Yamaha to exit the snowmobile market

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
they needed to invest huge to keep up. not willing to do that it seems

same with cat, i predict 2026 for them unfortunately. Along with Yamaha they aren't showing any signs of investment into the product
I think Cat may have something up it's sleeve, but its definitely do or die time now.

I wonder if Yamaha will follow suit in ATV/UTV's as well.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Cat may have something up it's sleeve, but its definitely do or die time now.

I wonder if Yamaha will follow suit in ATV/UTV's as well.

doesn't sounds like it, they seem pretty confident in their atv/utv market they must still sell a bunch of those

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
doesn't sounds like it, they seem pretty confident in their atv/utv market they must still sell a bunch of those
there are still some Yamaha die hards out there for sure (we know a family of them).

They aren't really "current" in the ATV world either but are up & coming in the SXS World.

This announcement will hit Eastern Canada far harder than us out west here.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a total of 104,000 sleds sold in north america last year (and based on the sleds on the hill, probably less than 30% were yammys). UTV and ATVs combined were 620,000 in 2019 alone (and this might just be a US only number). Easy to see why they are getting out of the market. Sucks that it will reduce competition.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You think 30% on the hill were Yamahas? To give some context in all my trips to Revy last year I think I may have honestly seen 2 Yamahas. On my yearly trip to Chatter there was none out of all the sleds there. Mostly Polaris and Doo with a smattering of Cats here and there. 30% seems high?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You think 30% on the hill were Yamahas? To give some context in all my trips to Revy last year I think I may have honestly seen 2 Yamahas. On my yearly trip to Chatter there was none out of all the sleds there. Mostly Polaris and Doo with a smattering of Cats here and there. 30% seems high?

in my area Yamahas are non existent anymore. i would say 1% Yamaha, 10% Cat, 40% Polaris 49% skidoo

im sure theres a bunch more yamahas kicking around revy still but i dont think anywhere near 30%.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wounder how the Japanese economy is doing as a whole,,, aren't they battling high inflation ???

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We'll that's really a shame. I'd argue Yamaha can build engines better than almost anyone else, if only they'd realized that the snowmobile market is still 2 stroke domain.

Maybe some of their engineers will wonder on down the road and end up at BRP or Polaris and can help out with their engine programs.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We'll that's really a shame. I'd argue Yamaha can build engines better than almost anyone else, if only they'd realized that the snowmobile market is still 2 stroke domain.

Maybe some of their engineers will wonder on down the road and end up at BRP or Polaris and can help out with their engine programs.

well, cat still needs an 800 that fits in their new chassis so they could start there they would be just as behind the times to start. Be a really familiar workplace, feel right at home, nothing happens. Like working for the city

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, cat still needs an 800 that fits in their new chassis so they could start there they would be just as behind the times to start. Be a really familiar workplace, feel right at home, nothing happens. Like working for the city

I've pretty much given up hope on Cat, honestly I thought they'd pull the plug before Yamaha did. Yamaha always seemed to have a strong support base out east.

Maybe they'd be some help on the Cat 800 program. Maybe they could retune the Boost ECU, or convince BRP why water/meth injection ain't such a great idea.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've pretty much given up hope on Cat, honestly I thought they'd pull the plug before Yamaha did. Yamaha always seemed to have a strong support base out east.

Maybe they'd be some help on the Cat 800 program. Maybe they could retune the Boost ECU, or convince BRP why water/meth injection ain't such a great idea.

i was going to put that water meth on my G5. no good lol?

Top Bottom