How fast can your life change?

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
75mph track speed going up a mountain face, beautiful sunny Sunday day being spent with good friends, pushing each other further and harder. Then stop. Rewind. You realize you didn't use any knowledge from any avalanche or mountain riding safety course, your 75mph track speed turns into 0 almost instantly when you run out of ground and you're just free falling. So how fast can your life change? Pretty fast if you ask me.

As I'm sitting here in my hospital bed, listening to people around me struggling to hold on to their lives, their every last breath, I close my eyes to try and escape that uncomfortable feeling, then that feeling of free falling off a rock face comes rushing back every time and I come to my senses, in a ball of sweat and the viscous cycle continues.

On Sunday morning, December 7, a group of 7 of us got out of bed at summit river lodge, all on our last days riding. We got fueled up, had another amazing breakfast thanks to terry and lisa, and we all converged out into the parking lot. First day that trip we had no idea where we were riding that day. I think we were all thinking if we didn't ride at all none of us would complain due to how sore we were from the 4 days prior, especially me. I planned on staying at the lodge, helpin terry out around the lodge and nap cuz I had to be at work back in fort Mac on the very next nkght. Then we decided Clemina would be the shortest, and I ended up going anyways.

My group and I isn't that familiar with valemount at all. We spend a lot of time in revelstoke, no peticular reason that's just where we'd usual end up. Valemount left a very positive mark on our group. The terrain is very assorted, the guys and locals you find there are top notch and always willing to lend a helping hand. This is where my story gets interesting. As we played around on goat ridge that morning, pushing each other further and further, I had a moment of mental collapse and misjudgement that really left a mark on me. I grabbed a full handful of throttle and blasted up over the top of goat ridge on my newly built pro rmk turbo and then panic set in instantly. I found myself free falling with no control on the backside of that mountain. All I could remember was pushing my sled away and closing my eyes. I landed on a small ledge of rocks. I could see my brand new sled tumble beside me and down the mountain. As I looked down, I noticed my leg was at a 90 degree bend around my thigh, exactly where my femur is. I quickly grabbed it, to straighten it out and the pain that came with that almost overcome me. I grabbed my radio from my pocket and started to tell frantically, yet desperately into the mike to my friends to "come get me guys I'm hurt really bad". I had punctured my tongue and nose from the impact so every time I would talk, blood would spew from my mouth.

Thankfully, there were angels watching over me that day. I guess if you really factored in every detail of my accident a lot of guys wouldn't put money on me surviving that day. But here I am, retelling my experience. Luckily for me, Curtis from varda, who we all know around here as "dpsnwlvr" was putting on an avalanche course in the area and watched me the entire time as I was having a ton of fun blasting up past my buddies high marks till free falling lord knows how far and wriving in agony on the hill. Curtis and Scott was the first to respond to my accident, in a very quick mannor. They both calmed me down over the radio, gave me tips on what to do to stay alive while they were calling search and rescue on their SAT phone. My memory of the events past this are still very vague. So if anyone has a story of their own to share from that day please do. I rememver the guys telling me to keep my leg elevated, to keep moving my hands, foot, arms, shoulders, everything I could to keep blood recirculating. I drank lots of water, and just prayed to hear that chopper come over the mountain tops...

Due to the high risk of my rescue given my location and nature of my injury, a highly trained team had to be flown in from jasper. So minutes turned into hours, the cold set in really heavily at this point, and I started loosing all hope that I was actually going to be rescued. Then I started to cry. I was overwhelmed with feelings from everything, I started to believe that I wasn't going to get rescued, and that I would eventually fade away on the mountain just to become another snowmobiling statistic. I thought about my parents, my grandparents, my friends, family, everyone that meant anything to me and it was then that I became rejuvenated with hope and a new sense of survival. I wasn't ready to die. So again, I started to shake, rub my hands together, followed the steps the guys were giving me earlier in the day and in no time I could hear the chopper flying over the mountain tops.

A big thanks goes out to the jasper search and rescue team, those guys did an awesome job handling me in so much misery on the mountain slope.
Curtis from varda. Bud I was always be in your debt, I truly believe you're the reason why my family isn't having a funeral right now. Thanks for everything.

And everyone else that was there to help lift me in and out of the chopper, ambulances, hospitals, everyone!

So currently, it's day 6 after my accident. I'm laying in my hospital bed at the royal Alexander in Edmonton now resting. My surgery went well on Monday, to put a rod and screws into my femur, and those crazy physiotherapy chicks have already managed to get me out of bed and hobbling around on 1 leg. My sled was flown off the hill 2 days ago, and it's rebuilding time for that as well. Doc says I could be here for another week, depending on how quickly I can get up on my own and hobble around on crutches and be able to use the washroom. I've received a lot of love and support from my family, friends, and even complete strangers here on s&m. If anyone has any pics or videos from that day feel free to post em!

Again, I can't say enough, thanks to everyone that saved my life that day.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the day after my surgery

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1,712

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I guess you could say I've learned my lesson. My life changed that day. It almost ended, and that's why it's changed so much. I need to regroup for next season, start touching up on my knowledge and training courses, and I advise everyone else who hasn't done so yet, to do the same.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,719

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing kyle. Tough to put that scenerio into words. Your experience has been an eye opener for a lot of us following over the last couple of days because it could truly happen to any one of us even if we are as prepared as physically possible. I've got myself rethinking strategies and repacking my backpack. The stars were aligned for you that day bud having Curtis and Scott on scene is likely the most comfort one could get in that type of situation. Top notch guys with top notch training and experience. Thanks for sharing your story and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad you're doing ok, femurs take quite a while to heal. I know a guy who broke his roughly a year ago and it took I think 8 months before he could walk. Sucks it happened but hopefully its a wake up call for people and can prevent other accidents or at least make people realize they need to be prepared if anything does happen.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Thats quite a experience and I hope it all comes out well for you. I also had 2 separate incidents in the last few years that opened my eyes. 1 was being stuck in Pigeon lake for 14 hours when my Seadoo went down. I floated right down the middle of the lake and had lots of fun. The second was when I snapped my right arm off at the elbow climbing cliffs in the river valley near Genesee, that one took 4 years to get my life back to normal after they put it all back together. Ugh...

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I'll also add that when I would close my eyes after the arm/dirtbiking incident, I would re-live the accident over and over. That went on for months and only added more stress to a very bad situation. I hope your not going through that...

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll also add that when I would close my eyes after the arm/dirtbiking incident, I would re-live the accident over and over. That went on for months and only added more stress to a very bad situation. I hope your not going through that...

Yeah im having nightmares every single night, every time I shut my eyes almost. It's torture. I haven't been able to sleep much at night at all, only time I get sleep is when I'm under a big dosage of morphine after a day where I've had to do a lot of exercise.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Kyle how you doing man? I have broke my femur, my arm 3 times, my shoulder and my ankle 3times also,, so i know how it goes.
you'll get ur confidence back,trust me.:beer:

Ahhh I'm still alive that's the main thing. Been laying here for the last 2 hours not able to sleep. Kinda wishing we came to Revy after all to ride with you for that week hahaha. Thanks for the support man, I can't see myself being on a sled for a while yet tho

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhh I'm still alive that's the main thing. Been laying here for the last 2 hours not able to sleep. Kinda wishing we came to Revy after all to ride with you for that week hahaha. Thanks for the support man, I can't see myself being on a sled for a while yet tho

yeah man it will be a while, 6weeks after i broke my femur it hit a 100ft double on my bike and bailed...Retard... Take ur time, we'll ride in the spring:beer:

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are ok. I was in a sled shop in Camrose yesterday and a guy there was talking about the accident and how useless everyone felt knowing that they couldn't do anything to help you. Life can change too fast.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your luck. its really something anyone of us can relate to. I'm sure weve all looked back at some point and realized we cheated ourselves and ended up over our head.

I hope your recovery goes well.

rest up knowing that by telling your story youve really made me think about whats on my sled and whats in my pack. ive forwarded this to all in my riding groups to open their eyes as well as just like in your case..we all need to rely on others at some point and I sure hope they are as prepared as what you had around you.

rest up and take care.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your luck. its really something anyone of us can relate to. I'm sure weve all looked back at some point and realized we cheated ourselves and ended up over our head.

I hope your recovery goes well.

rest up knowing that by telling your story youve really made me think about whats on my sled and whats in my pack. ive forwarded this to all in my riding groups to open their eyes as well as just like in your case..we all need to rely on others at some point and I sure hope they are as prepared as what you had around you.

rest up and take care.

Couldn't have said it better, Thanks for sharing Kyle! keep positive thoughts and see you on the mountain in no time.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll share my story, it's not really sled related but I hope it helps in your recovery. 3 years ago my 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with a genetic disorder. The only treatment was a stem cell transplant. Which requires wiping out your immune system with chemo and radiation. My wife was 9 months pregnant with our second child so it was up to me spend the nights with her in the hospital. I spent every night with her for 5 months, up every hour with diaper changes, blood pressure monitoring. The quickly realized the only way to survive this and get out of here was day by day and stay positive. I would walk out of the room to go shower at the Ronald McDonald house and see other families who were dealing with children a lot worse than us and say I'm happy with what I was given. My daughter is doing well now, she will always have some hurdles to overcome but she is amazing. Now for you, the bone will heal perfect but the brain is fragile. You will need to take your mind to a place where it is positive and not let yourself get angry. **** happened but how are you going to let this story end. Any time you start feeling sorry for your self get motivated. I missed out on 3 years of sledding to help my daughter.,but that's ok we were one of the lucky ones who got to leave as a family ,missed it a lot but now I'm back riding and just thankful for everyday I'm not in a hospital. Hang in there with your recovery you can do this.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to here you're on the mend! That's a crazy story for sure! I think of all the sledders that I know of and been around Curtis is the guy I would want around when that happens! When I first read your story I thought how lucky you were to have Curtis there! One more reason why vale is becoming the number one place to sled! Good job to all who helped out on the rescue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wishing you a speedy recovery Kyle. Thanks for sharing your story. Can't imagine what all was going through your mind that day waiting for the chopper. I will be sharing this with my boys (28 & 23) as they have only just started going to the mountains last couple years.

I will also be reconsidering my planning and survival gear as we prepare for a trip to Valemount.

Thanks again and get well soon man. You lived to ride another day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom