2014 Yamaha Viper

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This will certainly make for an amazing Turbo application.... Either it be MCX or Boostit!!! It will happen and allot of peeps will be happy.

The exhaust looks like it would be good with turbo. Doesn't appear to have any expansion joints in the pics I saw. Guaranteed the Boost-It boys will have these rockin. GTX turbo, Water to Air intercooler and Boost-It fuel system, it will be a rocket !!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure Randy could chime in... I doubt they Chad has worked on one. Word would have gotten out if it was so.
Chad will stretch and boost an elan if you have the cash. you saying Swenny has his hands on one already?

vjc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping to do, call out the big dog, love to hear about the new build.
I personally love the sled, solid chassis and a motor that loves boost !
It's a win win situation.

I am sure Randy could chime in... I doubt they Chad has worked on one. Word would have gotten out if it was so.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to ride Chris browns nytro at the clinic with the skinz front end, sly dog skis, mountain tamer skid and mcx turbo kit. It was the first time I got to ride a nytro and I found with those mods it handled fairly well. It didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. Good experience because all I knew was the trash talk I hear on this site about them. Not the sled for me but with the right mods I can see why people love them.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO it's just a matter of time before we have a Yamaha / AC merge. It happens. Might only be for a few years and then maybe they split up again, but if competitors are working together like this, in such a small market, it's more than likely that they both need each other more than the public may be aware. My guess is that AC steps back from the snowmobile scene and lets Yamaha run it for awhile.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO it's just a matter of time before we have a Yamaha / AC merge. It happens. Might only be for a few years and then maybe they split up again, but if competitors are working together like this, in such a small market, it's more than likely that they both need each other more than the public may be aware. My guess is that AC steps back from the snowmobile scene and lets Yamaha run it for awhile.
seems to me the opposite would be the case, Cat will be pushing development and Yammie is gonna sit back....I keep hearing rumors of team blue focusing on summer toys and pushing out some new products. I guess time will tell.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thread... Was hoping for a big bore two smoke twin from the YZ250 people... 154"... Disappointed to say the least... Was gonna go see Glenn... I guess I'll settle for a PW50 for the kids...

lman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In business you make decisions that allow you to get market share. There's a chance that Cat will use same engine in their 1100's.

The video of Viper is biased but does look like it's a nice machine.

2014 SRViper X-TX SE:Overview

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is from cris reid one of the head guys at yammi canada sounds like this is just a trial thing & will be releasing more new sleds that are all yammi over the next few years there will be new sleds every year.

[h=3]February 20, 2013[/h][h=1]‘CATZ OUT’A THE BAG’[/h]Well folks, this has to be one of the most speculated new product launches in our history. I met Tom G aka ‘Mr Sled’ last night, the owner of the Totallyamaha forums web-site who told me his server almost blew a gasket trying to handle all the people itching to post on the new stuff. I have followed the 2014 thread up to around the 130th page with a lot of mixed emotions, often reflecting on what I would write here today…
I remember what I first thought and how I felt when it was proposed that we enter into an agreement with our competition and I believe I have a very good understanding of what some of you are mulling over. I think it is really important to clarify what the fundamental arrangement is about.
This is not a merger, there have been no shares bought or sold and the management, policies and organizations of each company still stand alone. Yamaha and Arctic Cat have entered into a very specific ‘supply agreement’ contract. That’s it, no more, no less.
We (Yamaha) have a long term vision that embodies our product plan which includes new engines and models designed and manufactured at our factory in Japan. Todays announcement has not seen any of our model lines discontinued. We haven’t taken anything away, instead we have dropped 6 new models into the mix and you now have more choices than ever.
The SR Viper delivers our FX Nytro engine in a unique version of Cats newest chassis which is arguably the most advanced on the market today. Yes it is assembled in their Thief River Falls facility under rapidly evolving QA protocol that meets Yamaha global standards. To best understand the foundation for this supply agreement you have to look beyond the hardware to the actual business model. I will explain more about this in the coming weeks but for now I can summarize it by saying this is a business (and customer) win-win.
We both have our strengths and are eager to learn from each other. I would like to expand on what some of the opportunities I see for the future are, but that would only be speculation on my part. And you guys clearly don’t need my help to speculate . I am going to cut my post short and let you digest.
For now; know that we are committed to evolving and building a strong lineup of Yamaha original snowmobiles with new products coming every year going forward.
We are moving more manpower and resources into North America as we position ourselves to regain our fair share of the market. We have established a new NA snowmobile team combining our top guys in Canada and the US into a cohesive business unit. We have a new ‘friend’ in our quest but it is unknown how this will ultimately unfold. Today we can offer you the industries best engine in a damn fine chassis that handles and feels different than anything else in our stable. Is it better than an Apex, Vector or Nytro? Only you can answer that… It is a very cool sled with some excellent features and you have more choice. It’s all good! Cheers cr

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who cares really. There is no lightweight fun factor 2 stroke in this lineup therefor 80% of riders don't care. Most don't want heavy and want nothing to do with boost and that means Yamaha has nothing for them.

I think you are not looking at the LARGE picture here maxwell. You say 80% of riders dont care well what you should have said was maybe 80% of mtn riders dont care. And you should realize that sadly mtn sled sales only make up a VERY VERY small percentage of total sales to any of the sled manufacturers. I personally am not interested in riding a 4 stroke either due to weight and such.

geo

Reaction score
If Chris Reid says Yamaha is still going to build real Yamahas you can believe it. Straight shooter. Until I read that I thought it was a merger thing too.

It's weird, but I think I see the plan now. When Yamaha first entered the sled game they had some fails but eventually changed the game after a decade. The use of Cat chassis stuff (they're all pretty much the same now anyway) will make their own developement go quicker and smoother and finally involve the NA team more (cause you don't have to worry about spy photos, you can just paint them green now lol).
From the photos I see a different center of gravity, stronger drive train without the "thicker wallet plate" lol, and surpisingly HPG's speced as shocks instead of just gabbing the Fox's off the AC shelves. I'll bet they don't use a single valve stack from AC even though they are using the AC suspention geometry and probably will bring their own bearings into the plant hidden in their lunchboxes lol.

The other thing is real Yamaha's will always need to cost more. First they are built better because of materials, design and technology, they pay more for labour (keep it home grown), they have to ship further, and they pay more tariffs. So how does a salesman justify the extra cost to a non-blue bleeder? Have a discount line on the floor beside it! "Her you go Sir. This one is $ 13,000 and this one is $15,000. You wanna know why??"
I had a chuckle when I pictured QC Yamaha employees watching AC employees assembling the Yamacats lol. Japanese are usually pretty polite but how many times will they watch a spring, bolt, screw or rivet fall into an airbox before they step in lol. How many will last their whole NA shift until they commit Hairy Carry lol.

I doubt I will still get to buy a Yamaha anytime soon though. They have to start a NA mountain team first. Hire someone with experience like Rasmussen and give him some help. Mountain sleds can be built from flatland sleds with lots of holes drilled in them (we've all done it) but the best are fine tuned and lightened up in the mountains of NA. The rest of the world just gets to benefit from it.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you are not looking at the LARGE picture here maxwell. You say 80% of riders dont care well what you should have said was maybe 80% of mtn riders dont care. And you should realize that sadly mtn sled sales only make up a VERY VERY small percentage of total sales to any of the sled manufacturers. I personally am not interested in riding a 4 stroke either due to weight and such.
mtn sleds sales are 30% of the market. hardly a VERY VERY small percentage of sales. in 2011 the pro rmk sold more than all other sleds in every segment, that is huge. you can bet your azz every manufacturer would love to make that claim.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I laughed all the way through that video about the viper. You just cant put a positive spin on this sled, unless you only compare it to past Yamaha sleds. I think they missed the mark on this one.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping cats running yammie engines. If the make a factory boost 200-220 with a 162" I'd have one one on order. This sled is half of what it should of been

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was and my brother-in-law was at 2100 km

Sheeeet I got that beat, one buddy went down at 1600 kms (crank) and another wound up replacing 2 motors in the same season.

I 100% agree with you however certain riding styles are physically impossible on a 4 stroke so myself would not be able to make the switch regardless of how good the dealer was. However I could be swayed either way with the 2 strokes if my dealer switched teams. You really need to ride a 4 stroke for a day some love them some hate them.

Certain riding styles are physically impossible? LOL I think what you meant to say was that they are physically impossible......for you. Lots of other guys do it every weekend. Hell, Chris Brown does it daily so it is physically possible.

I got to ride Chris browns nytro at the clinic with the skinz front end, sly dog skis, mountain tamer skid and mcx turbo kit. It was the first time I got to ride a nytro and I found with those mods it handled fairly well. It didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. Good experience because all I knew was the trash talk I hear on this site about them. Not the sled for me but with the right mods I can see why people love them.

LOL great post. I agree, same reason my buddy loves his, with the right mods and set up there is not much of a difference when riding, just gotta get used to the engine braking.....LOL He has no problems tossing that thing around and boondocking it like a lighter sled.

We all know who says they don't work in the hills and no one can ride them, and they're just flat out wrong.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping cats running yammie engines. If the make a factory boost 200-220 with a 162" I'd have one one on order. This sled is half of what it should of been
Even if they JUST do a long-track mountain version....boosting it will be cheap with closed-loop EFI....no extra injectors, just turbo, intercooler (if desired) and a EFI tuner.

Top Bottom