WHERE TO CAMP? KOOTENAY LAKE TRIP 2023

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a lot of possibilities on that route.
Near Kaslo for camp sites Mirror lake is nice, I've stayed there. There is also Toed Rock, google them, though they cater a lot to motorcycles they have RV sites. It is a very interesting place I assure you. I've also stayed there.
Both these places are within 20min of Kaslo on the south side.
When you head south on #6 towards Lumby and head along side Mable lake on east side there is a provincial campsite on the east side of the lake near the beginning of the dirt road. There is a forestry site more at the north end of the east side. BUT if you continue and your heart is into exploring some you can drive around the lake on to the west side of the lake and there is another forestry site around the 25-27km markings. Its called the Noisy Creek forestry site.
When you leave you would continue on the west side till you hit pavement again and head towards Enderby then Vernon. OR you can go to Lumby then Vernon if you take Trinity valley road, google it. It will take you back to where you started in Lumby on a different route.
Once in Vernon, unless you want to deal with chaotic traffic use the Westside road to get to Kelowna, beautiful drive. (you'll go by my place LOL)
It looks like you will be driving the Coq for Merritt, when on the Coq. at the summit look for the giant windmills on the right, hard to miss LOL. Once in Merritt take the old highway 5A along Douglas lake to go to Kamloops. If your plan is to go to Adams Lake, go to Chase and take the Scotch creek turn off, head towards Adams lake, there are couple site to camp. You can drive through to Barrier and continue on your journey that way. Have fun.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a lot of possibilities on that route.
Near Kaslo for camp sites Mirror lake is nice, I've stayed there. There is also Toed Rock, google them, though they cater a lot to motorcycles they have RV sites. It is a very interesting place I assure you. I've also stayed there.
Both these places are within 20min of Kaslo on the south side.
When you head south on #6 towards Lumby and head along side Mable lake on east side there is a provincial campsite on the east side of the lake near the beginning of the dirt road. There is a forestry site more at the north end of the east side. BUT if you continue and your heart is into exploring some you can drive around the lake on to the west side of the lake and there is another forestry site around the 25-27km markings. Its called the Noisy Creek forestry site.
When you leave you would continue on the west side till you hit pavement again and head towards Enderby then Vernon. OR you can go to Lumby then Vernon if you take Trinity valley road, google it. It will take you back to where you started in Lumby on a different route.
Once in Vernon, unless you want to deal with chaotic traffic use the Westside road to get to Kelowna, beautiful drive. (you'll go by my place LOL)
It looks like you will be driving the Coq for Merritt, when on the Coq. at the summit look for the giant windmills on the right, hard to miss LOL. Once in Merritt take the old highway 5A along Douglas lake to go to Kamloops. If your plan is to go to Adams Lake, go to Chase and take the Scotch creek turn off, head towards Adams lake, there are couple site to camp. You can drive through to Barrier and continue on your journey that way. Have fun.
Great info, you pointed out some of the best back road routes. Even the road over the turtle from Adams lk turn is a great backroad to. From there straight up to Kamloops.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1/2 Way Hot Springs is a pretty cool spot as well. 12km off highway just North of Nakusp.

There are way too many places to explore across BC. Just the East Kootenay area could take months, if not years

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took a truck and camper over it years ago. Typical logging road. Grab a beer and enjoy the drive
It is a great route, just rough as phuk.
Know a guy who rode his sled solo from Grey Creek and broke down. Walked all night until sledders from Kimberly found him in the am.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ainsworth hot springs are def worth it !!! To get there there is a ferry, the glass house is an old morticians, also very cool.
Glass house first, then ferry over to ainsworth.

Youre gonna have a blast !

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My family had a cabin at Schroder Creek since the 60's, sold in the early 2000's when the folks retired to Creston. Didn't make sense to have a cabin an hour away. It is a nice quiet place to be. I believe there is still a small campground there. It is north of Kaslo about 10 miles.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're missing out if you come that way and don't check out the fine dining in Nelson, Most restaurants per capita than any city in Canada. Also camping at Kookanee Park is nice especailly if the weather is good. Nice beach.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My family had a cabin at Schroder Creek since the 60's, sold in the early 2000's when the folks retired to Creston. Didn't make sense to have a cabin an hour away. It is a nice quiet place to be. I believe there is still a small campground there. It is north of Kaslo about 10 miles.
If you choose to go north of Kaslo as per DaveB Schroder creek, then you may want to just continue, the road will turn to gravel and eventually you will come to Trout Lake, there is a small campsite there, not aware of any others. The community of trout lake is ghostly, pretty much dead place but nice. Beaton is also a cool remote place to check out. Not a lot of traffic and beautiful, then you will end up at the highway next to the Gelena Bay ferry.
Personally, I would go the other way through New Denver, though either way is real nice.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bet you wish they kept it now…don’t cha. Yep the campground is still there. That little area has grown up now ,still not big but few new places in the hood.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bet you wish they kept it now…don’t cha. Yep the campground is still there. That little area has grown up now ,still not big but few new places in the hood.
I remember what the old man paid for it from his dad in (roughly) 1983. When they sold it, they got 20x more. The place on that lot is huge. Our old cabin has been refurbished into a guesthouse. Lol. It was a good move at the time.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're missing out if you come that way and don't check out the fine dining in Nelson, Most restaurants per capita than any city in Canada. Also camping at Kookanee Park is nice especailly if the weather is good. Nice beach.
Yessir, the trophy wife has a cousin who is a pastry chef at a resort or lodge in Nelson... We will have to go see her!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we can travel from Three Valley Gap down the east side of Mabel Lake and come out south of Shuswap falls or around Lumby?
google maps lets me choose a route there 50% of the time.... maybe its trying to tell me something?

Anyone ever drive Mabel Lake FSR?

Last edited:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1685114211576.png

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at Nelson in a 2021 motorcycle trip. We ate out three nights. The food was amazing but stepping over needle junkies in the lobbies and sidewalks out front was horrible. The really old hotel downtown (forgot the name) had 15 panhandler needle junkies sitting, literally 2 feet from the door. Pretty sad.

Top Bottom