How fast can your life change?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow what a ride you had Kyle. Don't know you but thanks for sharing your experience and reminding me of the dangers that come with this sport. Had a few "close" calls myself and thanking my lucky stars. Have a Merry Christmas and happy mending!

mastin

Reaction score
Don't know you Kyle but your story has done a lot of good for making us all think. Glad you are coming along. This has brought up a question should we be having extra health insurance as Albertans going to B.C. or is there some extra insurance we should have in case we should have an accident.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turple bros has them on the counter I run the kind at have the metal to metal contacts some are all plastic
have them on 3 different helmets would run a helmet with out now

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope some of my riding buddies will read this and start doing up their chin strap... If not I will remind them...

I hope you and all the other guys healing up get well soon and have a Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope some of my riding buddies will read this and start doing up their chin strap... If not I will remind them...

I hope you and all the other guys healing up get well soon and have a Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year!
Still won't do mine up as I have seen some one's helmet get sucked up a track and tunnel and drag them down to the bottom by the neck

Couldn't believe what we had seen and that the guy didn't break his neck

Had to use a log and take some skid bolts out to get helmet out of the track- tunnel samich it had

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know you Kyle but your story has done a lot of good for making us all think. Glad you are coming along. This has brought up a question should we be having extra health insurance as Albertans going to B.C. or is there some extra insurance we should have in case we should have an accident.

I couldnt tell you yet. I got choppered off the hill on a stretcher, had a high angle rescue team flown from jasper to get me. All I done is give them my Alberta health number. I haven't had anyone knock on my door yet lol. I've got really good benefits thru manulife at work, so I'm covered for all my medical expenses. I don't really know if there's anything "special" about it.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And with regards to the chin strap, I don't think it woulda helped my broken leg, lol, but according to how busted up my nose was with the strap done up, Id hate to see how mangled it would be if my helmet came off. There's a lot higher probability of an incident happening involving loose straps and helmets coming off then helmets getting sucked up underneath tracks in my opinion. But, to each their own. What works for me may not work for everyone else.

Happy holidays everyone! Stay safe out there.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
And every now and then someone is lucky to have not been wearing a seatbelt too....those are the exceptions to the rule, much more likely to bang your head off a rock or a tree than have your head sucked up into the track.....priorities I guess, my head isn't as thick as yours.

One question....what do you think would have happened had his helmet come off before his head got sucked into the track??????

Still won't do mine up as I have seen some one's helmet get sucked up a track and tunnel and drag them down to the bottom by the neck

Had to use a log and take some skid bolts out to get helmet out of the track- tunnel samich it had

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And every now and then someone is lucky to have not been wearing a seatbelt too....those are the exceptions to the rule, much more likely to bang your head off a rock or a tree than have your head sucked up into the track.....priorities I guess, my head isn't as thick as yours.

One question....what do you think would have happened had his helmet come off before his head got sucked into the track??????
Don't think it would have, and either did the guy

That's one of the first things that came up after we new his was ok

My helmets tight on my head, it would have to be a tree prying it off my head to get it off, but it would still come off dragging my body down a hill

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thank Kyle for sharing such a ugly experience, I gota do the chin strap up more myself.. had a buddy have something similar happen many years ago, he sat there a long time as well waiting on a rescue and was not sure if he would live threw it, he had many many broken bones and needed a few years of theorpy, but hes riding again... I was always a bit nervous with m light 509, but feel better now

merrychristmas

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thank Kyle for sharing such a ugly experience, I gota do the chin strap up more myself.. had a buddy have something similar happen many years ago, he sat there a long time as well waiting on a rescue and was not sure if he would live threw it, he had many many broken bones and needed a few years of theorpy, but hes riding again... I was always a bit nervous with m light 509, but feel better now

merrychristmas

I was a little skeptical as well after I bought my 509 helmet, but after seeing the abuse it took, with no injury to my head (other then a busted nose somehow), I'll definitely be buying another one next year. Maybe it was just luck, maybe not.

Merry christmas bud.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score

My helmets tight on my head, it would have to be a tree prying it off my head to get it off, but it would still come off dragging my body down a hill

My helmet is super tight too. But the force of prying with a tree is nothing compared to the force of inertia when you come to a dead stop at 70kms I can tell ya that.

And I wonder if you by chance did have your head sucked in and once half way in it popped off how your head would fare coming back out of the tunnel with the track spinning

Or as stated above if your helmet popped off before your head got pulled in......

Last edited:

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My helmet is super tight too. But the force of prying with a tree is nothing compared to the force of inertia when you come to a dead stop at 70kms I can tell ya that.

And I wonder if you by chance did have your head sucked in and once half way in it popped off how your head would fare coming back out of the tunnel with the track spinning

Or as stated above if your helmet popped off before your head got pulled in......

Noperoo only happens one way. The way he said. Head first straight into spinning track. It's green rep worthy lol i got no stroke. Just boring

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kyle, I am glad you are on the road to mending. I had a friend with a similar incident experience this, and I wasn't far behind... Good thing he was a better sidehiller than me. (Long story short..he was on a cornice and it let go, He broke his fib, tib and ankle, spent 23 hours on the side of the mountain. We felt like chit to not be able to get to him.)

Tex, that is a chinstrap and TETHER prevents. No reason not to wear it. That is a million to one scenario.

I have seen many just fall of their sleds on the trail and see their buckets roll away.. It's not just a head warmer folks... Randy didn't have his bucket fastened.. He was lucky...
02,04,060012.jpg Nothing worse than seeing your riding buddy's tracks end at a 262 ft drop..

02,04,060028.jpg

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story Kyle, keep your head up and get better! Glad your doing well

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow just read this thread start to finished watched all the videos, and it has been one of the best threads I have seen in a long time. Kyle glad to hear your recovering well what you went through could have been so much worse. Glad you are home for the Holidays as I am sure your family has that same thought 10 fold!! After reading this I will be buying a sat phone and programming the numbers into it for the areas I ride. I do pack a first aid kit in the sled, and a survival kit in my back pack..never leave home without those two things. My Spot is hit or miss whether a message will be sent or not, having the phone is a much better option.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you can pull it over your head, it can come off just as easy.
I've seen two guys blow their helmets off that didn't think they would ever come off. Skin grafts to the one guys face after was enough to convince me to always do up my strap. Just because one guy got his helmet stuck in the tunnel in a once in a lifetime freak accident it doesn't justify to me to not do it up. There's a better chance of you owning a Polaris than ever getting your head stuck in the tunnel.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can pull it over your head, it can come off just as easy.
I've seen two guys blow their helmets off that didn't think they would ever come off. Skin grafts to the one guys face after was enough to convince me to always do up my strap. Just because one guy got his helmet stuck in the tunnel in a once in a lifetime freak accident it doesn't justify to me to not do it up. There's a better chance of you owning a Polaris than ever getting your head stuck in the tunnel.
Huh

A polaris u say eh..... Ya it would be a frosty friday before that happens

Guess mabe Thursday before frosty friday might do up strap.... We will see

Top Bottom