Riding at the lake (3rd addition)

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A big Hello to all that read my B.S.

This year I'm starting a bit early, many things on the go, but first a few things that have gone on here at the lake. First of all, BLEW my left knee out, tore all the tendons off the knee cap, well when that happens you just lay there crying like a little girl, needless to say you are now in need of a good surgeon, well the folks a Westlock hospital are the greatest, I'm recovering quite well. I was suppose to get my right knee replaced in sept but that is on hold now untill the spring. The doctor indicated I should stay off the sled this year, well that means I need tracks for the Rhino, at least I will be able to keep up with the kids on a family ride, I guess I will be carrying the hotdogs and refreashments this season.

Well I had a lot to think about when I was sitting on my A$$ for six weeks so I will be the official trail groomer at the Lake this year. The plans are made, the steel has been requested and the groomer will be built.
For those of you that ride at the Lake you know how the trails are beat to death close in, so I hope that will be a thing of the past. I will be grooming a few short trail rides around the lake area this year, mostly nice one hour family rides, I'm told that the Rhino will burn alot of fuel with the tracks on so I will not venture too far from home.
Well this is the start to 2011-2012 season, hope you are having a great summer, a here's to a great fall and winter.:thumbsup2:

My weather prediction was pretty close last year and I hope to keep it up for this year as well. I will do my 2011-12 prediction in October, BUT there is 105 more days untill snowmobiling at the Lake, so start thinking about getting your ride ready.

See you on the trails
Don :cool:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Well I see there is a few guys poking around the winter sites already, I'm not looking for winter just yet, but the season will be here before we know it. I was out north of Wabasca today and the trees are just about to turn.
I have installed the doors on the Rhino, that will make it very comfortable in the cab with it all closed up when I start to do the grooming. I picked up the two foot plastic culvert last week, that will be use to drag behind the rhino to knock all the snow down before the groomer goes out.
Last winter I got a chance to go on some groomed trails near Hanmore Lake, I think the Smoky lake club looks after that area, I was impressed, if I can do as good as that it will be a nice ride at the lake this year.
See u on the trails
Don

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good Don. Hows the leg doing ??
Maybe we can get out and do a little trail clean up again this fall before the snow falls

Last edited by a moderator:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Mark, the leg is getting strong, still have to be cautious for the next six months
I will give u a PM soon, there is a group of us that will do some trail cleaning in sept. I installed a temp. guage in the rhino, I think it will be necessary when I start pulling the groomer, just riding around on the roads the temp is 160f, the "sites" say u shouldn't get above 225 f
see u on the trails
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
krd photo.jpg

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure would be nice if you could get your trails like these from the Forts trail system
^ft drag for sale on Grooming Talk for $2000.00. Need to get a club going so you can sell trail passes to pay for this grooming and get insurance. Just a suggestion

Attachments

• 480.jpg
    480.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 646
  • 491.jpg
    491.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 650

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Glen are trails could NEVER be as good as the trails at the Fort, but we will make do. Give me a year on this and I will have it down pat.
see u on the trails
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mogal master.jpg A custom made groomer like this one will be used at the Lake starting this
season

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the drag is almost finished, It was a fun little project. The frame will be placed over the drag and bolted on to it, it will be pulled behind the rhino. The theory behind the use of a drag is you pull it first knocking the air out of the snow, and changing the shape of the snow flake. The plastic culvert will be turned over when placed in the frame, it will compress the snow starting the grooming process. After the sleds are on the trail I will start using the groomer to collect the snow, shave the moguls and repack it like any groomer does. 197.jpg 199.jpg

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
036.jpg Well folks went for a little ride last weekend, the forest floor is exploding with so many colours, and the trees are just ready to break into the brilliant yellows.
It was -2 here this morning, other than it was too cold it makes for a great day. Where ever you live, get out and enjoy this season, it's going to be WHITE before we know it.
See you on the trails
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks I think it's time to get this show on the go. Summer is over, the leaves are just about gone, and I'm predicting snow on the ground to stay by Halloween. The tracks for the Rhino will be here soon so we have to get charged up for the next season. Shrek dropped all the steel off last week for the groomer, now I have a project to keep me busy for the next few weeks.

See you on the trails

:thumbsup2:
Don 030.jpg 001.jpg 028.jpg

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
008.jpg 007.jpg

This is the Snow Drag, the idea is that this takes the air out of the snow and sets it, This is used first, I will put some heavy green logs in the middle for weight and pull it in the areas that I will be grooming this year.
See u on the trails
Don

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 108591A custom made groomer like this one will be used at the Lake starting this
season

Don that will work nicely. How long is it? I would stretch it out to 9.5 ft for a smooth tril. Short drags will make the trails wavy. Ask Ministic Man about theres. Our drag is 5ft x 9.5 feet Your side by side will have no problem pulling it. Larger packing pan is better

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking to ride these future smooth trails. These trails are nice to make some time to get to the powder BUT can also get people to maybe go to fast and head off the trail. OOPS

Attachments

• Alpina pics 487.jpg
    Alpina pics 487.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 237
  • Alpina pics 495.jpg
    Alpina pics 495.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 233

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Glen, this is just the drag to knock the air out of the snow, the groomer will be used after the trails get used by sleds. After reading Groomer talk I decided to go this way instead of building a roller. DO you have any contacts in Alberta that will sell me 6 ft of "Snow Comb" mogal master.jpg to put at the back in of the groomer?, can't find any in Canada.
This is a close copy of what I will build for the groomer. I have planned to have the groomer 6 ft X 10.5 ft

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks It s about time I made my winter weather Guess,
October is half over and it appears it will remain nice, sorry folks, hang on it will turn cold as of next week end and be freezing by Halloween, - 10 or colder.
November is a crap shoot for me this year, I can see -25 by the 3rd week and warming up for the 1st of December, but we will get the white stuff and like I said if we get the right temp. we could see a foot of snow or a dam good rain in the middle of the month.
December is as average as it gets, about 6 inches of snow in the first week and then flurries for the rest of the month. Christmas is warm this year, and we will freeze our buuutts off during the newyears party here at the lake.
January will seem like it never ends this year, very cool and snowy.
February and March never changes here at the lake, two feet of snow -30, and we are always hoping spring will be here by the first of march, sorry folks it will be the 1st of April this year.

Now if you believe all this B.S. good, and if I`m wrong there is always next year.
:)
See you on the trails
Don

Top Bottom