Riding at the lake (3rd addition)

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Glen, this is just the drag to knock the air out of the snow, the groomer will be used after the trails get used by sleds. After reading Groomer talk I decided to go this way instead of building a roller. DO you have any contacts in Alberta that will sell me 6 ft of "Snow Comb"View attachment 111386 to put at the back in of the groomer?, can't find any in Canada.
This is a close copy of what I will build for the groomer. I have planned to have the groomer 6 ft X 10.5 ft

That will be good. Use that design with the angles and blade design to build your drag. Mogual Master has all the R and D done for you already. Tried and proven design. Just make it longer and wider to fit the Rhino. Trip blades are a must for sure will save damage to your Rhino. I see that drag has no trip blades. Not good will be hard on the rhino with moguals and stumps and rocks. Try to find info on trip blades. Will take some close up pics of trips Sat for ya and post them here.

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
028.jpg 027.jpg 026.jpg

Well folks the groomer is off the drawing board and onto assembly. The weather is co-operating and making this a fun project. I haven't welded in quite a while, it takes time to get the rod pouring smooth again.

See you on the trails
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks autumn is still here and it doesn't look like it is going to leave, WRONG, hang in there, the white stuff is just around the corner. We went for a little ride last week and here is a few pics. Also the groomer is coming along quite well, a few more hours and the fab. will be complete. I forgot to mention, a Rhino with an enclosed cab is the only way to go on a cool fall morning!!!
See u on the trails
Don
019.jpg 024.jpg 003.jpg

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Folks
I haven't had too much to say lately, working on the groomer, it's pretty much done, have to do a little clean up of the welds, grind down some of the ugly stuff. My neighbour calls my welding, "Gorrilla Welding", it's strong but Ugly. Oh well it will not come apart.

The north end of the lake is frozen over, there is about 2 inches of ice about 20 feet out, thats as far as I go for at least a week. It would be nice to see 10 inches of ice before we get a big dump of snow.
There has been quite a few hunters out and about, so if you are venturing into any forest wear something bright.

See you on the trails
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks
It's snowing! not alot but the ground is covered. I hope we don't get too much, the ice on the lake is only a few inches thick, that will cause all kinds of problems for us.
:d
See you on the trails real soon
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks if you don't like the weather in alberta they say wait 24 hrs and see what you get, WHOW did we get it at the lake, 6 inches if the finest heavy packing snow. The good thing was the lake was so wet from the rain the snow just melted when it hit the ice.
Anyways we had to go for a little scoot today and took a few snaps along the way. For those of you that frequent the lake you should recognize the area.
P.S. There's nothing better than an enclosed cab with a 12000 btu heater on a cool day!!!
See you on the trails
Don:D
001.jpg 003.jpg 007.jpg 004.jpg

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That 1st pic looks like what we used to call the "green bridge" at the north end of the lake......

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fell thru that damn creek, stay off that creek even during the dead of winter:nono:. look like winter's finally here:).

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's right. the bridge at the north end of the creek. Yes stay off the creek, it can make for a lot of work .
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks since we got all this snow I thought I would try out my Drag. This is a copy of one I saw on the site called Groomer Talk. The only differance
is their's rolled the snow and mine just drags the snow under it. I went for, 001.jpg 003.jpg
keep it simple.

As I have said in previous threads, this compresses the snow first and starts the process , the groomer will come later when the trails get rough.

See u on the trails
Don

joe-bert

Reaction score
how long before the trails are open? got an itchy thumb and waiting to get out! never been to the lake. but right now just looking for somewhere to even just go ditch banging anyone know of somewhere with enough snow yet?

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks
I would say if we get any snow during this next forcasted dump you could come up and go for a ride in the lake area. Of course the lake is not ready but you could put on a few miles on your sled as long as you watch out for the nuggets.
The tracks are in and I will put them on this weekend, and see what thats all about.

See you on the trails
Don

Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lake had a cover as of last week, the north end which freezes over first has a few inches. I will start ice testing this weekend and give the depths. Normally it is the first week in December before I venture across the "Narrows" to the far side of the lake. By then there is 8-10 inches of Blue ice.
See u on the trails
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks
The tracks came in on friday and the install took all day saturday. If anyone tells you they can do that job in 2.5 hrs let them do it. That was an a$$ buster and two sore knees to boot.
But they do work nice, you can go stright up on a snow cover hill.
we'll see you on the trails
Don:D
003.jpg 002.jpg

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg Well folks since I have the tracks on I put the drag on the back and did some trail work. I put 30 km on this afternoon, this area will be where I had plan on grooming this year, There is some trail clearing needed but I can get to that over the next few weeks.

I did some ice testing and it measures approx 10 inches where I was drilling the holes. The area is from blk 14 beach across the lake to the opening on the far side.
I have not seen that much ice this early for quite a while.
I would not drive a pickup on it but the sleds and quads are ok. I did not test any other locations , but there was quite a few guys ice fishing in the middle of the Narrows. off blk 11.

See u on the trails
Don:)

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow groomed trails Don, I'm impressed. I'll be looking here as to when i can drag mine out there to go play. did any melt this past week or no? How much snow would you say is out there?

thanks
Marek

Top Bottom