts I was starting to think it might be worth a poke, see what this gnarly terrain is all about and if the new sleds can tame it. But now I'm back to 100% avoid after the fresh warnings.
If Johnny says to stay away I’m not going to argue with him. Lol

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always been curious about the toilet bowl. So it's not a place for an experienced rider to go play? Can you ride out the bottom? Guessing not if experienced riders can't get sleds out. Would love to see some pictures.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how does SAR deal with a sled and rider that goes down there? Walk the guy out and heli the sled?
You can walk in and out. Buddy that had his sled in there for 4 days till it was picked out walked in and out every day trying to get it out. It was a workout and a half he said

Top Bottom